Question about Batcave layout (tunnel)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Morsoth

Question about Batcave layout (tunnel)

Post by Morsoth »

Hi everyone, I'm new here (but long time reader) and very happy to be part of the group!

I am currently working on my own version of a 1:50 model of the Batcave and the Wayne Manor Study, and while looking at various blueprints, I found out a mysterious tunnel in the Batcave that I don't think we ever saw in the show. I have the series on Blu-ray, but there is so many episodes, I decided to ask here first as i know you guys are the best!

Do any of you knows if it was ever shown in the show, and if yes, what was it used for?

Ben Bentley

Re: Question about Batcave layout (tunnel)

Post by Ben Bentley »

Welcome to our board! Great to have you with us!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the orientation you're using on your overview in order to answer your question. I think your postioning of the Blue Grotto Exit is off, I feel like the tunnel you are trying to identify is actually one of two fake tunnels that were added to the rear cave wall for the movie and utilize false-perspective to create the effect. Check out the screen cap from the movie below, this is one of the clearest views we get of both tunnels (click on the image to enlarge).
Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 18.26.34.jpg
This shot from the Batcave fight-scene in the movie shows us quite clearly where the floor ends and the false-perspective tunnel begins:
Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 18.32.56.jpg
Morsoth

Post by Morsoth »

Thank you!

So I guess it's only a 2nd tunnel. I have updated my map, based on the pictures you posted. This is not the final version, but I think it's slightly better now!

rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I never noticed those tunnels!! Mind blown.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

rsaffle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 pm I never noticed those tunnels!! Mind blown.
Me either, can’t believe I never noticed that!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

The diagram looks really cool so far but depending on what degree of scale/accuracy you're aiming for, these measurements may be of interest:

Batmobile Turning Circle (painted on floor):
11'0" radius

Bat-Pole landing area:
7'6" wide X 7'4" (Bat-Pole steps - 1'3" each, two steps total)

Subterreanan Blue Grotto Exit (gate):
8'0"
greatlakes6 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:23 pm
rsaffle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 pm I never noticed those tunnels!! Mind blown.
Me either, can’t believe I never noticed that!
So in fairness, they don't appear until the movie budget allows for upgrades to the Batcave set which included most notably adding the rear cave wall behind the Atomic Pile. In Season One, it was simply a hanging black cloth backdrop.

Season One:
Batman S01E05 -The Joker Is Wild - 0274.jpg
dell

Post by dell »

Do we ever get an idea of the length of the Batpoles? The one episode where Alfred has the Joker trapped on the one Batpole gives the impression that they are much taller than I expected. Mainly because of the length of time Alfred lets the Joker drop before bringing him back up. I know its "Batman physics", but...
dell
bat-myte

Post by bat-myte »

my version of the Batcave done with 3dsmax four eyars ago,

A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

In "I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle" King Tut found the batcave thru that left tunnel, so there was some physical space back there.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2020-12-06-15h23m18s187.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-12-06-15h21m00s19.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

You can't see the pics real clear but here is a link to a copy of the original blueprints.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... blueprints
Attachments
cave map.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Interesting shot I found labeled "Break time on the set"
Attachments
caave.jpg
Morsoth

Post by Morsoth »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:57 pm You can't see the pics real clear but here is a link to a copy of the original blueprints.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... blueprints
This is not official. It was made by Mark Bennett, a TV series enthusiast who made many of these maps and layouts based on TV series. I have a Hi Res of this, and while he does have some good idea of the layout, he made human mistakes! I guess he was doing these map based on the live broadcast (or some recordings?), so it was very well made based on what he had at the time. Now, with the Blu-rays, it's so much easier!

By the way, Mark Bennett published a book, containing many of these maps, but Batman 66 was left out...

Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

dell wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:28 pm Do we ever get an idea of the length of the Batpoles? The one episode where Alfred has the Joker trapped on the one Batpole gives the impression that they are much taller than I expected. Mainly because of the length of time Alfred lets the Joker drop before bringing him back up. I know its "Batman physics", but...
Dell, you were part of this great thread from earlier in the year. I remember this was a terrific recap of the Batpoles:

viewtopic.php?p=69872#p69872
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Great stuff. If this was linked to the comics, the trophy room would be back there...
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

dell wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:28 pm Do we ever get an idea of the length of the Batpoles? The one episode where Alfred has the Joker trapped on the one Batpole gives the impression that they are much taller than I expected. Mainly because of the length of time Alfred lets the Joker drop before bringing him back up. I know its "Batman physics", but...
The study is on the first floor, so the question is whether there’s a basement/cellar for wine, etc. if so,, then the cave floor is likely 50 or more feet below the study, since it looks 2 to 3 stories high. Without a basement, it’s at least 30 ft so the Batcave ceiling can support the weight of the manor.

Anyone else care to theorize? Heck, it may be 50 ft without the basement. ;)
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!