Bat Western Name That Episode

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

exm

Bat Western Name That Episode

Post by exm »

Here's the latest chapter of my western tale of Bat-tribution - tracing Batman's decades-long hunt for his parents' killer.

Angel and the Batman

The plot was all dictated by available stills of Bat-actors sharing a scene (one exception features two actors who did numerous scenes with Adam West, but never appeared on Batman).

There are shots from 14 TV episodes or movies in this chapter. Some sources are very obvious to an Adam West fan, and some almost impossible (the most impossible being the b&w shot of Jane "Vicki Vale" Adams from the "Range Master" epsiode of Kit Carson).

Anyone think they can name the other 13 sources these are taken from?
High C

Re: Bat Western Name That Episode

Post by High C »

Can't get them all, but at least one Nancy Kovack shot is from 'The Wild Westerners.' The name on the 'lobby sign' gives that away.

And without looking anything up, the shots of Yvonne dancing are from an ep of The Wild Wild West in which she played a female assassin named Ecstasy La Joie.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
exm

Post by exm »

High C wrote:Can't get them all, but at least one Nancy Kovack shot is from 'The Wild Westerners.' The name on the 'lobby sign' gives that away.

And without looking anything up, the shots of Yvonne dancing are from an ep of The Wild Wild West in which she played a female assassin named Ecstasy La Joie.
Correct, High C - that's impressive, considering you can't turn up the film on IMDB by searching the character name in the hand bill

Also correct about The Wild, Wild West episode (Night of the Grand Emir).
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

HONK wrote: Anyone think they can name the other 13 sources these are taken from?
Nancy Kovack's fight scene is from THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965). Her opponent is Philadelphia kids' show host Sally Starr (who, btw, passed away 2 weeks ago at age 90).
High C

Post by High C »

Cesar Romero as the clown has to be from Bonanza because I recognize Dan Blocker as the other actor.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

High C wrote:Cesar Romero as the clown has to be from Bonanza because I recognize Dan Blocker as the other actor.
I think I also see the one of Adam's 1961 appearance on that show as well.
exm

Post by exm »

Shemp is correct about Outlaws Is Coming and Ms. Starr (RIP). The Three Stooges owed their 1960's resurgence to kiddy-TV hosts who gave their old film shorts lots of airplay. As a thank you, Outlaws is Coming had Ms. Starr and a whole gang of her counterparts from other big TV markets.

High C is right again on Bonanza ("The Deadliest Game")...which must surely be Romero's only other role in white clown paint.

And good catch by Catfan - the small Adam-on-horseback shots are from Bonanza: The Bride, where he was playing a villain
exm

Post by exm »

Here's the answers on the remaining photos:

Adam West and Dina (Calamity Jan) Merrill in "Desilu Playhouse: Murder is a Private Affair" (to date, the lone Adam West project with a Desi Arnaz introduction to help set the stage)

"Robert Taylor’s The Detectives: Tobey’s Place" The episode that introduced Adam West into that series as the impulsive, poetry-reading new detective on the squad

"Man From Uncle: The Yukon Affair" - George Sanders in a reoccuring villain role; for this episode, Man from Uncle not only borrowed the urbane super-villain, but a Bat-henchman to boot - Charles Horvath

Dina Merrill and Eric Fleming in "Rawhide: Incident of the Gilded Goddess"

Dina Merrill and Eric Fleming again, a few years later, in "Bonanza: the Pursued pt. 1"

Cliff (Shame) Robertson as outlaw Cole Younger in Great Northfield Minnesota Raid

Robert Taylor and Mort Mills in "Return of the Gunfighter"

Yvonne Craig in "Young Land" - judging by Yvonne's book, Dennis Hopper's behavior in this publicity still was not too far off his behavior off-set

Chapter 3 of the Bat-Western is now up on twof's site...

http://batgirlbat-trap.com/season17/Wes ... uebat.html

..but not quite as much to photo-guessing to be done here
mattman

Post by mattman »

I havent seen the stills but isnt Stafford Repp in a Bonanza 1961 episode called the Abduction about Little Joe's gal getting kidnapped at a carnival. Repp plays the sheriff
exm

Post by exm »

Right, Repp was indeed on that episode of Bonanza. Bat-actor appearances in Westerns were plentiful, so just being on screen in Western garb didn't necessarily grab my attention unless it was Cliff Robertson or Dina Merrill.

Adam was in an episode of Alias Smith and Jones that also didn't yield any great images. It turned out to be episode during which "Smith" up and committed suicide. Possibly as a result of planned scenes for Pete Duel that never got filmed, there are unusually long shots of Adam just wandering around the western set to pad the running time