Any info on SRR's Batman/Catwoman marriage episode?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

Any info on SRR's Batman/Catwoman marriage episode?

Post by robinboyblunderer »

All I've found is a snippet from an interview where he talks about setting the story on a ship so the captain would marry the Caped Crusader and the Feline Felon.

Has anyone ever found any more info on this? Was it ever written?

Could it have been repurposed into the Ogg and I episode? I think that's the one with the Olga wanting to marry Batman.

cheers
dell

Re: Any info on SRR's Batman/Catwoman marriage episode?

Post by dell »

If a ship captain married them it wouldn't be a legal wedding. Unless the ship captain is also a minister or Justice of the Peace and authorized to perform weddings in that capacity. Ship captains have no authority to marry people.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm If a ship captain married them it wouldn't be a legal wedding. Unless the ship captain is also a minister or Justice of the Peace and authorized to perform weddings in that capacity. Ship captains have no authority to marry people.
Next you'll be telling me the son-in-law of the Commissioner of Police isn't immune from prosecution! FAW! :mrgreen:
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I've been trying to track down that rumor as well? You're not alone, Robinboyblunderer. But so far there's been nothing.
==jthree
robinboyblunderer

Starts around 2:03. Really feels like the Olga episode (to a degree) but at the same time maybe not.

cheers

High C

Post by High C »

To be quite serious, there are two things you need to know:

1--Stanford Sherman wrote the (ugh) Olga/Egghead mess. SRR had nothing to do with it, unless he did an uncredited punch-up BTS.

2--The only way to possibly solve the mystery, I think, if you are this intent on doing so, would be to communicate with the folks at the University of Wyoming and spend the $$ (it's not usually an unreasonable fee) to get a pdf of the original 'story outline' (scroll down to Box 45) of the script. It's listed, perhaps incorrectly, as The Funny Felonies. That might solve the mystery once and for all.

https://rmoa.unm.edu/docviewer.php?docI ... h06851.xml

I can tell you from personal experience the original treatments of stories, basically the 'pitches,' can vary greatly from even the first drafts. Ross' outline for 'Wail,' for instance, had The Siren hypnotizing both Batman and Robin and commanding them to leap off Gotham Bridge. He also had Batgirl using martial arts (wouldn't that have been nice) and Siren using her powers to cause a shipwreck, much like the sirens of mythology. As you can see, it was much different than what we got. Those plot elements didn't even make it into the first draft, let alone what was filmed. Perhaps The Funny Feline Felonies was a lot different in his original vision, too.

Here is that outline:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/133pa7f10f87d ... r.pdf?dl=0
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Ross also talked about that in a Television Academy interview and it's referenced at 30:40 in this episode of the To The Batpoles podcast:

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Since Ross said it was Eartha Kitt Catwoman, we speculated that it must have been in her teamup with Joker. But, as we discussed in TO THE BATPOLES #106, the early drafts of the script contain no such scene. Clearly, no such scene was ever filmed or broadcast, so we have no idea what Ross was talking about! Perhaps he brought up the idea to Greenway but was shot down before he ever typed it up?

https://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/106-th ... ohn-s-drew
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

dell wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm If a ship captain married them it wouldn't be a legal wedding. Unless the ship captain is also a minister or Justice of the Peace and authorized to perform weddings in that capacity. Ship captains have no authority to marry people.
Holy Loophole! I guess, take it up with SRR's estate? : )
robinboyblunderer

High C wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:58 pm
Next you'll be telling me the son-in-law of the Commissioner of Police isn't immune from prosecution! FAW! :mrgreen:
He's not...?
robinboyblunderer

Jthree wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 pm I've been trying to track down that rumor as well? You're not alone, Robinboyblunderer. But so far there's been nothing.
==jthree
Could be one of those great unsolved Bat-mysteries...
robinboyblunderer

High C wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:37 am To be quite serious,
Whoa! Let's not get crazy here...
robinboyblunderer

High C wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:37 am To be quite serious, there are two things you need to know:

1--Stanford Sherman wrote the (ugh) Olga/Egghead mess. SRR had nothing to do with it, unless he did an uncredited punch-up BTS.

2--The only way to possibly solve the mystery, I think, if you are this intent on doing so, would be to communicate with the folks at the University of Wyoming-----

https://rmoa.unm.edu/docviewer.php?docI ... h06851.xml
My thinking was it could've been a Rabe/Semple situation though it seems doubtful they'd re-write SRR like that. Maybe there's a draft lying around who knows. Thanks for the link and suggestion of contacting the archives, maybe I will one day.

Also thanks for the Wail outline, though you had shared it with me before years back and I still have it.

cheers
robinboyblunderer

bat-rss wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:40 pm Since Ross said it was Eartha Kitt Catwoman, we speculated that it must have been in her teamup with Joker. But, as we discussed in TO THE BATPOLES #106, the early drafts of the script contain no such scene. Clearly, no such scene was ever filmed or broadcast, so we have no idea what Ross was talking about! Perhaps he brought up the idea to Greenway but was shot down before he ever typed it up?

https://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/106-th ... ohn-s-drew
I appreciate the feedback.

And thanks for the Rabe script, I recall reading some outline of it on some other site years back that listed a bunch of behind-the-scenes document, don't even recall the name of that site or if it even exists but it was fun to read the actual script.

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I'm blanking on the name of that site, too. It was taken down, but as I recall someone found it on the Wayback Machine site. Hopefully someone else can come up with the name! I thought I had a bookmark, but I can't find it.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"