When did we know "Desmond Doomsday" was the narrator's name?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rocketboy

Desmond Doomsday

Post by rocketboy »

When did fans learn the name Desmond Doomsday? Was it a Semple script? Batman' 66 comic?
Ben Bentley

Re: Desmond Doomsday

Post by Ben Bentley »

In the scripts he simply referred to as "NARRATOR".
Narrator-Jokers_Last_Laugh.jpg
My understanding is that it was actually the release of TV Soundtrack album that first introduced us to the Desmond Doomsday pseudonym.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Dozier says it the Telescope interview back in 66.

Desmond Doomsday

The full interview can be found in our video section. I used to host this video on my batfriend site since 2005 before YouTube. Ah, the good ole' days.
http://www.66batman.com/1966/03/07/will ... view-1966/
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

In the William Dozier 1966 Telescope Biography interview with Fletcher Markle, Dozier states he is Desmond Doomsday
bat-rss

When did we know "Desmond Doomsday" was the narrator's name?

Post by bat-rss »

A TO THE BATPOLES listener emailed us, asking when and how it was revealed that Dozier's narrator "character" was called Desmond Doomsday. How do fans know this? Haven't seen it in any of the original scripts.

In the current, Author House-published edition of Eisner's Batbook, it is mentioned in a long quote from Dozier on page 19. "We named him Desmond Doomsday." I don't know if Eisner talked to Dozier himself or got this quote from somewhere. But I thought, well, maybe this is how fans knew it.

But then I thought, well, this is not the original version of the Batbook; is it in the Contemporary Books version from the '80s? We have a PDF of that (thanks, High C!) so I consulted that. The entire Dozier quote is in that book -- except for that sentence! This raises a ton of questions. Why did Eisner add it later? Is Desmond mentioned elsewhere in the original version? Did fans learn of Desmond's name from the Batbook (old or new), or elsewhere?

So I thought, the all-seeing, all-knowing '66 Batman Message Board was the place to ask! If nobody here knows the answer, then the answer can't be found anywhere!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks! OK, so general knowledge of this clearly predates the Batbook!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Re: When did we know "Desmond Doomsday" was the narrator's name?

Post by Ben Bentley »

I've been trying to pin down the airing date of Telescope episode, although we know when it was shot i'm intruiged as to when it actually aired as the other reference point for an audience's introduction to the name "Desmond Doomsday" in 1966 was via the Television Soundtrack sleeve notes that I referenced in the other thread earlier this week.

Either way, "DD" was canon from within the first season of the show.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 am ...the other reference point for an audience's introduction to the name "Desmond Doomsday" in 1966 was via the Television Soundtrack sleeve notes that I referenced in the other thread earlier this week.
Saved me the trouble of scanning my album just now as well. Well done, moderator Ben of "The All-seeing, All-knowing 1966 Batman Message Board"!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Scott Sebring wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:52 am
Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 am ...the other reference point for an audience's introduction to the name "Desmond Doomsday" in 1966 was via the Television Soundtrack sleeve notes that I referenced in the other thread earlier this week.
Saved me the trouble of scanning my album just now as well. Well done, moderator Ben of "The All-seeing, All-knowing 1966 Batman Message Board"!
I think i'm going to start introducing myself as "Ben Bentley A.S.A.K.B.M.B" in professional situations.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Some crossing of the streams posting going on here.
I merged two identical topics.
Please check for recent posts before starting a new one that is already being discussed, please. ;)