TO THE BATPOLES #155: The Entrancing Dr. Cabala

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #155: The Entrancing Dr. Cabala

Post by bat-rss »

When Stanley Ralph Ross sat down to write what would be his final Batman script, which he titled Batman Meets his Match, he built it around a magical character who could turn invisible: Dr. Cabala. It was only in a later draft that, for whatever reason, he made Cabala the second banana to his alchemist wife, Dr. Cassandra. This time, we examine both versions of the script to see how much of this story was intact from the beginning and which aspects evolved later. Also, why do pseudosciences like alchemy and astrology tend to get lumped together?

Also, Batman for 8 Cellos, Holy Deja Vu looks at Angelique Pettyjohn, and we read your mail about our episode 152 Riddler talk with Wally Wingert!

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #155: The Entrancing Dr. Cabala

Post by High C »

I really, really enjoyed the show. This was a fun comparison of the original draft with what wound up on the screen.

Some thoughts:

From the call sheets I've seen, and I suspect the moderators could back me up on this based on paperwork, rehearsals and read-throughs were pretty much nonexistent, given that the Bat-shooting schedule was super-tight. As soon as the footage for one episode was in the can, the next episode began shooting. And many times, as Adam and Burt often discussed, two arcs could be shooting simultaneously.

In fact, I intend to post something on the board analyzing the shoots for a certain two episodes to illustrate just how tight the skeds were.

As for who was doing on-set rewrites, I suspect Charles Hoffman factored into that, and perhaps even Stanley Ralph Ross himself. I mean, he talks about being on-set quite often, plus, let's face it, with his bombastic personality, It seems he often ran roughshod over Hoffman anyway.

My guess on that throwaway joke about 'a financial institution so conservative it pays no interest at all' is that maybe Hoffman actually crossed out the joke and Horwitz resuscitated it. It's hard to imagine SRR EVER crossing out a joke.

Some terrific observations by you guys: Tim noted how there is no time in season 3 for Bruce and Dick to be doing some kind of hobby stuff when the call comes. I agree. I missed that stuff in season 3. Good call from Paul about network TV violence becoming a buzzword by then (late 1967).

Again, Paul you make good points about all the pseudo-science, and how the pseudo-science that is going to win always is going to be the pseudo-science of the heroes.

As you noted, Paul, 'darlings' wasn't in the final revised script, so somebody added the darlings. And you're right, it's not hipster lingo. And yes, Tim, 'The last thing you're about to see' sounds like a flubbed line by Lupino.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

High C wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:26 pm I intend to post something on the board analyzing the shoots for a certain two episodes to illustrate just how tight the skeds were.
This has definitely got me intrigued, as has discussion of this episode. I'm way behind on my podcast listening, and this is a good inducement to get caught up.
High C

Post by High C »

Also, I wish Ross had written in his first draft exactly what monetary venues Siren was getting from Doc and Cabala: Record stores? Concert box-office hauls? The toga stores for Gotham's college frats? ;)

Good point by Tim about how 'Batman Meets His Match' was an oversell. Then again, so was 'The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra.' She didn't entrance or mesmerize anyone. Just befuddled them, perhaps. And flattened them.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Also, fun recap of the career of Angelique Pettyjohn, whose life unfortunately was cut short way too soon by cancer. I think she would've made an interesting henchmoll.

She loved to tell the story of how when she interviewed for the Trek part, which is described in the script as an 'Amazon,' she informed the producers that at 5-foot-6, she was no Amazon. They laughed and said that standing next to Shatner, she would look like one. :P

I would post a screengrab of her costume on the show, but this is a family site. Suffice it to say the material was similar, and perhaps the same, as Joan Collins' costume on our favorite show, and the color was the same. The only difference was that Angelique's costume provided even less coverage. :shock: