Catwoman/Penguin romance in the movie

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Catwoman/Penguin romance in the movie

Post by dell »

So was the Catwoman/Penguin romance made for the movie? I never got into comic books, so if it came from there I wouldn't know.

Also, Lee did OK with the romance story line; far better than Julie would have handled it in my opinion. I can't even imagine Julie cooing to the Penguin like Lee did in a few scenes.
dell
Commodore Schmidlapp

Re: Catwoman/Penguin romance in the movie

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I don't recall any romantic interludes between Catwoman and Penguin, but it's been a while since I've watched the movie.

Each Catwoman actress had unique traits. Julie Newmar's Catwoman was attracted to Batman, but her attraction seemingly always played second fiddle to her criminal pursuits. She did actually pull the trigger on her weapon when she was acting lovey dovey toward Batman, and she usually didn't get too romantic until she was being carted off to jail. She had no trust whatsoever in Sandman so I couldn't see her being different with Penguin.

Lee Meriwether's Catwoman wasn't quite as seductive as Newmar's but also not quite as evil (my opinion of course).

One of those old Battle of the Network Stars recently appeared on my sidebar and Meriwether beat Farrah Fawcett in the golf challenge (Howard Cosell said she was on Barnaby Jones).
High C

Post by High C »

I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at on this one in terms of the original post.

I mean, CW gladly takes orders from Pengy when scooping up the dehydrated henchmen, but I'm not noticing much else in terms of romance.

Is this schtick that's going over my head?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

When she was lying on the table after they dehydrated the diplomats she says something like, "Oooh, Pengy-poo..." And she says it in such a way that implies there is something going on. I'll go watch the scene and get back with the exact quote and timestamp.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:25 am When she was lying on the table after they dehydrated the diplomats she says something like, "Oooh, Pengy-poo..." And she says it in such a way that implies there is something going on. I'll go watch the scene and get back with the exact quote and timestamp.
I apologize for implying you were doing schtick, but it's a weird scene. She says, 'it's like a dream, Pengy sweet, nothing can stop us now.' She touches him and he kind of recoils.

True, it's hard picturing Julie doing the scene.

There are about 22 minutes left in the movie.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

I realized after I submitted my reply that it wasn't Pengy-poo. Pengy-Sweet ain't much better.
dell
dell

Post by dell »

No apology needed; it is a weird scene which is why I mentioned it. It's weird enough seeing Lee doing it; it would have been bizarre to see Julie do it. Thanks for finding it; I was busy this afternoon and didn't get a chance to look for it.
dell
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

You mean where she kind of strokes Pengy on his chest and calls him Pengy sweet? I always took that as Catwoman just being playful. She was feeling good because they had pulled off the dehydration caper and were making their billion dollar ransom demands. If there was any romantic intention it wasn't reciprocated because Penguin seemed disturbed by her touching him lol.