Episode Production Order

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr. Glee

Re: Episode Production Order

Post by Mr. Glee »

Looking at my notes on the Season 2 shooting schedule, there appears to be a week-long gap between the Ma Parker and Egghead shows (Fri. Aug 19 through Thu. Aug. 25). Does anybody know what, if anything, they were shooting on those dates?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Mr. Glee wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm Looking at my notes on the Season 2 shooting schedule, there appears to be a week-long gap between the Ma Parker and Egghead shows (Fri. Aug 19 through Thu. Aug. 25). Does anybody know what, if anything, they were shooting on those dates?
Although it was budgeted as a six day shoot, Tues 23rd August was technically the eighth day of Ma Parker and appears to be pickups with the principal cast.
Scan 688.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 22.34.01.png
What starts to confuse matters a little is that Ma Parker (8707) was shot later out of sequence. Chronologically speaking, Sandman (9715) would have been shot in that "missing" week.
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am Just a guess, but they could film the window scenes anytime, and edited into almost any script. They are usually stand alone and do not effect the plot. Santa at Xmas time, for example, could have been anyone but since Puzzler aired in Dec why not put in St. nick? Ho, ho, ho Batman !
Isn’t that thought to be where Sonny & Cher’s cameo was cut?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

JWLJN wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 pm
Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am Just a guess, but they could film the window scenes anytime, and edited into almost any script. They are usually stand alone and do not effect the plot. Santa at Xmas time, for example, could have been anyone but since Puzzler aired in Dec why not put in St. nick? Ho, ho, ho Batman !
Isn’t that thought to be where Sonny & Cher’s cameo was cut?
Correct, the "Cast List" document for "The Puzzles Are Coming" states Sonny and Cher and Werner Kempler. Page one of the document is dated October 21st, 1966.
Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 12.13.57.png
Interestingly, the "Cast Requirements" document for the same episode does not list any of the cameos - but the last minute nature of a lot of the cameo bookings makes sense given that document was dated one week prior, October 14th, 1966.
Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 12.19.26.png
(As always, click on the above images to enlarge)
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 pmAlthough it was budgeted as a six day shoot, Tues 23rd August was technically the eighth day of Ma Parker and appears to be pickups with the principal cast.
Interesting - thanks for the info.

I wish we knew more about how close the Robert Morley version of "Sandman" came to shooting, and when exactly he pulled out. Since the producers had a contractual obligation to use Julie Newmar around the time of the planned shooting, I wonder if her cameo in the Ma Parker episode happened as a result of that; a sort of "good faith" gesture by the producers to work her into an episode as best they could under the circumstances.
Avenger90

Post by Avenger90 »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 am
Ricky wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:11 pm Really enjoyed listening to this and looking through those call sheets!
I could be wrong but I'm guessing Ben could confirm as from the UK - which is when Batman was broadcasted in the early/mid 00's (I think it was) on the cable channel FX (now Fox) they aired the second season in some random order in which I believe was the production order? And they weirdly included Fine Finny Fiends at the start of the run. Im assuming this was production order or it may have been some other random oddity?
So, coincidentally "FX289" as it was called initially (before just becoming "FX") launched in the UK on... January 12th, 2004.

I taped the entire initial run of Seasons one and two from FX in 2004 into 2005 and on that go-around the episodes were seemingly in order. They re-ran S1 and S2 multiple times within that time period. My recollection after that first run that I managed to tape gets a little hazy as I know by July 2005 I had my first set of DVD bootlegs and subsequently wasn't paying attention to FX's scheduling by that point, but I don't believe FX in the UK aired the Third Season, or if they did it was well after I was paying attention to their listings.

They did air the Third Season on FX UK, but it wasn't for a while. They seemed to show the first season 3 times over as i remember (and you're right Ricky they seemed to group Fine Finny Fiends with the season 2 showing. I forgot all about that until you said it) ,then on the third showing of the first season, went straight into season 2 and then season 3, rather than go straight back to ep 1.

I remember Granada Plus showed the first season in production order in the early 2000s.

TCC ran the first and second seasons in production order in the mid-late 90s (this was actually my first exposure to seasons 1 & 2, so i was use to the production order initially rather than airdate order). Although when TCC got to season 3, i remember they ran it in a very random order. I assumed it was the production order, but it wasn't. They seemed to show all the single episodes, out of order, then showed all the continued adventures (such as the Londinium eps, Joker/Catwoman etc) at the end of the run, before going back to Hi Diddle Riddle.

Not sure what the order was when Channel 4 did their run in 1993-1995 - i know season 3 was in airdate order (i was 5 when i seen those and my very first exposure to the batman tv series), but not sure how they ran the first and second seasons.....

I'm watching the third season in production order now for the first time, and it's so strange, especially with showing the next villain at the end of the episodes.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Once again I'm late to the party!
Great video on a fun subject.
Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I wonder if something in the news, like the Lunar Orbiter 1 which took the first photograph of Earth while orbiting the moon on August 23, 1966, had anything to do with the delay?