TO THE BATPOLES #159: The Joker Laughs on Two-Face's Behalf

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #159: The Joker Laughs on Two-Face's Behalf

Post by bat-rss »

For whatever reason, Batman’s producers decided that they would not do Peter Rabe’s Two-Face script (see last episode) as it was written. Instead, Lorenzo Semple Jr. adapted it into The Joker’s Last Laugh, keeping just enough of the story that Rabe got a “story” credit. This time we look at Semple’s first draft of that episode, which retains some aspects of Rabe that didn’t make it to the broadcast version, and a few other things that we kind of wish had made the final.

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #159: The Joker Laughs on Two-Face's Behalf

Post by High C »

Terrific show. As always, I love the script shows. Wow, I was so fixated on the Miranda name at the beginning I didn't notice the 'Officer Hoffman' dig. Great catch. I agree with you guys. That was NOT by accident from a guy as clever as Semple. Definitely some passive-aggressive stuff directed at his successor as script editor.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Ideas of things to rank/discuss:

--Best one-shot villains (and yes, IMO, Siren should count, because she was an independent contractor and/or secret weapon in the Riddler ep)

--Best made for TV villains (if you don't rate her in the previous category, you can put her in this one!) Bookworm would be favourite other than Siren.

--Which one-shot characters who were NOT part of the villain's gang should have recurred? Sleazy attorney Mr. Slye, Professor Overbeck, reporter Nellie Majors (my No. 1 choice) and any others you can think of...
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am Ideas of things to rank/discuss:

--Best one-shot villains (and yes, IMO, Siren should count, because she was an independent contractor and/or secret weapon in the Riddler ep)

--Best made for TV villains (if you don't rate her in the previous category, you can put her in this one!) Bookworm would be favourite other than Siren.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why stop there?

--Best music-related villainess

--Best use of a toga

--Best performance by Joan Collins (What? Too 'on the nose?' :x )

In the spirit of the Podcast, may I request your top list of civic-responsibility Batman moments?

Perhaps a list of favorite intentional camp-ing trips? Juxtaposed with a list of unintentional "true" camp moments, of course.

Or something more meta - a list of treasured examples of times when the '66 Batman Message Board (ah-ah, ah-ah) proved its All Seeing, All Knowing-ness?
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 am
High C wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am Ideas of things to rank/discuss:

Why stop there?

--Best music-related villainess

--Best use of a toga

--Best performance by Joan Collins (What? Too 'on the nose?' :x )
And these categories are humorous because...

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:31 pm And these categories are humorous because...
Humorous categories? No, no. I'm trying to list categories for the Siren to win, not the Joker... 😬
- Boy Genius