References to sponsors in Black Widow arc?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

References to sponsors in Black Widow arc?

Post by bat-rss »

https://www.liveabout.com/the-worst-vil ... ies-327098

This article claims, "One interesting aspect of this episode (Black Widow) was that there were hidden references inside the episode towards all of the companies who advertised on Batman at the time."

Unfortunately, the link from those words to the CBR site doesn't yield any proof. The article appears to have been taken down.

Does anyone have any more details on this? I'd love to know which particular lines/sponsors.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: References to sponsors in Black Widow arc?

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm https://www.liveabout.com/the-worst-vil ... ies-327098

This article claims, "One interesting aspect of this episode (Black Widow) was that there were hidden references inside the episode towards all of the companies who advertised on Batman at the time."

Unfortunately, the link from those words to the CBR site doesn't yield any proof. The article appears to have been taken down.

Does anyone have any more details on this? I'd love to know which particular lines/sponsors.
I don't know, but all I'll say is this--the fact the story claims there is 'mind control' in the Liberace arc, which is one of the season 2 arcs which does NOT have any (Batman makes an incorrect assumption that the henchmolls have been mind-controlled), it kinda casts doubt on the validity of anything they say.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Well, for sure there's a lot of uninformed bat-commentary out there...
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:53 pm Well, for sure there's a lot of uninformed bat-commentary out there...
I'll go through part 1 when I get a chance and see what's there. Certainly banks might be getting free plugs! :lol:
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I found this comment in a Polish-language review of the Black Widow episodes. I'm guessing the post began in English and was translated, so this is from Google's reverse-translation:

This is quite an unusual episode as it contains a parody of ubiquitous TV commercials. In the first scene, the bank's owner assures Black Widow that opening a new account is: "An excellent way to start your day" (Kellogg), later robs the Beneficial Savings and Loan branch (another sponsor). Commissioner Gordon assures the bank owner that "You can be sure if it's Batman" (Westinghouse). Black Widow's hideout is located at 411 Lava Drive (Lava Soap), and in the final scene of this two-part story, Black Widow admits that "Only Batman knows for sure!" (Clairol).
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Jim Akin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:53 am I found this comment in a Polish-language review of the Black Widow episodes. I'm guessing the post began in English and was translated, so this is from Google's reverse-translation:

This is quite an unusual episode as it contains a parody of ubiquitous TV commercials. In the first scene, the bank's owner assures Black Widow that opening a new account is: "An excellent way to start your day" (Kellogg), later robs the Beneficial Savings and Loan branch (another sponsor). Commissioner Gordon assures the bank owner that "You can be sure if it's Batman" (Westinghouse). Black Widow's hideout is located at 411 Lava Drive (Lava Soap), and in the final scene of this two-part story, Black Widow admits that "Only Batman knows for sure!" (Clairol).
Well done, chum!
shaking hands.gif
shaking hands.gif (371.87 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
High C

Post by High C »

I stand corrected, Jim. Great stuff!

Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

One minor quibble: according to the "Black Widow" script, it's "Larva Drive" rather than "Lava Drive."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:53 am I found this comment in a Polish-language review of the Black Widow episodes. I'm guessing the post began in English and was translated, so this is from Google's reverse-translation:

Great calls, Jim!
High C

Post by High C »

This is quite an unusual episode as it contains a parody of ubiquitous TV commercials. In the first scene, the bank's owner assures Black Widow that opening a new account is: "An excellent way to start your day" (Kellogg's),
Interesting, considering the oft-quoted line of the 1960s being the time of the three Bs--The Beatles, Batman and Bond, it was later in 1967 when The Fab Four referenced Kellogg's with the song 'Good Morning Good Morning.' 'Good morning' used to be a come-on in a Kellogg's TV ad and it was said to have inspired songwriter John Lennon in that instance. The song was recorded in February and March and released in May.

So Batman beat The Beatles to the punch on this one, basically, by a couple months.