TO THE BATPOLES #160: Bat-rankings

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

robinboyblunderer

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #160: Bat-rankings

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:13 am then comment and tell us YOUR rankings!
Londinium Trilogy----a mix of nostalgia of where I was when I first saw them plus the following qualities: the exotic environment, a lot of outdoor shots, and refreshing change of pace with the villainess's (sp?) taking an interest in Robin. Bonus points for the skeleton in the Londinium Batcave, Alfred busting open the gates and the Indian Rope Trick, and Adam's first season level of deadpan acting when discussing it. Sure, the African Death-Bee with its wire and googly eyes is the exact opposite of menacing but Burt and Lynne Peters sell the scene, a real sense of menace from her.

Purrfect Crime----the ultimate Catwoman episode? Her lair is fantastic, full of menace and unease and feels huge! The way she plays with her foes is fun and I also enjoy her disgust at the thought of dating the Joker.

And while I enjoy lovey-dovey Catwoman there's something about seeing her gleefully and completely evil that makes this a lot of fun. Plus you get two death traps, both with fun escape/resuce and a long batfight and Catwoman's seeming fall to her doom.

Death in Slow Motion---A fun episode, perfectly mixing Riddler's menace with surreal hijinks and costume changes. Too bad Pauline gets taken out at the beginning of part two. Another classic death trap, Sherry Jackson as "Bo-Peep", the wonderfully ridiculous batarang in teeth moment and a clever and convoluted plot. Plus there's something neat about seeing scenes from the show as a black-and-white ole timey movie serial.

Bookworm----Sense of menace, Lydia Limpet, scary opening with "Gordon" getting shot, a novel schtick for the villain. "English history." One of the best trap resolutions with Batman and O'Hara, perhaps the only time the two share the screen like that. Classic Adam West acting, focusing his mind on what was said! And of course, a giant cook book and the GCPD cheering when they blow it open! Sure, a bit late but good to see some level of competence from them. Henchmen's costumes perfectly fit the villian and the taking off glasses is just witty enough without becoming stupid.

Tut's Coup----Batman and his "fakir" speech. Tut's hamming it up a la Shakespeare quote (I think) as the sarcophogus lowers. The slave girls. Alfred and his "holy" moment & slamming his fist. Neila's change of heart---sorta. An exciting one-of-a-kind countdown with Robin about to be boiled in oil, perhaps the only episode where there's that kind of tight editing, from Tut, to Robin, to slave girls, over and over, faster and faster.

And the perfect epilogue with "milk and cookies!" Awesome. Very good for Bruce, clever, witty and right over childen's heads while making adults chuckle.

Hizzoner the Penguin----I really enjoy all the political satire. My favorite of Penguin going straight plots. When he realizes he can use all his dirty tricks in politics is a fine moment. Adam's delivery during his speech, the way he leans in and pauses while reading from his card while O'Hara dozes his amazingly funny.

These episodes dance right along the edge of the "stupid Batman" I detest without going over. A great Bat-Trap, what a design. Too bad they didn't have a better resolution than the acid-proof costume, though watching Batman dive into it was amazing.

Sandman Cometh----I like the mash-up of Sandman and Catwoman. He exudes this strange haughty menace since he's from out of the country and holds the Caped Crusaders in Contempt.

Spaghetti terrifying Sandman with her gallery of dead husbands. Very good!

Perhaps the best Batman escape ever, utilizing the trap and what was at hand, no Acid-proof costumes, or Alfred Ex Machina, just his own ingenuity.

Of course, Catwoman and her all female gang, Robin as their captive being put into the maze, along with the second of three times Robin is temporarily hypnotizied against Batman. Gordon and his team actually arresting someone on their own. The Alfcycle scene..! I've gone back and rewatched Adam ducking his head, this perfect body humor he mastered as Batman, and the way the music is queued up with that quick shot.

A lot is jammed in this one and it all pretty much works for me.

True of False Face----see my earlier post above

EDITED to add:

Mummy's Uncle---King Tut finally discovers Batman's identity! I remember the shock of seeing that the very first time as a child, how were they going to get out of this?!? I had no clue there'd be Bat-Amnesia gas used but it made pefect sense.

We get a great "old-fashioned" Batfight with original fight music instead of Season 3 in the Batcave. And of course, the ending chase through the mine shaft, Tut getting bonked and Batman getting philosophical with Robin after Pr. Mackelroy is led away. One of the best Tut episodes.

That's enough for now. Holy Overkill! Too much.

cheers
High C

Post by High C »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 pm
bat-rss wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:13 am then comment and tell us YOUR rankings!
Londinium Trilogy----a mix of nostalgia of where I was when I first saw them plus the following qualities: the exotic environment, a lot of outdoor shots, and refreshing change of pace with the villainess's (sp?) taking an interest in Robin. Bonus points for the skeleton in the Londinium Batcave, Alfred busting open the gates and the Indian Rope Trick, and Adam's first season level of deadpan acting when discussing it. Sure, the African Death-Bee with its wire and googly eyes is the exact opposite of menacing but Burt and Lynne Peters sell the scene, a real sense of menace from her.

Purrfect Crime----the ultimate Catwoman episode? Her lair is fantastic, full of menace and unease and feels huge! The way she plays with her foes is fun and I also enjoy her disgust at the thought of dating the Joker.

And while I enjoy lovey-dovey Catwoman there's something about seeing her gleefully and completely evil that makes this a lot of fun. Plus you get two death traps, both with fun escape/resuce and a long batfight and Catwoman's seeming fall to her doom.

Death in Slow Motion---A fun episode, perfectly mixing Riddler's menace with surreal hijinks and costume changes. Too bad Pauline gets taken out at the beginning of part two. Another classic death trap, Sherry Jackson as "Bo-Peep", the wonderfully ridiculous batarang in teeth moment and a clever and convoluted plot. Plus there's something neat about seeing scenes from the show as a black-and-white ole timey movie serial.

Bookworm----Sense of menace, Lydia Limpet, scary opening with "Gordon" getting shot, a novel schtick for the villain. "English history." One of the best trap resolutions with Batman and O'Hara, perhaps the only time the two share the screen like that. Classic Adam West acting, focusing his mind on what was said! And of course, a giant cook book and the GCPD cheering when they blow it open! Sure, a bit late but good to see some level of competence from them. Henchmen's costumes perfectly fit the villian and the taking off glasses is just witty enough without becoming stupid.

Tut's Coup----Batman and his "fakir" speech. Tut's hamming it up a la Shakespeare quote (I think) as the sarcophogus lowers. The slave girls. Alfred and his "holy" moment & slamming his fist. Neila's change of heart---sorta. An exciting one-of-a-kind countdown with Robin about to be boiled in oil, perhaps the only episode where there's that kind of tight editing, from Tut, to Robin, to slave girls, over and over, faster and faster.

And the perfect epilogue with "milk and cookies!" Awesome. Very good for Bruce, clever, witty and right over childen's heads while making adults chuckle.

Hizzoner the Penguin----I really enjoy all the political satire. My favorite of Penguin going straight plots. When he realizes he can use all his dirty tricks in politics is a fine moment. Adam's delivery during his speech, the way he leans in and pauses while reading from his card while O'Hara dozes his amazingly funny.

These episodes dance right along the edge of the "stupid Batman" I detest without going over. A great Bat-Trap, what a design. Too bad they didn't have a better resolution than the acid-proof costume, though watching Batman dive into it was amazing.
I agree with all of these choices except the first and last, plus the Tut season 3 'Nilanium' one that you mentioned. For me, the Londinium three-parter (forgive the nitpick from a professional writer, but a trilogy denotes three related stories) fits into the other category of a story that was a disappointment. IMO, a lot of potential is squandered in a slow-moving story, although I do agree Lyn Peters is the best thing about it.

Like so much of season 3, Charles Hoffman seems unaware he is writing for a visual medium. So much important stuff and so many plot points are talked about, but never seen, even things that were within bounds of the budget. The motivations of the already-rich villains are vague at best, the gadgets on both sides of the aisle are ridiculous and the Lady Prudence 'double-cross' alluded to at the end is barely evident in the rest of the script.

I actually agree with you on the quality of Hizzoner the Penguin--my problems are it makes Batman look bad a lot, the political satire (while spot-on) could fit on ANY show and isn't specific to Batman and I feel this kind of helped launch Batman toward its sitcom tilt.

As for other stories that disappointed, Tim (Joker's Provokers) and Paul (Sandman) chose wisely. I would add Egghead's debut. The criminal genius is a great idea, but it's wasted in a dumb plot. Also, Catwoman Goes To College. The idea is intriguing. Julie running wild on a college campus in full Catwoman regalia. Instead we get middle-aged henchmen, NO sorority sisters (even though they are ostensibly in a sorority house so Stanley Ralph Ross can use one of his darlings) and part 2 completely drops the college angle anyway. (A recurring theme in the disappointing stories is a plot direction being set up and then abruptly dropped.)

Just imagine a scene with the Dean of Students, the University Provost and President ready to expel Catwoman because she is setting a bad example with her provocative costume and Julie using her, ahem, feminine wiles to convince them otherwise. Instead we get Alfred in Batman drag again and Bruce Wayne nonchalantly reading the newspaper while HIS batman is in the slammer, not to mention the asinine Captain Courageous plot point. Ho-hum.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
robinboyblunderer

High C wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 am The motivations of the already-rich villains are vague at best, the gadgets on both sides of the aisle are ridiculous and the Lady Prudence 'double-cross' alluded to at the end is barely evident in the rest of the script.

I actually agree with you on the quality of Hizzoner the Penguin--my problems are it makes Batman look bad a lot, the political satire (while spot-on) could fit on ANY show and isn't specific to Batman and I feel this kind of helped launch Batman toward its sitcom tilt.

Julie running wild on a college campus in full Catwoman regalia. Instead we get middle-aged henchmen, NO sorority sisters (even though they are ostensibly in a sorority house so Stanley Ralph Ross can use one of his darlings) and part 2 completely drops the college angle anyway. (A recurring theme in the disappointing stories is a plot direction being set up and then abruptly dropped.)

Instead we get Alfred in Batman drag again and Bruce Wayne nonchalantly reading the newspaper while HIS batman is in the slammer, not to mention the asinine Captain Courageous plot point. Ho-hum.
For me, Ffogg and his gang exhude a unique arrogance only equaled by Sandman, in that they hold the Dynamic Duo in complete contempt, not just Marmaduke, but Penelope, Prudence and all the way down to the henchmen. They don't live in Gotham City and think themselves better than Batman. (The Finishing School Girls don't share this contempt because of their focus on Robin). There's a sneer in their voice. Larcenies could be one of the few times the henchmen verbally deride the duo before a fight, usually they're just ordered into action by the main villain. Overall it adds a welcome sense of menace.

While I don't share it (for Hizzoner) I understand your "sitcom tilt" point. I just realized one of my favorite Tut episodes has this moment with Fouad (sp?) Sphinx; Batman leaving him tied up the whole time is, I admit, funny, but it's a complete Sitcom Tilt (tm High C). Is it really worth the momentary chuckle to have Batman be this oblivious to a citizen's suffering? I don't think so.

That is a good suggestion regarding Catwoman and an evil sorority or at least, one evil sorority moll. And while I enjoy Alfred having a bigger role, the whole Batman in jail seems like filler. And Capt. Courageous is perhaps the weakest of the side characters in any episode. And annoying too!

Is Batman really that square he'd let himself be locked up? It just feels one step too far, sure ticket the Batmobile, go along with the court in the pilot episode but let some ridiculous oaf arrest him? Awful. 1st Season Batman would've eluded this whole thing, he wasn't afraid of acting "insane" in that Pengun ep. Or how about earlier in Season 2 when Batman pretended to be part of Catwoman's gang?

The whole thing is moot but it is a terrible moment.

However, one thing I do like is the coffee pot escape...it's almost as good as the Sandman mattress one, where an element of the trap is used to escape. Of course, that's after the whole Catwoman's tears thing which itself is awful. What a mixed bag of an episode.

It's more Sitcom Tilt (tm High C) but I do like Freddie the Fence, and him straining spaghetti in his mask. Actually, once again we get a villain who is foreign and this time doesn't seem that impressed by Catwoman, interesting to see her confounded by him for a bit.

cheers
High C

Post by High C »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 pm
Why not just go on TV or radio and broadcast her note? It's frightening that level of power. However, Siren is both difficult to stop and ridiculously easy; a pair of Bat-Ear Plugs or Policewoman Mooney on the job and she's finished. The bigger issue is undoing her control over other men.

Maybe having her power only work in person could've made her less over-powered yet still be deadly.

Heck, maybe having Robin convince Siren to destroy her own ability was the way to go, otherwise there'd be even more contrivances to beat her in future episodes. And there is the novelty of a villain being "eliminated" as it were. Not too many of those...Zelda and I guess Tut if you bonk him in the head.

Again, I feel like I'm overthinking something that presumably was a fun script for SRR to write and maybe the show just isn't meant for this kind of discussion, interesting as it is.
FWIW, in terms of undoing her control, the original draft had a line that Siren's spell wore off in 12 hours. Hence, that's why Alfred said the dose of Bat-sleep on the Commish was approximately 12 hours' worth.

I also think the tag scene left the door slightly ajar for Siren to come back with Batman's line about her being a model prisoner 'if she doesn't open her mouth...'

You are not overthinking it at all. The problem was that the show really was not equipped to write for a metahuman villain(ess). Just look at all the plot gymnastics they did to make her plan more difficult. Siren twice has an easy opportunity to put The Duo under her spell, and passes on it both times.

And this obviously has nothing to do with the podcast, but I tried to answer some of your questions in my fan fiction long ago. I had some stories in which she tried to broadcast to a mass audience (as she did in the original treatment by Stanley Ralph Ross) and I also once had her arrested and subject to a pre-trial hearing in which the DA (Harvey Dent, natch) argued before a judge that The Siren's vocal cords should be severed, so she thus would be neutralized forever 'for the greater good of the community.' The judge ruled against him, saying it would be barbaric and a return to an 'eye for an eye.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
robinboyblunderer

High C wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:40 am FWIW, in terms of undoing her control, the original draft had a line that Siren's spell wore off in 12 hours. Hence, that's why Alfred said the dose of Bat-sleep on the Commish was approximately 12 hours' worth.
Ah, okay. That's a good built-in limitation for the character even if it didn't make it to the final script.

cheers