Anatomy of a Bat-shoot, Ring Around The Riddler

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Anatomy of a Bat-shoot, Ring Around The Riddler

Post by High C »

This is something I've been meaning to do for quite some time. I don't have all the paperwork, but I have almost all of it, thus I will do my best to give you an idea of what took place on a typical season 3 Bat-shoot.

Specifically, Ring Around The Riddler and The Wail Of The Siren. You can follow along with the shooting script, courtesy knowitalljoe.com and the attached call sheet.

http://www.knowitalljoe.com/wp-content/ ... Script.pdf

I first must explain that what the script calls a scene (denoted as Sc on the call sheet, and by the number on the left in the script) is not necessarily what we would think of as a scene. Basically, it's a camera cut, or shot. It's there as a guide for the directors, producers, cinematographers and ultimately, editors, I would assume.

And this obviously is a basic point, but keep in mind that to save time, it makes sense to shoot all the scenes for a specific location or set at one time. For instance, on Surf's Up, all the beach scenes were shot on the first day, no matter where they fell in the script.

OK, let's get started. Ring Around the Riddler began on Aug. 1, 1967, the day after the Olga and Egghead saga wrapped. Frank Gorshin was scheduled to report to makeup at 7:45 a.m. for an 8:30 call, per the attached call sheet, and Adam and Burt were skedded at 7:30 for an 8 a.m. set call. Yvonne was skedded to arrive at 6:30 for makeup for an 8 a.m. set call.

(For purposes of brevity, from here on, I'll assume everyone arrived on time.)

Anyway, the original schedule for the first day of shooting said they would start at Stage 2 at Culver, leading off with scenes 57, 59 and 62 of Betsy at the microphone, but that was altered on the call sheet to lead off with 64, 65, 78 and 86, all shots of Barbara, Gordon, O'Hara and Aunt Harriet in the crowd at the fight. Shot 86 apparently was edited out. Aunt Harriet sees everyone exit the ring after Riddler's magnet scheme is exposed and exclaims, 'Merciful stars! I didn't see anything like this in the New Hebrides!'

It's unfortunate, in my opinion, this was cut. This is the stuff we miss in the rushed third season.

Next came scene 60. This is the shot of Batman going through the aisle into the ring. Then came scenes 58, 67, 71 and 84. These shots are of all the action of Riddler (as Mushy) and his 'stooges,' as the scripts refer to henchmen, in their corner. Then came scenes 63, 66, 68 and 85. Likewise, these are of Batman, Robin and Alfred (Gus), in their corner.

After that, we move to 69, 70, 72, 75, 79, 81 and 83, all the shots of the so-called fight between Batman and Riddler (Mushy).

Now they go back and shoot the aforementioned scenes 57, 59 and 62, Betsy at the mike with the extra, with Betsy excusing herself so she can help the Riddler execute his plan. Why was this pushed back? My best guess is they wanted to film Madge Blake's scenes as quickly as possible so as not to tax her too much and thus have her stuff finished quickly. Remember, this was one of only two appearances she made in season 3.

Then they shot what are called inserts (close-ups that can be shot independent of the rest of the action), scenes 73 and 74, the so-called metal filings (which were really sawdust, according to the shooting schedule), which were supposed to be anchoring Batman's feet to the floor. That is, until Batgirl took the giant magnet away from Betsy, who was stationed underneath the boxing ring. (To be continued in next post)
Attachments
RingFirstDay.jpg
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Re: Anatomy of a Bat-shoot, Ring Around The Riddler

Post by High C »

(continued from previous post)
http://www.knowitalljoe.com/wp-content/ ... Script.pdf

The company, as a TV or movie production is called, then moved to Stage 15 at Culver. The shooting schedule showed they originally were to begin with scenes 76 and 82 described as 'Betsy with magnet' and 'Batgirl stops her.' Those were not filmed that day, for some reason.

Instead, they moved on to 18 and 21, The Duo arriving on the terrace of Barbara's apartment, and then 19, 20, 22 and 24, the three chatting in Barbara's living room.

At this point, it gets slightly murky as they wrap up the day. The next scenes listed are 51 and 50. Scene 50 is Batgirl returning on her cycle to her changing room after escaping from Riddler's lair, and 50, the next one in the script, in which, after changing back to Barbara, she starts to call Alfred (which really makes no sense UNLESS she knows Bruce is Batman) and then thinks better of it. Whatever the case, neither of these shots made the final airing.

The call sheet doesn't list scenes 25 and 26, in which Barbara begins her change to Batgirl. However, they are on the shooting schedule and I suspect they were shot because they are NOT on the shooting schedule or the call sheets for Wail of the Siren. And, you will note, the shot of Yvonne walking across the bedroom is exactly the same in both eps. That is why she wore the same dress in both episodes. Also not listed on the call sheet, but listed on the shooting schedule and definitely in the finished product, is scene 80, Barbara going into the ladies' lounge to reappear as Batgirl.

It is difficult to read because it obviously is a multi-generational copy, but it appears as if, according to the 'pay hours report,' the company was dismissed at 17:40 or 5:40 p.m., and the crew sometime after 6 p.m. Total pay hours were listed at 11.5. It was a good day in terms of being on time and on budget.

Let's just say this--the second day would not go as smoothly. More on that next.
Attachments
RingFirstDay.jpg
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Very interesting - thanks for your detective work, Citizen!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
High C

Post by High C »

Batfanman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:41 pm Very interesting - thanks for your detective work, Citizen!
Thank you! I'll be going on to each day of the shoots. It was just too much to put everything into one post. Holy overload!

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I've been looking forward to this after you mentioned a little while back that you were working on this post. Nicely researched and presented! I'm a sucker for this stuff.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Well done. Looking forward to reading more.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

This is great stuff High C, thanks for sharing it. So, Madge was in the 3rd season more than we originally thought? Just on the Cutting room floor.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This is really fun. Thanks so much for the detailed analysis.

As to Madge Blake ending up on the cutting room floor, I wonder when the decision was made to drop Aunt Harriet from the featured cast and make her a guest star. If it was really because of health concerns (which certainly seem legit, given how soon after season 3 we lost her), then the decision might have come after scripts had been prepared featuring her as a regular.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 am As to Madge Blake ending up on the cutting room floor, I wonder when the decision was made to drop Aunt Harriet from the featured cast and make her a guest star. If it was really because of health concerns (which certainly seem legit, given how soon after season 3 we lost her), then the decision might have come after scripts had been prepared featuring her as a regular.
That's my understanding, Jim.
High C

Post by High C »

Thanks for the kind words. Day 2 is taking longer than expected but I am working on it.

I don't have paperwork addressing it, but here are the issues I see with Madge and season 3. Keep in mind Ring was the seventh episode shot for season 3, production number 1707. I should have mentioned that already and intend to in the next installment.

The fact is, with Yvonne on board, they really couldn't afford Madge as a regular anymore. Moreover, and I think this is an even bigger problem, stately Wayne Manor's living room had been repurposed into the library, as we all know. Thus, that made it even more difficult to give Madge Blake a recurring role. Where exactly would Aunt Harriet interact with Bruce and Dick? Not in the study, obviously. And there wasn't much time for those scenes, given the time constraints. Maybe a tag scene before the next episode's villain is revealed, but certainly not in the teasers.

High C

Post by High C »

I hope to have Day 2 up in a few days. I know it's been a while and I apologize. I don't have A/C and it is a bit difficult getting regular work done, let alone 'fun' work. When I was young, I enjoyed the four seasons. At 56, if I could sign for say, 72 during the day and 54 at night 365 days a year, I would. 8-)