NY Daily News-August 15, 1967 (Visit to Bat Set)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

NY Daily News-August 15, 1967 (Visit to Bat Set)

Post by epaddon »

NY Daily News TV critic Kay Gardella visited the "Batman" set during the filming of "The Ogg Couple" (erroneously titled "Odd Couple" in the article) and wrote this feature where she interviewed both Anne Baxter and Neil Hamilton. Baxter describes how much she enjoyed the opportunity to go over the top and how she'd always wanted to do a Russian accent, which accounts for how over the top her whole Olga performance is.

Neil Hamilton reveals how the whole thing is all just a job to him and how he totally disdains the "Method" school of acting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y81dk3dbwoj1z ... _.jpg?dl=0
dell

Re: NY Daily News-August 15, 1967 (Visit to Bat Set)

Post by dell »

That was a quick and interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

Great find. It really shows you what Baxter's attitude was. It literally was a chance to play dress-up and have fun.

But, to be fair, I saw her in The Virginian (honest) in an episode that aired in the 1968-69 season and Baxter chewed the scenery in a similar fashion, IMO, even though the role didn't necessarily call for it. She was the social-climbing wife of a career-army officer with political aspirations and was trying to cover up a scandal that might hurt him, and thus, her. The funny thing, for those of us who frequent this board, was the title of the ep. It was named after her character, an old flame (what else?) of one of the regulars. The title *shudders instinctively* was "Nora."
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Big thanks for sharing this Epaddon!
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I'm not as up on all the intricacies of the show's history as others. I'm assuming that by the time this episode was being filmed, the cast knew it was coming to an end, hence Neil Hamilton's nonchalant attitude?

Then again I have read about other actors from that time who had similar attitudes. Raymond Bailey (Milburn Drysdale from Beverly Hillbillies) comes to mind.
High C

Post by High C »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 am I'm not as up on all the intricacies of the show's history as others. I'm assuming that by the time this episode was being filmed, the cast knew it was coming to an end, hence Neil Hamilton's nonchalant attitude?

Then again I have read about other actors from that time who had similar attitudes. Raymond Bailey (Milburn Drysdale from Beverly Hillbillies) comes to mind.
They might have feared the worst, but it wasn't a fait accompli just yet, no. It gets dicier a little later (around October), from what I understand, when they have to sweat out whether ABC will pick up the back half-order of the season. But this was filmed in late July, so the heat wasn't on (figuratively) just yet.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

High C wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 am
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 am I'm not as up on all the intricacies of the show's history as others. I'm assuming that by the time this episode was being filmed, the cast knew it was coming to an end, hence Neil Hamilton's nonchalant attitude?

They might have feared the worst, but it wasn't a fait accompli just yet, no. It gets dicier a little later (around October), from what I understand, when they have to sweat out whether ABC will pick up the back half-order of the season. But this was filmed in late July, so the heat wasn't on (figuratively) just yet.
Thanks, High C!