"Lost/Unaired" episode "Bane's The Name/Greetings Mr Wayne"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

"Lost/Unaired" episode "Bane's The Name/Greetings Mr Wayne"

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm almost baffled that this didn't cross our thresholds when it was originally published (unless my grey matter/search function) is failing me, but a pal of mine sent me an article from 2014 exploring the idea of a "lost" Bane arc.

Holy Hypotheticals!

https://gizmodo.com/an-inside-look-at-t ... 1716319939

Someone had a lot of fun re-creating the layout from Eisner's book, Beggorah!

Sadly their interpretation of what a script from the show looked like did not achieve such amusingly high standards of imitation. Although I will award some points for the legit cloning of Horwitz's stamp :lol:

But of all the episodes to "replace" within the canon... I wouldn't weep at the loss of "The Ogg Couple". For anyone playing along at home, I also give the author some kudos on the choice of "1706" as the production number, as it did not technically exist. All three episodes of the Olga/Eggy trifecta were shot back to back as prod #1705 which was chronologically followed by #1707, "Ring Around The Riddler".
Jim Akin

Re: "Lost/Unaired" episode "Bane's The Name/Greetings Mr Wayne"

Post by Jim Akin »

Thanks for sharing this.

I LOVE the idea of Welles penning a Batman script, and imagining him enduring the demands of a one-and-done TV director is painfully hilarious.

Envisioning Welles as Bane, on the other hand, is mostly just painful: Even if the character had been invented in 1967, it's hard to imagine Welles pulling off the portrayal. His most recent role as of 1967 had been Sir John Falstaff, and although he hadn't yet achieved the curmudgeonly corpulence of his early-1980s Paul Masson wine commercials (or the financial desperation that forced him to take that gig), playing a wrestler/strongman would have been quite a stretch.

I salute the creativity that went into this spoof, and the Batbook episode pages in particular, but I think the script might have been more successful (and fun to write) as a "Citizen Bane" riff on Welles's work, rather than a parody/critique of The Dark Knight Rises.
High C

Post by High C »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 am I salute the creativity that went into this spoof, and the Batbook episode pages in particular, but I think the script might have been more successful (and fun to write) as a "Citizen Bane" riff on Welles's work, rather than a parody/critique of The Dark Knight Rises.
Agreed.

That to me is the one area, besides, as Ben noted, the poor interpretation of a 1960s mimeograph, in which they dropped the ball. VERY nice try and a lot of creativity, as you say, Jim, but the episode as described in the synopsis was not at all in the style of a 1966-67 written show. Catwoman never 'went straight' for real on the show.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

:lol: so how many on this board (me also) grabbed their copy of Eisner's book off the shelf, right beside them,to see this...before they figured out this was a trick..a really great one by the way
Troy

Post by Troy »

This is awesome!!!