For those who have cowls (or those who don't)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

For those who have cowls (or those who don't)

Post by dell »

I have often thought that one of the more unrealistic aspects of the show was how Batman and Robin were in a fight almost every week, yet Bruce and Dick never appeared injured, bruised or impaired in any way. So my question is, what do you think would happen if someone punched you while wearing a cowl? I can't see the cowl protecting you. In fact, it would seem more likely to injure you than if you weren't wearing one.

Thoughts?
dell
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: For those who have cowls (or those who don't)

Post by Scott Sebring »

The fiberglass is pretty sturdy and with the moleskin lining it provides a little bit of cushion. It feels a "little" like a helmet. A solid punch to the face wouldn't hold up very well but along the sides, top and back, I think it would actually help. I know I can hit myself squarely on the top and barely notice. But that could be my thick skull.
Robin was rarely injured but Burt was... often.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Interesting question-- as someone who owns a few cowls (although I've only briefly put any of them on) and who used to both be an Amateur Boxer and played High School Football where I took a lot of hits to the head I think the fiberglass would crack if hit hard enough but Ben's right-- in the Chuck cowls there is a moleskin lining that gives it a little bit of padding. Your ears aren't protected for the sake of being able to hear but second only to being punched square in the nose a punch to the ear is very painful.

So the Adam West Batman Cowl would provide little protection in a fight. The rubber suit versions would fare a LITTLE better if they had the same padding but you lose the mobility in those so it probably evens out. I'd love to see a mixed martial arts fight with someone in the modern Batman costume, I think they wouldn't last 30 seconds.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Besides the sweat build up in the cowl I believe the cape would be the real liability.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Also, vision. I feel like it would be hard to see out of a fiberglass cowl in scuffle. You might be adjusting it the whole time.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I’m sure Batman installed a “Bat-Cowl Impact Detection Deflection Liner” for such circumstances. :)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

In the comics I thought the cowl was supposed to be some sort of helmet/ protection.
I saw a comic panel from the 70's I think where Batman snapped his ear off to retrieve something stored there!

Depending on the fit of the cowl I think it would be some protection.
FYI, I have stood on cowl shells I have made!
Even when placed on their sides. They flex but do not crack.

The foam latex movie cowls are pretty darn soft. I went to the Bat-Shop for Batman Returns and saw the costumes being made.
There were inserts in the ears to keep them from wiggling.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Bat Mitch

Post by Bat Mitch »

If Adam West's anecdote from his book "Back to the Batcave" (Chapter 21) is accurate, one of his cowls may have saved him from a serious injury during a publicity tour for the movie:

"At one theater, we learned that if we ever stopped we were in trouble: after making our way through a thick and uncooperative crowd, I paused inside the darkened theater to catch my breath. As I leaned against a column, a teenager hit me over the head with a piece of pipe. Luckily, my plastic cowl took the brunt of the blow and I was able to stagger back to the bus."
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I think the most immediate danger while wearing the cowl has to do with situations related to the poor vision, which doesn't just involve the periphery.

A prime example are THESE things, which become the true "bane" of your existence if you don't see it coming from a mile out, so to speak. When they are of just a certain height, they can be missed so you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings, especially at outdoor plaza/marketplace type situations.
Attachments
TF6010-2.jpg
TF6010-2.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Surprisingly, my vision has always been rather good in the cowl. I do have a little bit of foam padding to to push my head forward so I eyes are closer to the actual holes, so I can usually see those darn posts and drive a Batmobile that doesn't have rearview mirrors. It's scary but possible. I'm sure it depends on the fit.
High C

Post by High C »

Whenever this threat title pops up, I think of AC/DC:

For those about to cowl, we salute you! (plays air guitar furiously)

And, actually, after hearing Scott's terrific stories of being at conventions with Adam, I do salute you all!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17