Who bought TV rights, networks or studios?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Who bought TV rights, networks or studios?

Post by bat-rss »

This is tangentially Batman-related. I'm researching William Dozier's DICK TRACY pilot. Some sources say NBC bought the rights to the character, other sources say 20th Century Fox-Greenway bought the rights. I'm not sure which to believe. Anyone have good knowledge about how this kind of thing worked in the '60s?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: Who bought TV rights, networks or studios?

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 am This is tangentially Batman-related. I'm researching William Dozier's DICK TRACY pilot. Some sources say NBC bought the rights to the character, other sources say 20th Century Fox-Greenway bought the rights. I'm not sure which to believe. Anyone have good knowledge about how this kind of thing worked in the '60s?
Considering that Batman, the series ultimately came out on DVD because of a deal between Fox and Time/Warner AND a settlement with Dozier's heirs, in essence, Greenway, I would have to say Fox/Greenway. But I'm sure others on this board know more than I do. But that's my educated guess.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 amI'm researching William Dozier's DICK TRACY pilot. Some sources say NBC bought the rights to the character, other sources say 20th Century Fox-Greenway bought the rights. I'm not sure which to believe.
This item from the July 4 '66 issue of the trade publication Broadcasting somehow manages to say BOTH of those things...make of it what you will:
66-07-04-broadcasting.jpg
66-07-04-broadcasting.jpg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

It just occurred to me that Henry Saperstein, one of the parties involved in the NBC/Dozier "Dick Tracy" acquisition deal, also had a working relationship with Toho Studios of Japan...suggesting the possibility that Saperstein could have also served as an intermediary between Dozier and Toho with regards to Dozier's mooted "Batman Meets Godzilla" feature (if Dozier was actually in talks with Toho, which I don't think has ever been confirmed.)
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Mr. Glee wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:15 pm
bat-rss wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 amI'm researching William Dozier's DICK TRACY pilot. Some sources say NBC bought the rights to the character, other sources say 20th Century Fox-Greenway bought the rights. I'm not sure which to believe.
This item from the July 4 '66 issue of the trade publication Broadcasting somehow manages to say BOTH of those things...make of it what you will:
Ooh, thanks! I had seen this article cited, but couldn't figure out where to find it. Yeah, that's confusing alright! Dozier kind of says both in Eisner's Batbook as well.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Mr. Glee wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:47 pm It just occurred to me that Henry Saperstein, one of the parties involved in the NBC/Dozier "Dick Tracy" acquisition deal, also had a working relationship with Toho Studios of Japan...suggesting the possibility that Saperstein could have also served as an intermediary between Dozier and Toho with regards to Dozier's mooted "Batman Meets Godzilla" feature (if Dozier was actually in talks with Toho, which I don't think has ever been confirmed.)
Interesting. Well, there is an outline of the "Batman Meets Godzilla" movie in the U of Wyoming Dozier Archive, but of course that by itself doesn't prove that there were any talks with Toho. Perhaps Dozier and Saperstein talked about presenting an idea to Toho, so the outline was written up to show them, but maybe Toho had no interest.
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:41 am
Mr. Glee wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:15 pm
Ooh, thanks! I had seen this article cited, but couldn't figure out where to find it. Yeah, that's confusing alright! Dozier kind of says both in Eisner's Batbook as well.
I know this much--the two biggest villains in 1960s TV were Nielsen and Standards and Practices. ;)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 am This is tangentially Batman-related. I'm researching William Dozier's DICK TRACY pilot. Some sources say NBC bought the rights to the character, other sources say 20th Century Fox-Greenway bought the rights.
But who bought the lefts?

Holy Ba-dump-bump tish!
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

According to the Green Hornet Book by Martin Gram, Dozier acquired the rights to Dick Tracy as a possible mid-season replacement for the Green Hornet series which looked like it was going to be dropped by ABC after 17 episodes

When the Hornet series got extended to a full season Dick Tracy got put aside.
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

I think Gram must have been mistaken - it was NBC who bought the "Dick Tracy" rights ("The Green Hornet" was on ABC.)
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Ooh if this is for a future episode of your show, I’d love to contribute. I’ve been researching the Dick Tracy pilot myself as part of my work ongoing research for the 1990 Warren Beatty Dick Tracy film.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Kamdan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:41 pm Ooh if this is for a future episode of your show, I’d love to contribute. I’ve been researching the Dick Tracy pilot myself as part of my work ongoing research for the 1990 Warren Beatty Dick Tracy film.
Actually we just recorded it! Sorry...