Obituary for Lee Harman, Bat-makeup artist

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr. Glee

Obituary for Lee Harman, Bat-makeup artist

Post by Mr. Glee »

I thought folks here would find this article/obit of interest - be sure to check out photos #4 and 5 in the scrolling image gallery:

https://democratherald.com/news/local/l ... 0ed1b.html
BatMite

Re: Obituary for Lee Harman, Bat-makeup artist

Post by BatMite »

This is interesting and the two photos great. I don't believe Lee was ever credited on screen, as I only recall Ben Nye’s name.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Wow. That's fascinating. Wish I knew about and met Lee. He lived just over the hill about 30 minutes from me as it turns out. Very close to Burt's current neck of the woods.

As for Ben Nye, he was the Makeup Department head and they were the ones who got the credit rather than the individual on set artists for production back then unlike current times. Ben might not have raised a powder puff often for the show itself.

I got to help film an interview with makeup legend, Dan Striepeke a few years back (2017) before his death in 2019. He was the makeup department head over at 20th Century Fox during the 60s. Off camera, I asked him if he was involved with Batman during then. He said, "No. I was theatrical. Ben was television." On camera, he talked about how he was approached for a Special Oscar for "Planet of the Apes" since he was the department head (just like Ben was on Batman). He told the academy that John Chambers was the real makeup artist and designer for "Planet of the Apes" (and was uniquely credited so) and deserved the award. Anyway, he just explained that was how the pecking order use to read for things like makeup, hair and wardrobe back then. The person listed wasn't the only one working on the production and may have been only administrative as well.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
High C

Post by High C »

This was fascinating. Thanks for sharing. A very interesting story about an interesting. Sorry he's gone.

I don't know who this was, but here is a photo of a touch-up being done on-set:
Attachments
Joanmakeup.jpg
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17