SCRIPT: "Instant Freeze"/"Rats Like Cheese"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

SCRIPT: "Instant Freeze"/"Rats Like Cheese"

Post by bat-rss »

The next script we discuss on TO THE BATPOLES will be for the George Sanders version of Mr. Freeze, written by Max Hodge. Several different versions of it, in fact. Here's a link to a Dropbox folder containing all the scans (some scripts are in two pieces because that's how the U of W proxy researcher sent them to me). Please comment by Sept 16 to have your comments considered for inclusion in the episode.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/se8fvtt1efvg ... Qz0wa?dl=0
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Re: SCRIPT: "Instant Freeze"/"Rats Like Cheese"

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 pm Several different versions of it, in fact. Here's a link to a Dropbox folder containing all the scans

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/se8fvtt1efvg ... Qz0wa?dl=0
Thanks for sharing more scripts!

cheers
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I took a look at the Freeze scripts, and it looks like the only ones we really need to look at are the preliminary and the 1st draft. The other two are, apparently, retyped versions of the 1st draft.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 am I took a look at the Freeze scripts, and it looks like the only ones we really need to look at are the preliminary and the 1st draft. The other two are, apparently, retyped versions of the 1st draft.
I think a lot of the edits improved these scripts tremendously!

Ending the baseball players scene much sooner removes a lot of redundant dialogue and speeds things along. The audience wants the adventure to begin already...! Also, I'm glad Aunt Harriet shows enthusiasm instead of dismay in the broadcast version.

Everything in Gordon's office is faster and smoother, making Batman noble in an economical way.

The princess's line "But I do have a few curves..." is better as broadcast, clever double-meaning. A side-note, there's a level of repect for the characters and show in the whole baseball scene, from them eating snacks, to Bruce and her dialogue and Dick stammering, giving the episode breathing space, something in too short a supply down the road in Season Three.

Oooof! Glad the "Landlady" was cut. Just awful dialog dragging everything down.

The Batman/Freeze parade stuff was unneccesary. Quite obvious why it had to go both for budget and pacing, the latter of which seems to be the overall correction across both parts; simplifying the story as needed so it flows better.

It's too bad ""As the Bat flies" was lost though...such a good line, too bad it never made it on screen in another tale.

While clever, superimposed text for Freeze would've distracted from the story, once again a good cut.

Batman judo-fighting Freeze was much too long of a scene and felt off, he seems much too dignified a villain to engage in fisticuffs. Again, as filmed it got the threat of Freeze and his environment across quickly.

I wondered if there was a scene of Robin being captured.

Cutting it made sense not just to save cents (har har)

but because showing Robin's failure via frozen Bat-copter blades ruins the surprise of Batman finding him in the dining room. And let's face it, some icicles on the propellers is dull. Good it was gone.

Does the handwriting on pg 68 read "Batman can't be dopey"...? Aye!

Let's fix that on the top page in all caps on every scriptwriter's contract! And in giant letters on set and in the producer's office.

BATMAN CAN'T BE DOPEY!

And if it doesn't say that, well...I still think it should've been Rule #1. You do not talk about Bat-Fight club...whoops. Holy Cornball!

Rule #1 BATMAN CAN'T BE DOPEY!!!!!!

While I like Gordon & O'Hara being competent, and here they're at their most competent (next to arresting Clavicle) them saving the Duo would've been a mistake.

Overall, a lot more story in this first draft but it slows everything down with needless detail and dialog while ending on an anti-climax.

What was cut helped create a script of "All killer no filler."

Though maybe in this case, "All chiller no filler!"

Holy Folies Brrrrrr-gère

cheers
High C

Post by High C »

Not much I can add to what robinboyblunderer said, but here's what I have:

I noticed how Freeze (then Zero, and now, thanks to you guys, we understand why the change was made), racked up quite a body count in the treatment. Hodge obviously was told that was a no-no before he went to script.

Amusing that one of the henchmen originally was named Otto. Holy foreshadowing, Batman!

As 'rbb' noted, the landlady scene was risible. Nothing lost there.

Besides 'Batman can't be dopey,' I wish third-season writers could've seen the notation--'too talky.' Late second-season and third-season arcs became talkfests as the best action seemed to be off-screen thanks to Dough-zier saving his money as he awaited the syndication windfall.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17