Famed designer Nolan Miller freelanced on Batman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Famed designer Nolan Miller freelanced on Batman

Post by High C »

And, yes, I'll give you one guess which actress he worked with. (And would again, 15 years later on a show called Dynasty.)

At least The Siren didn't wear shoulder pads. Although, admittedly, there would've been nowhere to put them in her Greco-Roman style gown. But maybe her more mod-style dress, the one she wore in the garage scene with the Commish, could have accommodated some. ;)

Yes, believe it or not, the late iconic designer Nolan Miller says he was called in to design the costuming for Joan Collins' outfits on Batman. It's all here in the Television Academy Interviews, from 7:45 to 9:35. He also says he was brought in to work on Tallulah Bankhead's costuming when she portrayed Black Widow.

https://interviews.televisionacademy.co ... lip=118088

Unfortunately, the interviewer fails to ask followups about Siren's costume, and is more interested about Bankhead's state of mind during her shoot. It isn't good, and you can hear the salacious details in the interview.

Yes, this is bizarre. But Miller had no reason to lie. (To impress whom? Some idiot ;) who calls himself High C? If you wanted to impress people, you'd say you designed Julie's costume.) And he is quite specific, saying he did NOT work with Joan when she guested on Starsky and Hutch, even though it was an Aaron Spelling-produced show. He says Batman was the only show on which he worked with her pre-Dynasty.

I would add this is more evidence that Joan was not a last-minute addition if they were calling in someone from the outside.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
twint9

Re: Famed designer Nolan Miller freelanced on Batman

Post by twint9 »

The video link above does not seem to include the discussion described -
High C

Post by High C »

twint9 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:39 am The video link above does not seem to include the discussion described -
Yes, it's confusing, but scroll below the video and click on the link where it says, 'Nolan Miller on costuming Joan Collins and Tallulah Bankhead when they guest-starred on Batman'

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy. But if you click on that link it should give you the correct sound bite.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Yes, I see the confusion. The video at the top is Pt. 8 of 12 of Miller's interview but the video that contains his remarks about "Batman" is Pt. 5 of 12 of the overall interview at the 7:45 mark and when you hit the hot link further down the page you're being taken to the spot in Part 5 where it takes place.

It is very interesting to get this revelation which tells us they were going the custom-design route for Joan and Siren and not simply redoing some existing off the rack 20th Century Fox costume (see Ida Lupino!).
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Ahhh the Television Academy interviews are the gift that keeps on giving now a lot of these talented folks are no longer with us.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am I would add this is more evidence that Joan was not a last-minute addition if they were calling in someone from the outside.
This is my biggest take-away, too. Nice detective work! How'd you stumble onto this one?
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 am
High C wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am I would add this is more evidence that Joan was not a last-minute addition if they were calling in someone from the outside.
This is my biggest take-away, too. Nice detective work! How'd you stumble onto this one?
I search 'Joan Collins Batman Siren' every few days and see where it takes me. Somehow I had missed this one. 8-)

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:09 am
Dan E Kool wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 am
I search 'Joan Collins Batman Siren' every few days and see where it takes me. Somehow I had missed this one. 8-)
As one does.
- Boy Genius