DOCUMENT: Semple's "Mr. Zero" concept and 1st episode summary

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

DOCUMENT: Semple's "Mr. Zero" concept and 1st episode summary

Post by bat-rss »

In our recent "The Dozierverse Stumbles" episode of TO THE BATPOLES!, we talked about the script for a test scene (perhaps never shot?) for a science fiction/detective show called MR. ZERO, written by Lorenzo Semple, Jr. In November on the show we're going to discuss the 40-page description of what the show would be, including an 18-page summary of the first episode. I'm providing a link to the document here. Our recording date isn't set yet; probably around November 2. Comment here and we may use your comments on the show!

Read it here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: DOCUMENT: Semple's "Mr. Zero" concept and 1st episode summary

Post by High C »

Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Some thoughts--It obviously was an attempt to cash in on the success of Bond/UNCLE and throw in a dollop of sci-fi. But here's my problem: What exactly do any of Zero's gadgets do??? He and Johnny get captured in part 2 and it's up to the military to save them. Great. Sounds like the GCPD potentially saving Batman in Freeze's lair. As the kids say, that's a no. One would think Zero would have SOMETHING to get them out of that fix. Otherwise, WHAT. IS. THE. POINT?

I mean, it promises so much and delivers so little. SPOILERS, FWIW:

The climax of part 2 AND the escape from the part 1 cliffhanger are both letdowns. Yeah, they are big set pieces, but Zero DOESN'T save them either time, and, in fact, Semple doesn't explain how ANYONE saves the day at the conclusion of part 2. A cheat, really. If I were a TV exec and this crossed my desk, I'd be like, 'and then what happened?'

Again, what is the point of all of this? Zero is saved by the alien 'controllers' in part 1, and the U.S. military in part 2. Some hero. :roll:

I was so hoping Johnny Lee might be the lead, but then I remembered, oh yeah, it's the 1960s. <Sad trombone> And the secretary not knowing his secret identity is SO hackneyed and Dozier-esque. Semple-esque, too. He wasn't noted for strong female characters.

It's funny--there are tropes here that would show up later. Both Our Man Flint and In like Flint had beautiful women (Flint's multiple girlfriends) being brainwashed, or, in the second one, the brainwashing attempts failing because of HIS programming. In the second one, it was at a--you guessed it--beauty spa. And the concept of someone sent from another planet to clean up Earth's messes somewhat echoes the failed Star Trek backdoor pilot, Assignment Earth. In fact, a treatment has never been made available, but this seems more in line with the title of co-writer Art Wallace's original concept for that failed backdoor pilot, Space Cop.

When Geneva Jax shot Dale, I immediately said to myself, 'She's a double or she's hypnotized.' Wasn't hard to decipher.

I can see why nobody bit on this. Even for a pilot.

Potential reviewer had it made it to pilot: 'Ultimately, Mister Zero lives up, or should I say down, to his name.' Too easy. (Back then, busted pilots were burned off and shown in the summer.)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Just FYI, we're now planning to record our discussion on Tue, Nov 2, 8:30 am Eastern Time.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:56 pm Just FYI, we're now planning to record our discussion on Tue, Nov 2, 8:30 am Eastern Time.
Anyone who is into Semple should take a look at this. Granted, it is not Batman, but it is interesting and again, a fascinating look into what was involved and included in a TV pitch back then.

Personally, I don't think it is Semple's best work. The trappings are there, but it's kind of generic, as I noted before. Knowing he wanted to break into movie screenwriting by this point, I am not sure his heart and soul was really in this. The set-ups are OK, but the payoffs are lacking.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17