TO THE BATPOLES #171 "Adam West Naked": Back to "Back to the Batcave"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #171 "Adam West Naked": Back to "Back to the Batcave"

Post by bat-rss »

In 2009, Batman wasn’t yet available on home video, with the rights issue still unresolved, and there was no certainty that would ever change. Adam West, 80, feared that it wouldn’t change in his lifetime. So he set out to release a sort of standalone commentary track, setting up cameras at his home in Idaho to capture his memories of each episode of the show. It’s fun to see him talk about Batman, and the package of his reminiscences, Adam West Naked, includes some interesting tidbits. But the production has its frustrating aspects, too. This time, we discuss the interesting and the frustrating aspects of Adam’s commentary - and can’t resist poking some fun at the title.

ALSO: The Ronnie Kole Trio version of the theme, Holy Deja Vu visits Green Acres, and we read your comments on episode 168, The Dozierverse Stumbles.

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #171 "Adam West Naked": Back to "Back to the Batcave"

Post by Scott Sebring »

Adam shared this video on the board back in 2009 during the making of Adam West Naked:
http://www.66batman.com/2008/08/24/from ... deo-diary/
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Sorry about the picture that I posted in my response to the Dick Tracy pilot didn’t appear when you saw it. I swear it was there when I posted it. Here’s a link to the picture.

https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=61A20AAB
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Guys, there's no need to sound so apologetic when mentioning the shortcomings of Adam West Naked; while it was a good effort to talk about the series, as you pointed out, West retold long-debunked stories and myths about the series, and to hear him go that route just took me out of the production, or had me wanting him to move to the next topic. He should have considered setting up a small gathering of then-surviving Dozierverse participants to share their memories, and perhaps add clarity to certain events, whenever West was spinning tall tales.

I'm still waiting for someone to write a serious history of the Batman, or perhaps all of Dozier's series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Kamdan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 am Sorry about the picture that I posted in my response to the Dick Tracy pilot didn’t appear when you saw it. I swear it was there when I posted it. Here’s a link to the picture.

https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=61A20AAB
Hi Kamdan,
Your link isn't working...
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:25 pm I'm still waiting for someone to write a serious history of the Batman, or perhaps all of Dozier's series.
As beloved as the Batman series is, it's a shame that it hasn't gotten the kind of careful writing of its history that Star Trek has. I guess its modern day fanbase isn't as big as TOS's. We do have the "Bat Coffee Table Book," but as our nickname for it implies, there's so much more detail that could be included in a true history of the series. The BCTB still only scratches the surface.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Star Trek had the movies and conventions adding to its fan base, while our show was disavowed for many years, then legal battles, etc. it’s like the criminal underworld in the show set out to thwart our heroes.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
High C

Post by High C »

It's also that a lot of people who are fans of the show flat-out aren't interested in discussing the episodes themselves. I'm not knocking, I'm just saying.

I mean whatever floats your boat. To each his/her own. But it's the truth.

The show not being available on home video for a long time had something to do with that, no doubt.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yeah, all those are factors. The long lack of home video is huge; once it came out seven years ago, we saw a flood of Bat-merch follow it. But undoubtedly it's mostly being consumed by fans in their 50s and up...

It's also true, as High C says, that (as we see on the various Facebook Batman '66 groups, that Batman doesn't inspire the same level of academic interest that Star Trek does. Those groups are mostly nostalgia-based; not much interest in unearthing new info on the show.

Also, it would be harder to start up a new TV show based on the old one, which Trek has now done numerous times. Even if you got enough viewer interest, what's gonna happen on the show? Is this "Batman: The Next Generation"? Is it campy? Is there any way to make it faithful to the show (funny, not Grim & Gritty Batman) and get enough eyeballs?