Burt Ward's script "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo"?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr. Glee

Burt Ward's script "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo"?

Post by Mr. Glee »

I recently came across an interview with Burt Ward that ran in the newspaper The Morning Sun (Allentown, PA) on April 17, 1966, which includes this claim: "Burt has written a script himself, 'The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo,' which he hopes will be filmed for the series in the near future."

Almost a year later, in the February 18, 1967 edition of The Dispatch (Moline, IL), the following item appeared, under the headline "Boy Wonder Script": "Holy whiskers! Robin the Boy Wonder really is. Burt Ward just sold a script he wrote titled "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo" to - you guessed it, dear fans of law and order in Gotham - 'Batman.' The two-part adventure will be aired early this Spring."

Obviously no such episode was ever filmed or aired, but does anybody know if Ward did in fact write such a script? If it ever really existed, is anything known of the plot?
Mr. Glee

Re: Burt Ward's script "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo"?

Post by Mr. Glee »

Here's another Februay '67 mention of the Ward script, though this one says the script "may be used next year":
670225_ward_script.jpg
670225_ward_script.jpg (106.25 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

The American Heritage Center at the U of Wyoming doesn't list the script as part of the Dozier collection. Considering that there a number of unproduced Bat-scripts there, it makes me doubt it exists, but who knows. Maybe it ended up in Horwitz's papers or someone else's.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Anybody know which rock ‘n’ roll groups he signed? I know Adam West managed the Quirks, a band I believe from Idaho.
dell

Post by dell »

I am going to take a wild guess and say that the script for "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo" only exists in the windmills of his mind.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 am I am going to take a wild guess and say that the script for "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo" only exists in the windmills of his mind.
'Ya gotta understand...'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

dell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 am I am going to take a wild guess and say that the script for "The Exploits of Dr. Voodoo" only exists in the windmills of his mind.
Alongside Stanley Ralph Ross's alleged interracial Bat-Cat wedding scene in season three....
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I would find it easier to believe one of the stars of a then-popular series wrote a script (which was not uncommon in TV history, and was at least a news story as seen in Mr. Glee's posts) than Stanley Ralph Ross's season three script fable. No network was going to broadcast that even if it (somehow) made it before cameras in that era.
Beneath Wayne Manor