Arlene Dahl dies at 96; Was offered Marsha role

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Arlene Dahl dies at 96; Was offered Marsha role

Post by High C »

I'm putting this on the regular board because I have seen the document which backs up the title of my thread.

Sadly, actress Arlene Dahl died on Monday at age 96.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/arle ... 235121434/

Dahl was in films in the late 1940s and 1950s and then in TV in the early 1960s before concentrating on her entrepreneurial interests in cosmetics. Dozier contacted her as his second choice for Marsha after Zsa Zsa Gabor begged off because of a family crisis--her mother had suffered a fracture.

To give you an idea of how linear Dozier's thinking was, Dahl played the title role in a 1953 movie called--wait for it--'The Diamond Queen.' ;)

(The letter, as was the unfortunate custom of many men of Dozier's age and background, was addressed to Mrs. Alexis Lichine. Alexis Lichine was Dahl's fourth of six husbands, a wine expert.)

Obviously, Dahl turned it down and Dozier pivoted to Carolyn Jones on very short notice.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Ben Bentley

Re: Arlene Dahl dies at 96; Was offered Marsha role

Post by Ben Bentley »

I have heard Dahl’s name bandied about, but I didn’t not realise the extent of the nail-on-head reference point of “The Diamond Queen”. This definitely smacks of where Dozier’s head was at with S2’s “made for TV” villains. Other notable cases in point being Van Johnson/The Minstrel and his prior Pied Piper role.
High C

Post by High C »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 pm I have heard Dahl’s name bandied about, but I didn’t not realise the extent of the nail-on-head reference point of “The Diamond Queen”. This definitely smacks of where Dozier’s head was at with S2’s “made for TV” villains. Other notable cases in point being Van Johnson/The Minstrel and his prior Pied Piper role.
Good comparison to the Van Johnson situation, Ben.

I screened 'The Diamond Queen' on YouTube, or at least Dahl's scenes. She would have been fine, definitely had that imperious quality they were looking for in Marsha. In fact, there was one scene in which she was reclining, eating grapes, which seemed like a combination of Tut and Marsha.

Better yet, there was another scene (forgive me, I wasn't engrossed enough to catch the context) in which she was put into a contraption to supposedly match her weight in diamonds on the other side. Reminded me of the scene in the 'That Darn Catwoman' episode. Seems like the Greenway boys screened it or at least saw it on the late late show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamo ... 1953_film)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 pm I have heard Dahl’s name bandied about, but I didn’t not realise the extent of the nail-on-head reference point of “The Diamond Queen”. This definitely smacks of where Dozier’s head was at with S2’s “made for TV” villains. Other notable cases in point being Van Johnson/The Minstrel and his prior Pied Piper role.
You beat me to it BEN. I was thinking the same thing
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think anyone would have been a better pick for Marsha. Jones was never an actress with any charisma for me. Essentially playing Poison Ivy I would have liked to have seen an Ann Margaret (probably wouldn't do TV) or Arlene Martel who played Spock's wife to be on Star Trek. She had an exotic quality to her that at least made her appealing.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Here's the document in question confirming the offer was made to Dahl.

My favorite role of hers was "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" which also has Alan Napier in a small part.
Scan 270.jpg
High C

Post by High C »

Much thanks to epaddon for finding and attaching the document. My bad for 'mis-remembering'--it actually was Horwitz' letter I had recalled.