Differences between Batgirl Pilot cowls

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Larry A.

Differences between Batgirl Pilot cowls

Post by Larry A. »

Greetings Citizens.
I was just googling the Batgirl Pilot costumes and I noticed something interesting: There appears to have been 2 different cowls used in the pilot. The first one not only has the pointed mask, but there is a chinstrap instead of the one that fits behind the neck. The second one also has the pointed mask BUT has the standard behind the neck strap! Both have the smaller eye holes. What if anything. does any of our members know about these cowls.

Thanks,
Larry
clavierankh

Re: Differences between Batgirl Pilot cowls

Post by clavierankh »

I understand the reason for the change was the original cowl was uncomfortable and left marks on her face.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Oh, I agree with You Clavierankh, but I was pointing it out for the benefit of our members who might want to make copies of them.
Larry
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I don't recall a second cowl in the "pilot" that went behind the neck. I just watched it again and they were all under the chin. Where did you see the other one?
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Scott, I saw it on a picture of YC on what appears to be the pilot BG motor cycle and the mask hass the points but the strap behind the neck. I hope that helps.
Larry
High C

Post by High C »

Looking at the scene in the 'presentation reel,' I agree with Scott. It appears to me to be a shadow, not a strap. That's just my interpretation.

I tend to doubt that Bill 'Dough-zier' would spring for two cowls in something that wasn't intended to be seen by the public. But again, that's just my interpretation.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Larry A. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:27 pm Hey Scott, I saw it on a picture of YC on what appears to be the pilot BG motor cycle and the mask hass the points but the strap behind the neck. I hope that helps.
Post the pic if you can. All the pilot cycle ones I've seen are under the chin.
YC-bg_003_e.jpg
YC-bg_004_e.jpg

Here's the only two shots used in the promo reel with the cycle. Both are under chin.
bg+promo_cycle_2.jpg
bg+promo_cycle_3.jpg
bg+promo_cycle_4.jpg
bg+promo_cycle_5.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Yep, You are correct, Scott. It was indeed a shadow. Thanks for clearing it up for me! Happy New Year to You all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Larry A. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:52 am Yep, You are correct, Scott. It was indeed a shadow. Thanks for clearing it up for me! Happy New Year to You all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy New Year to you too!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I made this same discovery today and then searched the board to find you all talking about it. There were 2 different pointed face cowls, each with a different holding strap. My guess is that Yvonne soldiered through the test film with it then when production started, it was too much so they changed it.

EDIT: Just noticed that the shadow under the chin is probably the chin strap so perhaps there was only the one.
Attachments
Batgirl cowls.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Batfanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:58 pm I made this same discovery today and then searched the board to find you all talking about it. There were 2 different pointed face cowls, each with a different holding strap. My guess is that Yvonne soldiered through the test film with it then when production started, it was too much so they changed it.

EDIT: Just noticed that the shadow under the chin is probably the chin strap so perhaps there was only the one.
Just the one.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Remember the presentation film made use of the comic's transformation scenes: the scalloped skirt becomes the cape and Barbara's purse becomes the cowl. So one cowl is probably more like a prop than a piece of costume. It resembles a normal purse and is flipped inside out, but the cowl she puts onto her head is probably eventually a different item. Of course, where Barbara keeps her keys and money is another thing. (According to Eaglemoss's magazine, her makeup is under the seat of the Batgirlcycle.)
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)