TO THE BATPOLES #177: Stanford Sherman’s Marsha: “Rewriting the fool thing”

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #177: Stanford Sherman’s Marsha: “Rewriting the fool thing”

Post by bat-rss »

As we showed last time, Cannan and Cash’s Marsha script wasn’t produceable for many reasons. So Greenway handed off the project to Stanford Sherman, fresh off Hizzoner the Penguin, to salvage it, and he quickly realized he had no choice but to start from scratch. The result, of course, is the Marsha two-parter we all know (though perhaps not love). It comes as no surprise, though that some changes were made between the “final” script and what was shot. This time, we take a look at those differences.

PLUS: Holy Deja Vu looks at James Millhollin, Adam and Burt make some jokes we’ve heard a million times, Al Wood’s ukulele version of the theme, and we read your response to episode 174 on women in season two!

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
chrisbcritter

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #177: Stanford Sherman’s Marsha: “Rewriting the fool thing”

Post by chrisbcritter »

Might be a stretch, but Alfred's original alias "John Macmillan" could have been a reference to the English war secretary John Profumo and Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, whose political careers were ended by the Profumo Affair sex scandal of 1963. I can see that getting changed when someone at the studio caught it.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Guys, I appreciate the research and effort you put into every show, but...Marsha. Let's just put it this way: when i was a kid, the Marsha episodes were something to endure or avoid (like most of season three), but it was not enjoyable. Even as a kid, I was well aware of Carolyn Jones from work other than The Addams Family, and based on her abilities, I felt she was not at her best, instead, going overboard with that "Luxurious Lady of Larceny" routine.

By this time in the series, the scripts were not even trying to keep at least eight of its ten toes in the action/adventure pool, and leaning heavily on sight gags (e.g., the rice throwing moment with Batman & Alfred) that one would have expected on a full-on sitcom such as Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. or I Dream of Jeannie.

...and Aunt Hilda? Winwood's performance seemed to be a cheap copy of Marion Lorne's Aunt Clara character from Bewitched, and not nearly as sweet a personality.

The Bat-Question ("Name one villain on the show who you could have done without, and how they could have been improved?") I will answer here, if you don't mind. Well....start with Marsha, or better yet, toss that story, as it was just so tiresome and goofy. A poorly conceived villain on top of that only made the episodes go from bad to awful.

Next--i've said this before, but my fantasy re-casting would have Carmel's Gumm booted, replaced by the Joker only if Romero played it like the more sinister version from his first appearance.

...and yes, I could have done without Preminger and Wallach as Mr. Freeze; both were too over-the-top, and more than anything, strong examples of how the series was on a creative decline, when it had to sell such cartoonish characterizations.

In the Too Easy Department, SO many season three villains should never have stepped in front of camera, such as Minerva, Louie the Lilac, Lola Lasagne, Dr. Cassandra...
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

Guys, I know it's too late for the show the comments appeared on, but if you find yourself needing some material at the end of a future show...I also have a post that was too late to make the cut on the Marsha podcast prior to this one.

I agree with Paul that Carolyn Jones' performance is very good for what it is trying to be. But, IMO, it wasn't what the show needed at this juncture. I mean, and this isn't a knock at you guys, but look at the 2 screengrabs Tim chose for your eps. Jones is doing a sitcommy double-take in both. As much as I've criticized Julie Newmar's jocular season 2 line readings, the only real sitcom eye-roll she would do was the 'why can't I get good help' Dick York-esque slow burn. Other than that, I don't recall too many double-takes.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17