TO THE BATPOLES #184: "Hizzoner": A Good Script? It's Debatable

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #184: "Hizzoner": A Good Script? It's Debatable

Post by bat-rss »

Stanford Sherman’s Hizzoner the Penguin is a bit hard to reckon with. Satire on Batman is not in line with Lorenzo Semple Jr’s vision for the show, and the 1966 political references date this arc much more than many others. And yet, it has some brilliantly funny moments. This time, we take a look at Sherman’s treatment, first draft, and final script for Hizzoner to learn about the development of the story, possible reasons why Sherman was unhappy with the result, and previously unnoticed moments that suddenly stand out - for good and ill.

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #184: "Hizzoner": A Good Script? It's Debatable

Post by Scott Sebring »

Great episode. I think you were spot on as to the improvements made by the "as shot" version compared to the previous scripts. That arc has always been a tough one for me. Cool to hear about the notes made by the 'The Bat Leader" himself.
The "Here Comes Batman" song trivia was fun when the conversation turned to "Creature of Destruction." Ah, Les Tremayne. I literally smiled when I heard Tim mention his name. I didn't know about the 3% degrees Batman connection through David Lewis on General Hospital. Cool. Personally, I knew of a couple of other 3-6% connections with Batman of his. I grew up watching him as Mentor on the Saturday morning live-action series,"Shazam," so that's where I have a soft spot for him. Other than the DC character connection, "Shazam" included another Batman alumni: Adam West. Adam did the voice for "Hercules" during the Elders scenes with Billy each episode. Although Adam went uncredited, it has been a pretty widely known bit of Shazam trivia for years.
Here's my favorite connection I stumbled upon. I have a certain guilty pleasure for the film, "The Angry Red Planet" by American International Pictures (a name in quality). Tremain plays scientist, Prof. Theodore Gettell alongside the main engineer-Scotty-type played by none other than Jack Kruschen aka of Eivol Ekdal. For further comics in other media trivia, the leader of the crew was played by Gerald Mohr who was also the voice of 1967's Mr. Fantastic and Filmation's Green Lantern.
les tremainmentor.jpg
Les as Mentor
shazam tv series.jpg
hercules-shazam.jpg
Adam as Hercules (sort of)
the angry red planet.jpg
Les in front of a very familiar model of computer (another Batman connection?) with Jack "Eivol Ekdal" Kruschen working behind him
the angry red planet 2.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Don't forget Gerold Mohr's rendition of Satan in Lost in Space's episode, ""A Visit to Hades". (One of the better, albeit sillier, 2nd season episodes, imho!)
I actually enjoy "The Angry Red Planet"!
Larry
High C

Post by High C »

Good and thought-provoking script show, as always.

Tim, your point about the election loophole that Batman found in the treatment is well-taken. No, it doesn't fit the Semplian ideal.

But riddle me this, Dynamic Duo of Bat-Podcasting, is it the Semplian ideal for Batman and Robin to PURPOSELY put henchmen in the campaign literature machine just for a sight gag?? (They could've ended up maimed or worse had this been a Dark Knight film. Just saying.)

Worse yet, they lift up an already subdued Pengy and do the same to him. This is being vengeful, a thing Horwitz said the Season 1 Batman would NOT do (in the Mad Hyatter script). That ain't civic responsibility Batman.

Now, in essence, Batman (and worse yet, his young charge) are spiking the ball and doing a TD dance on Pengy's prone body. We're wayyyyyy past Semple-land.

The S1 ending, IMO, would've been Batman telling Lulu (who watched in horror as the GOONs went through the press but then mysteriously vanishes), something akin to, 'Let this be a lesson, young lady, politics is more than empty promises, rock-and-roll bands and shiny buttons. (Adam turns to camera) It's hard work to earn the trust and serve the interests of the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens. But it can be rewarding.'

And Tim, I didn't know Cindy Malone was another Strangis in the night. Good call.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:31 am Good and thought-provoking script show, as always.
Agreed.

But riddle me this, Dynamic Duo of Bat-Podcasting, is it the Semplian ideal for Batman and Robin to PURPOSELY put henchmen in the campaign literature machine just for a sight gag?? (They could've ended up maimed or worse had this been a Dark Knight film. Just saying.)
Well, in the '66 movie, the Duo had no trouble beating henchmen senseless, and sending them toppling into the ocean. Head and body trauma and struggling in the water is not a safe combination, so I think Batman and Robin have no issue with placing villains in danger from time to time.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:03 pm
High C wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:31 am Good and thought-provoking script show, as always.
Agreed.

Well, in the '66 movie, the Duo had no trouble beating henchmen senseless, and sending them toppling into the ocean. Head and body trauma and struggling in the water is not a safe combination, so I think Batman and Robin have no issue with placing villains in danger from time to time.
They didn't have much choice given the venue and the lack of space. This was different. Three, including Penguin, were deliberate and unnecessary.

My larger issue is with the humiliation aspect. As Horwitz said in his Mad Hatter script comments in season 1, also graciously provided by the Young brothers, 'Batman is not interested in revenge-only crime fighting.' I would say picking up an already-subdued Pengy bodily and stuffing him in the machine qualifies as 'revenge.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Re-used extras department! The cameraman from "Batman is Riled"...
extra riled.jpg
...shows up again as one of the parents in the baby-kissing scene in "Hizzoner the Penguin":
extra hizzoner.jpg
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

Here's a little more info on Scotty McKay's "Here Comes Batman" - it was actually released in January, 1966 (or at least it was reviewed in the Jan 29 '66 issue of Cash Box magazine - see below.) So the record had already been out for more than a year when McKay filmed his "Creature of Destruction" scenes, in April of 1967.
660129_cb.jpg
660129_cb.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
And, at the risk of veering off topic, if anybody wants to know more about "Creature of Destruction," you can find actor Aaron Kincaid's scathing and hilarious recollections of its making here (you'll need to scroll way down, to "page 93"):

https://scarletstreetmagazine.blogspot. ... -1994.html

(BTW, "Creature" was made by the same folks responsible for "Mars Needs Women," which starred Yvonne Craig and was filmed in Nov./Dec. of 1966, just weeks before she made the Batgirl "pilot.")
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

chrisbcritter wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:32 pm Re-used extras department! The cameraman from "Batman is Riled"...
extra riled.jpg
...shows up again as one of the parents in the baby-kissing scene in "Hizzoner the Penguin":
extra hizzoner.jpg
Great eye!