Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

FLOYDLEWIS

Batman we don't speak of...

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

From the 1970s...see the special review HERE

AndyFish

Re: Batman we don't speak of...

Post by AndyFish »

I didn't watch the review but one of the things about this pair of shows that has struck me is what is it called? The DVD from Warner is LEGENDS OF THE SUPERHEROES, the TV guide title was CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERHEROES, the second part is consistently called ROAST OF THE SUPERHEROES (although I did see it listed as THE SUPERHERO ROAST once)-- maybe the two parts together make it the LEGENDS?

As a kid watching this, I knew it was bad, like REAL bad. But the 70s were a desperate time for superhero fans looking for live action versions of their comic book heroes, and this was the first live action appearance for Flash, Hawkman, Huntress, Green Lantern, Black Canary and all of the villains except for Riddler.

Adam West expressed serious regret about doing the show, because a year later Warner Bros announced the big budget Batman film at New York Comic Con, where they actually flashed the Bat-Signal onto the Empire State Building. Any Warner execs who might have been in favor of West returning as Batman certainly couldn't have watched this and thought it was a good idea.

If you're a fan of terrible jokes, zero budget, and bad acting then this is for you. As a kid I felt bad for Adam doing this.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I recently rewatched this and agree with you 100% Andy. I too realized how bad this was in '79 even as a 14 year old.
I made it about half way this time. Its like watching a Six Flags show. LOL
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yup exactly that but without the hot dogs and the popcorn and the nice outside summer weather- and HEY, I filled in as Batman once at a Six-Flags show.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

My brother and I watched both parts when it originally aired and thought it was absolute stuff. Even MAD and Cracked satires were more faithful to the source than the garbage that was Legends / Roast. At a time when Superman had already been released, and on TV, the Hulk brought a new sense of realism and respectability to live action super-heroes, LOTS almost derailed the effect of those productions, all due to Hanna-Barbera (never known for quality past 1968) buying into the then-growing myth that Batman (particularly the Dozier version) was a walking joke to be laughed at.

West and Ward were grossly out of shape--looking like a couple of over-the-hill fathers cosplaying at their kids' birthday party, and for the fact Hanna-Barbera did not think the two would have benefited from a gym session (or two or three) after they agreed to star in this, shows that there was no part of this production that would be taken seriously.

Gorshin was going through the motions, and the constant comedic guest stars taking shots at the "heroes" was just annoying at best. Of the other characters, only Hawkman and Solomon Grundy fared the best--enough that they could have walked on to another set shooting a serious DC film, and they would have fit in...well, Hawkman would need some improved wings and eyes.

Then, there was the flocked, stripped down Batmobile. It looked so beat-up--anything other than "dynamic".
Beneath Wayne Manor
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I remember watching those specials mostly with gritted teeth at the attempts at humor; I would have been 18-19 at the time, but I probably would have reacted the same way if I'd seen them as a ten-year-old. I stuck with them to see Adam and Burt together again, at least, and they did try. Plus, to be honest, I've always had a thing for Hawkman so there's no way I'd miss seeing him in live action (and I'll agree with Batwinged Hornet about the eyes and wings).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

A few years ago, my brother Paul and I thought we had never watched this. But I'm a long-time diary keeper, and I found that my '79 diary proved that we HAD watched it. I guess the trauma was too much for us, and we blocked it from our memories! Of course we then discussed it on TO THE BATPOLES, and sadly we still remember THAT experience!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

I do remember watching these two specials as they aired. Until buying this on DVD, the only bit I remembered from the '79 viewing is Batman reminding Robin to "always swim with a buddy." I'm pretty sure I enjoyed "The Challenge" as I was only 9-years-old at the time, and my local UHF station stopped running the '66 series in syndication a few years earlier, so it was exciting for me to see Adam & Burt in action. But "The Roast", on the other hand, was excruciating even back then. Too many un-funny comedy bits. Not enough Batman & Robin. Something about it was just off. I felt the same way months earlier when I watched "The Star Wars Holiday Special" on its only airing - not enough of the characters from the movies and too many "comedy" bits and musical numbers.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

I liked them, although they weren't so bad they were good, they were so bad they were bad. But then again, I'm not exactly normal, even by this Message Board's standards... Maybe I look on them fondly because while they were bad, they were new and different.
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

And the Gila cowl makes me appreciate my Chuck cowl even more...
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Was definitely a turkey, but where else are you going to see Ernest T. Bass (Howard Morris' character on "The Andy Griffith Show") playing Dr. Sivana?
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

The Superhero version of the "Star Wars Holiday Special".
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Keith Mayo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:54 am The Superhero version of the "Star Wars Holiday Special".
Beggorah, ain’t that the truth!
Troy

Post by Troy »

I loved this special!
I still love this special!
I love the gila cowl!
I'll not be deterred in my affection!

Carry on...
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Troy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:46 pm I loved this special!
I still love this special!
I love the gila cowl!
I'll not be deterred in my affection!

Carry on...
Bless you sir. And the Star Wars Holiday Special had its moments. Especially if you're young.

---jthree