Batman 66 Shea Stadium, NYC Concert Poster auction

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

Batman 66 Shea Stadium, NYC Concert Poster auction

Post by rsaffle »

I found this poster about to be auctioned off at Heritage auctions and thought it was interesting. Their site has a very high resolution image if anybody would want it.

Batman, Young Rascals, Temptations 1966 Shea Stadium, NYC Concert Poster. An original cardboard window card advertising a gloriously fun pop-culture show at the legendary Queens, New York venue on Saturday, June 25, 1966. Adam West as Batman gets all the love and headlines here, as does Frank (The Riddler) Gorshin. The music almost seems like an afterthought but can you imagine also seeing the Temptations when their current single was "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," The Young Rascals playing their classic "Good Lovin'," Motown's Jr. Walker & the All-Stars, the Shades of Blue with "Oh How Happy" currently on the charts, and the Chiffons with their Top 10 hit "Sweet Talkin' Guy" also a hit right now?

Such a knockout poster that five years ago, Heritage sold one for $13,750. Holy pop-culture collectible, Batman! Consigned to us by the man who attended this show as a boy and added those fun elements to the verso at the time. Measures 14" x 22" and grades to repaired Very Good condition. COA from Heritage Auctions.

More Information: This poster dates to the first season of the smash ABC TV series "Batman" which ran from 1966 to 1968. The show was an instant hit, airing two episodes per week, both top ten rated shows for 1966-67. It is amazing to think that, at the very same stadium two months later, the Beatles played to an audience of more than 40,000 screaming fans!

Condition details: Poster once had a small missing corner piece, stains and one tear; all have been carefully repaired and eradicated by Chameleon Restoration. Significant handling and surface creasing throughout, but nothing breaking color. The poster's white surface has been touched-up in many places to ensure a smooth, even look. And the verso charmingly has the original newspaper review attached, plus a few words written in crayon and pencil by the original owner – and our consignor, now selling it 56 years later.
Attachments
BM BACK.jpg
BM FRONT.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Re: Batman 66 Shea Stadium, NYC Concert Poster auction

Post by AndyFish »

I've always liked this poster- I've bought from Heritage hundreds of times over the years, they are an honest auction house, not perfect sometimes, but they stand behind their actions and auctions. You can find a repro of this poster at virtually every comic con I've been at. Very neat.