SCRIPT: True or False Face

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

SCRIPT: True or False Face

Post by bat-rss »

The next script we'll be discussing on TO THE BATPOLES is Stephen Kandel's "False Face" script! We have an outline, a draft, and a revised draft, so they're all pretty early in the process. Recording has not been scheduled yet, but it will definitely be after July 11, 2022.

If you read the scripts and comment before we record, we may quote your post on the podcast. Will let you know when the recording date is set!

OUTLINE

First Draft

Revised Draft
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Lou Szabo

Re: SCRIPT: True or False Face

Post by Lou Szabo »

Now that's a fun look at the evolution of the script.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Hmm. One bit makes me wonder if it was a topical reference, or just coincidence: Batman asking Alfred for a dollar, and the line from the Phyllis Diller series The Pruitts of Southampton's theme song "We are out of champagne and I'm stuck, my dear/Ask the butler to lend you a buck, my dear!"

Well, both ABC, and both from 1966, and Phyllis did do a cameo later on Batman, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I found it interesting that scriptwriter Stephen Kandel included Inspector Basch in the False Face treatment. I wonder if Kandel was working off a series "bible" that was later updated to reflect the elimination of the Basch character or, perhaps more likely, if Kandel had seen the pilot (or its script) and used its cast of characters as a template.

In that vein it's interesting (if coincidental) that actor Michael Fox, who played Basch in the pilot, guests in Holy Rat Race as Leo Gore, the radio station manager. I wonder why his character's name was changed from Kandel's "Bevans," and why Fox didn't get a credit in the episode, since he has many more lines than any of FF's credited henchmen.

Speaking of whom, I wonder when in the process FF's gang were given their security-company names, Burns, Brinks and Pinkerton. The revised script, like the episode credits, still refers to them as "Midget," "Fat Man" and "Thin Man." Could they have made it all the way to production before it occurred to anyone that addressing the goons by those descriptors would be unwieldy, and that they needed actual names? However they got there, having FF name his crew of thieves after protectors of money was a nifty way of playing false.

One final thought: I love the "Bat$h*t!" rubber stamp, seen on page seven of the first draft, punctuating the deletion of Aunt Harriet's clueless ash-tree pun. I don't recall seeing the stamp before. Would we assume it was wielded by Horwitz?
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Although there are obvious differences between the outline, the two drafts and the produced episode, I have to note how tight and almost free of out-of-character moments the versions were. This was a strong concept from the start, and perhaps the greatest made-for-TV concept of the Dozier series, one that could have worked as a more adventurous episode of detective / crime TV dramas of the 50's such as Peter Gunn, or from the 1st half of the 60s, such as Burke's Law--its that much of a strong outlier to what many people think of a typical Batman '66 story.

The aired episode was near perfect, but I felt it would have inched over the finish line into TV perfection if it retained the outline's ending with False Face escaping (disguised as the bank president). I write this not with any wish that it would have set up a second arc for the villain, but it would have been yet another unique--and unexpected end for a villain (like Catwoman's apparent death at the end of "Better Luck Next Time"), instead of the expected capture at the end of part two.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:01 pm The aired episode was near perfect, but I felt it would have inched over the finish line into TV perfection if it retained the outline's ending with False Face escaping (disguised as the bank president). I write this not with any wish that it would have set up a second arc for the villain, but it would have been yet another unique--and unexpected end for a villain (like Catwoman's apparent death at then end of "Better Luck Next Time"), instead of the expected capture at the end of part two.
Hear, hear! Well said.
High C

Post by High C »

Thanks as always for providing the script, especially all the versions so we could see the creative process.

I know how Malachi always said he was told the original concept was different facial makeup, but I have to admit, I'm not quite sure how that would've worked, just reading the treatment and first draft. I don't know if he was sold a bill of goods or not. I agree with him, the mask looked bad.

Stephen Kandel, much like some of the other writers, had scripted for one-hour shows, so I am not surprised his break between parts 1 and 2 came too late for Horwitz' liking. That was not uncommon. But as BWH said, his grasp of the characters was very good for a show that had not yet aired. I assume they had shown him a rough cut of the pilot or had done a good job of explaining the concept.

This also clears up one thing that had bothered me.

I always had been dismayed by the scene near the end in which False-Face instantaneously goes from 'Cowboy' to Commish. That, to me, was the one instance in which the illusion was broken and in which FF became more of a shapeshifter than a 'master of disguise.' I was glad to see Kandel didn't write it in any of the incarnations. I guess it was added later.

(I'm sorry, it just is not physically possible. And yes, I am the guy who champions a woman who hypnotizes men with a tone that sounds like the Emergency Broadcast System. But that is a superpower, or, as the 'Wail' treatment indicated, a 'honed' skill. I lean to superpower, for the record. Anyway, if shapeshifter had been established, fine. It had not. It's jarring.)

As for the other issue, I disagree with respected posters BWH and Jim Akin. Yes, having FF get away would've fit the character and been a terrific change of pace. But in the first season, that is problematic. The kiddies are expecting The Duo to always get the bad guys. That would've really upset the proverbial applecart, IMO.

Costume recycling: It isn't reflected in the script but, speaking of Siren (and when am I not?) Blaze's silver boots in the '40 Acres' chase scene appear to be the same ones Lorelei Circe wore in the garage.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

High C wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:09 am I always had been dismayed by the scene near the end in which False-Face instantaneously goes from 'Cowboy' to Commish. That, to me, was the one instance in which the illusion was broken and in which FF became more of a shapeshifter than a 'master of disguise.' I was glad to see Kandel didn't write it in any of the incarnations. I guess it was added later.
This has always bothered me as well and in my opinion keeps the episode from being great. As it is, it’s still very good.
High C

Post by High C »

BatMite wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:19 pm
High C wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:09 am I always had been dismayed by the scene near the end in which False-Face instantaneously goes from 'Cowboy' to Commish. That, to me, was the one instance in which the illusion was broken and in which FF became more of a shapeshifter than a 'master of disguise.' I was glad to see Kandel didn't write it in any of the incarnations. I guess it was added later.
This has always bothered me as well and in my opinion keeps the episode from being great. As it is, it’s still very good.
Agree totally. It doesn't negate all the good stuff before, but it is problematic.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I believe we're going to record this Friday morning, although I sense it may still get delayed. But if you wanted to comment before we record, please do so soon.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"