Batman & The Addams Family

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gorshin Romero

Re: Batman & The Addams Family

Post by Gorshin Romero »

Re: Ted Cassidy's appearance as Lurch after the show was no longer being filmed.

I'm going to assume that it was simply a matter of Lurch being a recognizable character, probably more so than Ted Cassidy himself.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yes, more gag than promo. And for sure, the makeup was his key to recognition for many viewers.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

The Addams Family and Mr Freeze share a stuffed polar bear.

When the polar bear was accidentally set on fire (an incident written into an AF episode), it was replaced by a grizzly bear, which also got shared on "Batman".
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Batman1962 wrote:
Riddler Fan wrote:Has anyone else ever noticed the link between Batman and The Addams Family? Both stars of Addams family played Bat-Villains (John Astin & Carolyn Jones) and Ted Cassidy makes a window cameo. I can't think and any other TV show that got as many plugs, even though The Addams Family was off the air by the time Batman aired.
Don't forget that Batman aired on Wednesday nights, and Wednesday was the name of Gomez and Morticia's daughter. :D
Also Madge Blake (Aunt Harriet) was also on the first episode of The Addams Family guest starring as the principal Miss Comstock.
Gorshin Romero

Post by Gorshin Romero »

epaddon wrote:Would have been funnier if they go by the window and then it opens and we see the head of Sergeant Schultz looking up dubiously and then going, "I SEE NOTHING, NOTHING!" :D

THAT definitely would have been hilarious!

Slightly off topic, something similar did happen on "The Lucy Show" if anybody remembers. Bob Crane played himself, and Mr. Mooney's bank was financing a movie that Bob Crane was starring in dealing with WWI. At one point, Bob Crane is trying to escape from the Germans; he opens the door and there is John Banner dressed as Sergeant Schulz! Banner has no lines, but Bob Crane exclaims: "SCHULZ! You're in the wrong war!"
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I have to assume, NONE of us are old enough to remember. :) But anyway, here you go.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv69BFCgDjc[/youtube]
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Let's not forget that both Batman & Robin and The Addams Family appeared on The NEW Scooby Doo Movies.
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

bat-rss wrote:Does anyone know if the three Addams Family cast members who appeared in Batman season two (1966-67, the season immediately after Addams Family's second and final season) were under some kind of contract where they were still being paid even though their show was cancelled, so they could be asked to make appearances elsewhere, such as on Batman?

This idea was suggested in the "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds" episode of The Batcave Podcast, and I'm just wondering if it holds any water.

Alternatively, it could have just been because they were all free, with AF having been cancelled. And very odd that Ted Cassidy appears in character is Lurch, when there's no more AF on ABC to promote!
I am by no means an expert on this but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were so many stars that wanted to be on Batman that the only practical way to accommodate some of them was with the Bat climb window reveal. So I am not so sure that they were on it because they were made to but that they wanted to and if it required them to reprise their characters they had been known for then I am sure they said sure anything I just want to be on an episode of Batman!
Any thoughts on this?

Charles
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Progress Pigment wrote:I have to assume, NONE of us are old enough to remember. :) But anyway, here you go.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv69BFCgDjc[/youtube]
Link comes up inactive.