Any questions for SUSAN SILO?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Any questions for SUSAN SILO?

Post by bat-rss »

The next TO THE BATPOLES episode will (barring any last-minute schedule changes) feature an interview with Susan Silo! Do you have any questions for her? Please post them here by 7 pm Monday night Sept 19!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Jim Akin

Re: Any questions for SUSAN SILO?

Post by Jim Akin »

Congratulations on landing another member of the bat-cast as an interview subject.

Here are a few potential questions for Susan Silo:

Her episodes aired in the series' sixth week, as Batmania was gaining steam: Had she seen any episodes of Batman before she arrived on set to to shoot her appearance?

If so, what did she think of the series and was she excited to be part of it?
If not, were there any challenges to adapting her acting approach to match the show's unique tone?

Did she get any public reaction in the wake of her Batman appearance that felt different from recognition she'd had following appearances on other shows?

Was the role something she'd sought out because the show had "buzz," or was it just a routine casting opportunity at the time?

Did she feel like appearing on Batman gave her any boost in public esteem or in terms of other work opportunities?

As her episodes coincided with Frank Gorshin's first time back to work with the Batman crew since shooting the pilot (and the first time any villain had recurred on the show), was there any sense of reunion or homecoming on the set?

Is it crazy to think of Ms. Silo's voice performance as Neferkitty on The Garfield Show as an homage to Eartha Kitt?
dell

Post by dell »

Good questions
dell
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks Jim!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 am Her episodes aired in the series' sixth week, as Batmania was gaining steam: Had she seen any episodes of Batman before she arrived on set to to shoot her appearance?
Your question got me wondering about when this episode was shot and sadly I don't have any paperwork from this specific episode. (I have big holes in my S1 archives).. But we do know that this episode was Prod #8711... The episode prior to this in production order was #8709 (Joker Is Wild) and I do know that, that episode commenced shooting on 22nd Dec 1965 and likely concluded in the first week of January after the company returned from the Christmas hiatus. This is all a very long (yet provenanced) way of saying that I *believe* that "A Riddle A Day" was in fact the last full episode shot prior to January 12th, as True or False Face commenced on January 10th.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Ben Bentley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:36 pm
Your question got me wondering about when this episode was shot and sadly I don't have any paperwork from this specific episode. (I have big holes in my S1 archives). But we do know that this episode was Prod #8711... The episode prior to this in production order was #8709 (Joker Is Wild) and I do know that, that episode commenced shooting on 22nd Dec 1965 and likely concluded in the first week of January after the company returned from the Christmas hiatus. This is all a very long (yet provenanced) way of saying that I *believe* that "A Riddle A Day" was in fact the last full episode shot prior to January 12th, as True or False Face commenced on January 10th.
Thanks, Ben. Your logic is airtight. I figured that might be a "knowable unknown," but also that there was a remote chance the pilot might have been screened for benefit of the director or other crew, and that cast members might have had a chance to sit in.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben, interesting. Susan told us (as you'll hear next week) that Batman HAD premiered by the time RIDDLE was shot. Of course, as we know, memories of things that happened nearly 60 years ago are not always pristine; I'd be willing to accept hard evidence to the contrary.