When were Adam and Burt on the Merv Griffin Show?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

When were Adam and Burt on the Merv Griffin Show?

Post by bat-rss »

On TO THE BATPOLES I recently started including bits of the time Adam and Burt appeared on the Merv Griffin Show together. It's clearly just before the start of season two, because of the mention of Walter Slezak, Shelley Winters, etc coming up on the show. Various sources on the web show that the date was Sept 1, 1966, but IMDB does not have them appearing together on that date, or any other date! I was trying to find the day's guest list so I could figure out who the woman was they were talking with. (Once upon a time the video was on YouTube, but seems to be gone now.)

Can anyone verify that it was September 1, and/or point me to a guest list for the day they were on?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Jim Akin

Re: When were Adam and Burt on the Merv Griffin Show?

Post by Jim Akin »

I found this IMDB entry for July 20, 1967. As you note, clips have been posted before but are no longer available.

Female guests on the episode included Gwen Verdon, Lainie Kazan and Charo (whose voice I'm guessing you'd have recognized).
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Adam and Burt appeared on the show together on September 1st, 1966.
Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 07.56.27.png
Their interview is available as part of one of the compilation episodes streaming for free on Tubi. Their interview starts at the 30:16 mark.
https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/501209/s01-e06-episode-6

Note for Tim, unless you have a decent VPN up and running, i'm not sure it will stream in Japan for you, you may have to get Paul to review the clip.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Thanks for the clip, Ben.

Maybe the July '67 IMDB link I found was for a rerun, because the female guest Merv and our heroes are bantering with is indeed Gwen Verdon. She must've been plugging her appearance in Sweet Charity, since the "Charlie" tattoo the heroine sports in that play is obvious on her left shoulder. You can see it on the play program cover below as well.

Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:01 am Adam and Burt appeared on the show together on September 1st, 1966.

Their interview is available as part of one of the compilation episodes streaming for free on Tubi. Their interview starts at the 30:16 mark.

Note for Tim, unless you have a decent VPN up and running, i'm not sure it will stream in Japan for you, you may have to get Paul to review the clip.
That is the day I was born.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:37 am
Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:01 am Adam and Burt appeared on the show together on September 1st, 1966.

That is the day I was born.
That's awesome!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben, thanks! Gwen Verdon is not a name I'm familiar with... I did need to fire up my VPN.

Don't know what's going on with IMDB's listing for that date... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11152670/?ref_=ttep_ep172
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:31 am Thanks for the clip, Ben.

Maybe the July '67 IMDB link I found was for a rerun, because the female guest Merv and our heroes are bantering with is indeed Gwen Verdon. She must've been plugging her appearance in Sweet Charity, since the "Charlie" tattoo the heroine sports in that play is obvious on her left shoulder. You can see it on the play program cover below as well.
More than plugging it, she would have been in costume preparing to do a performance just after doing the Griffin show. These were the days when Merv was based in New York and his studio would have been in the heart of Broadway just blocks from the theater.

Gwen Verdon was a legend of Broadway from the 50s to 70s with her roles in "Damn Yankees," "Sweet Charity" and the original production of "Chicago." She was married to the equally legendary choreographer Bob Fosse. Because she was a theater performer she didn't do much film work apart from recreating her "Damn Yankees" role in the film.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

epaddon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 am
Jim Akin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:31 am Thanks for the clip, Ben.

More than plugging it, she would have been in costume preparing to do a performance just after doing the Griffin show. These were the days when Merv was based in New York and his studio would have been in the heart of Broadway just blocks from the theater.

Gwen Verdon was a legend of Broadway from the 50s to 70s with her roles in "Damn Yankees," "Sweet Charity" and the original production of "Chicago." She was married to the equally legendary choreographer Bob Fosse. Because she was a theater performer she didn't do much film work apart from recreating her "Damn Yankees" role in the film.
Interesting. Thanks, Jim.