TO THE BATPOLES #199: "Nora Clavicle" scripts and writing in season three

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #199: "Nora Clavicle" scripts and writing in season three

Post by bat-rss »

The three versions of the script for Nora Clavicle and the Ladies’ Crime Club raise some interesting questions about season three. Why did the Duo and Batgirl never have a way to easily contact each other? Why do our heroes’ early suspicions that Nora is crooked all get cut from the script? What are the types of female characters that the show keeps coming back to? Plus we look at lines and events that were cut — or added — at late stages in a very hurried process.

PLUS, Chad Vermillion’s “hey look, cool musical hardware!” version of the Batman theme, Lee Meriwether interviewed at the premiere of Batman the Movie, and we read some of your reaction to our look at the West/Gorshin Shea Stadium show!

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Larry A.

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #199: "Nora Clavicle" scripts and writing in season three

Post by Larry A. »

As regards why the Duo and Batgirl never had an easy way to contact each other, there are two answers. A.) the Producers/ Staff just didn't think about it and/or B.)The Duo didn't think "girls" should be fighting crime. That goes all the way back to the 50s' comics. So that is why, perhaps, they didn't have the Duo and BG be able to contact each other.

Just a thought.
Larry
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Could be also that having a way for them to contact each other would lead to the next step which would be sharing their identities and they weren't sure if they wanted to do it yet. Maybe they figured they hadn't spent enough time having Batman and Robin end every adventure by noting Batgirl's disappearance.

Also, having Batgirl operate outside direct guidance of Batman (and Robin) makes her a wildcard element in stories...need the Duo rescued, have Batgirl do it. Want her to be the damsel in distress, simple, she's on her own.

As for Nora Clavicle...good effort at exploring the original concepts versus the finished version but it all still remains one of my least favorite episodes, down there with what's her name and Cabala guy. That's how little I care for that episode.

What a waste of the actress playing Clavicle as she nailed down a completely new and evil villain and yet was stuck in this lackluster story. The very foundation of this tale had in-built problems, mainly...Clavicle's disgust for men kept her from having any. Which leads to the problem of confronting her; leaving some bizaree needle sword fight or Batman being wrestled. Maybe this could've been circumvented with Clavicle admitting they needed muscle and using men temporarily. I don't know. Another 3rd Season Strike out.

A question:

Are there other Catwoman scripts not written by SRR that you're aware of and are holding out for future episodes or did he pretty much hold the monopoly on the character aside from the Sandman eps?

cheers
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

In addition to all the poorly aged jabs at womens' rights, i's one of the few times that Batman and co. had to use different methods to save the day rather than fight the villains. There's nothing wrong with that, really; even if all the fun comes from seeing villains get pummeled. How often did shows in the 60's go without fight scenes when fighting bad guys? I know the 1977 cartoon had no fights, but I'm not really counting that one.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:59 pm A question:

Are there other Catwoman scripts not written by SRR that you're aware of and are holding out for future episodes or did he pretty much hold the monopoly on the character aside from the Sandman eps?

cheers
Sorry for the late response!

Back in 2018 we talked about a couple of unused Catwoman scripts that were actually two versions of the same story.

Nothing else listed in the American Heritage Center Dozier Collection holdings stands out as appearing to be a Catwoman script that we didn't already know about, so I think the only Catwoman scripts left to cover are those by Ross that we haven't already talked about on the show (and, of course, the Charles Hoffman rewrite of Ellis St. Joseph's "The Sandman Cometh").
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

bat-rss wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:12 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:59 pm A question:

cheers
Sorry for the late response!

It's fine, I appreciate the sentiment but no apology needed. Thanks for the info on these scripts.

Cheers!