"We've been here before": Bat-Locations in other Shows/Movies

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

"We've been here before": Bat-Locations in other Shows/Movies

Post by Ben Bentley »

It's no secret around these parts that i'm a big fan of Bat-Filming-Locations from the series, Scott and I are even writing a book about them. So when A Pennyworth recently started a thread about Wayne Manor being used on Mannix it made me think that after all this time, it could be really fun to start an ongoing thread where we could share Bat-Locations that we spot in other shows and movies.

To get the ball rolling, my Wife and I have just started watching a new ABC sitcom called "Not Dead Yet. The fictional newspaper office that the characters on the show work at is actually "Building 88" on the Fox back lot that we saw used as Woodrow Roosevelt High, Gotham City Museum and other exteriors.

BiffPow

Re: "We've been here before": Bat-Locations in other Shows/Movies

Post by BiffPow »

Very interesting. Astounding to see those buildings preserved.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

I think I mentioned this one before?

A familiar entrance of Police HQ in "Charlie's Angels" by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Side entrance of Gotham City Police HQ by Ian McLean, on Flickr

And I was very excited visiting here...

Ian at Gotham City Police Headquarters, 2013 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

and then recognising it, with new gold trim, in the movie, "Hail, Caesar!"

Gotham City Police HQ in "Hail Caesar!" by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:09 am I think I mentioned this one before?

A familiar entrance of Police HQ in "Charlie's Angels" by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Side entrance of Gotham City Police HQ by Ian McLean, on Flickr
Great catch, Ian! That doorway is actually on the backside of the very same building that I was talking about being used as Woodrow Roosevelt etc ("Building 88" at Fox)
BiffPow wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:27 am Very interesting. Astounding to see those buildings preserved.
A ton of things have certainly changed on the Fox lot since 1966, but thankfully Building 88 is still very much intact and is still used as corporate office space. It sits on an area of the Lot which which they now call Avenue of the Palms opposite the giant Fox Sports studio facilities that were built in the early 1990s.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This doesn't exactly meet Ben's prompt, but it doesn't seem worthy of a topic of its own. (Admins please feel free to move or spike if it's inappropriate.)

Watching The Joker's Last Laugh for the zillionth time, I only just noticed that the exterior of Penthouse Publishing, the former comic book outfit Joker uses to print funny money, has a name and address on it: Tishman 615. Googling reveals that it was located at 615 S. Flower St., at Wilshire Blvd., in Los Angeles. The Huntington Library has a photo of the "New Tishman Building" under construction in 1960.

Using Google Maps street view, it's hard to tell from the visible facades whether the building still exists or not. If it does, it apparently goes by a new name. Googling "Tishman Building" yields only two results, a high-rise in Buffalo NY and 666 Fifth Ave. in NYC. By amusing coincidence, the Manhattan location once housed a comic book company. It's the former home of DC Comics.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Jim Akin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:16 pm
Watching The Joker's Last Laugh for the zillionth time, I only just noticed that the exterior of Penthouse Publishing, the former comic book outfit Joker uses to print funny money, has a name and address on it: Tishman 615. Googling reveals that it was located at 615 S. Flower St., at Wilshire Blvd., in Los Angeles.

By amusing coincidence, the Manhattan location once housed a comic book company. It's the former home of DC Comics.
VERY cool sleuthing. Enjoy those interesting details. That can’t be a coincidence. Somebody had to have known.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

BiffPow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:59 pm VERY cool sleuthing. Enjoy those interesting details. That can’t be a coincidence. Somebody had to have known.
Thanks! I defer to Scott, Ben and other experts but my guess would be that the exterior shot of the building was stock footage chosen for its depiction of a high-rise that looked worthy of a batclimb, and that any connection to that other Tishman Building really was a coincidence. (I also don't know if DC, then known as National Periodical Publications, was based at 666 Fifth Ave. in 1966-67; I recognized the address from comics I read in the 70s.)