TO THE BATPOLES #201: Chip Kidd’s Book of Bat-Merch

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #201: Chip Kidd’s Book of Bat-Merch

Post by bat-rss »

When the Batman TV show set off Batmania in 1966, a wide variety of toys and other tie-in items, not all of them licensed, hit the market. Since licensers seldom made style guides in the ‘60s, rights to the actors likenesses weren’t available, and some of the onslaught of Bat-stuff came from overseas makers who thought Batman’s costume would look better in orange, the results are highly entertaining. This time we look at Chip Kidd’s 1996 book Batman Collected, a history of Bat-merch from 1938 to 1996. Y’know, we STILL want that Mego Batcave Playset.

Plus, the Sheet Music Boss piano tutorial version of the Batman theme, Adam West’s reaction to the film Batman and Robin, and your response to our “Women in Season Two” wrapup!

Listen here
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BiffPow

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #201: Chip Kidd’s Book of Bat-Merch

Post by BiffPow »

That was fun. Thanks.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The Star Trek episode was Miri in which Rand said she tried to get Kirk to notice her legs.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Interesting show, guys.

I find the idea of a Batman merchandising book not including the View-Master reels worthy of a mass jaw-dropping reaction. The reels were the most significant piece of merchandising based on the series, and was--for many fans--their only way to see the series in the pre-home video era. To me, it was the most valuable of all '66-related Batman products produced in the 60s.

My family had a bit of TV-based Batman merchandising, starting with the novelization of the movie:

We had the Signet version (left), but the book was published by Four Square in the UK, the same as Batman vs. Three Villains of Doom:

Warren's single-issue On the Scene movie dedicated a good portion of the magazine to the '66 film. I recall buying this again because the family's copy was worn out from constant handling. The 3-D comic was a reissue, only this time, the book also included photos of West and Ward:

The Simms Batmobile was a favorite purchased several times, thanks to more-than-energetic handling during playtime. The image also provides a good look at the Batboat:

Samson Products released the Batman logo ring in '66; my brothers had one molded in red. Although its not known to be based on the TV series, the shape of the bat always appeared to be fashioned after the TV series Bat-symbol:

Classic Industries Incorporated was one a few companies to jump on the popularity of slot-car racing, and like Aurora, C.I.I. produced a Batmobile slot car, but I do not remember the tail end of the car being so deformed:

My family had other Bat-items (e.g., Corgi, etc.), but we did notice the lack of TV-specific merchandising. Perhaps we appreciated the few show-inspired items which were released, because no one believed (in the early syndication years) Batman would ever have a licensing resurgence.
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Wow, Hornet, thanks for the tour! That Simms Batmobile is definitely the one we had.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"