13th Hat episode - Batman statue

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfanman

13th Hat episode - Batman statue

Post by Batfanman »

So this came up in my feed today and it got me thinking that parts of this statue might be a real cowl and possibly the pilot pouch version of the utility belt instead of being sculpted. The detail, especially on the cowl is extremely good and knowing the way they make props, using a real, albeit likely sacrificial cowl and belt might have been more expedient. Thoughts??
Attachments
Bat statue scap CROP.jpg
Bat statue scap CROP.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Bat statue scap.jpg
Bat statue scap.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Bat Mitch

Re: 13th Hat episode - Batman statue

Post by Bat Mitch »

FYI, I believe the statue makes a reappearance at the beginning of "Catwoman Goes to College".
(The cape and cowl in that episode appear to be painted to match the costume colors, and the chest logo was added.)
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

It does! The cape appears to be "solid" when it's tilted so not likely a real cape. But it does look like the cowl & belt could be the real deals.
Attachments
CGTC - Batman statue.png
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Bat Mitch

Post by Bat Mitch »

I basically agree that the statue was probably some kinda generic caped figure dug out of prop storage (e.g. could've been Roman statue), with cowl and belt added for use in Batman episodes.
The cowl looks, to my untrained eye, like it might be from the pilot, but I could be wrong. (It seems like we didn't see too much of the pilot cowl beyond early first season.)
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

If you watch the scene where the goon fall with the statue, when it hits the ground the head pops up as he falls on the stomach/chest area meaning the body is not solid but probably just a soft dummy, so it could be an actual costume painted perhaps??.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Wasn't the pilot belt modified and used in the first couple of following episodes? Currently known as the Hardman belt?
eewdoc

Post by eewdoc »

Batman is wearing the Pilot cowl when he breaks out of the plaster.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I posted this image on my Instagram page a while back and it showed up on Facebook.
I love this statue!

I believe the cowl is a trimmed casting of the shell that has been fleshed out with plaster soaked fabric.
The belt boxes look like simple blocks with an applied flap.

I never noticed the bounce! It does look like the ankles or lower legs gave way from the angle of the base in relation to the standing figure.

Yes, the pilot "pouches" were flipped and edited to create the round tab boxes. I noticed this on the Hardeman belt. You can faintly make out the full flap shape in the leather and the carved pinstripe is visible in the round tab.

Man I wish I had been in L.A. when 20th shut down!!! This statue would be in my living room!!!
Attachments
Batman S01E13 - The Thirteenth Hat - 3989.jpg
leather (2).jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Interesting statue. The hands look very large in proportion to the body. Everything has the appearance of fabric on something then fiberglass or stucco over that that increases the size.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The things you guys find in this series is amazing
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!