Bat-Shield Mystery Solved?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

Bat-Shield Mystery Solved?

Post by Ben Bentley »

For almost as long as i've been a member here, people have been musing as to why the letter "S" on the Bat-Shield moved during the show's run. Were there multiple shields used in S1 and S2? Did something happen to the first shield? With the Comisar Collection Bat-Shield back up for auction, I decided to do some further digging and I think i've found the smoking gun...

Chuck Williams

Re: Bat-Shield Mystery Solved?

Post by Chuck Williams »

Excellent Work Ben!!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

For whatever reason, I can’t get the video to play.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Chuck Williams wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:18 pm Excellent Work Ben!!!
Thank you, Sir!
BiffPow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:10 pm For whatever reason, I can’t get the video to play.
Are you still having issues? I've tested it in a few browsers and also on my phone, a-ok so far.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Great detective work. I can't believe no one has brought up or seen that broken shield incident before? Maybe because of the dvd/BluRay's quality it is now more easily noticeable?? Wonder why they just didn't replace the plastic and just put back on the BAT? Maybe re-did it all for a for better spacing for a better look. I have showed this montage made in 2005 using the available video quality then and my how the prices have jumped. I don't know what it actually went for in 1990 but the estimate was $1,500-2,500.
Attachments
foldingbatshield.jpg
batshieldauctionpix copy.jpg
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:38 pm
Thank you, Sir!
BiffPow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:10 pm For whatever reason, I can’t get the video to play.
Are you still having issues? I've tested it in a few browsers and also on my phone, a-ok so far.

This is what it looks like, whether I use my Mac computer or my iPhone. Maybe it’s not Mac compatible?
Attachments
D937FDA3-6DFA-48EE-9849-45BF7BBAD119.jpeg
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

BiffPow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:46 pm This is what it looks like, whether I use my Mac computer or my iPhone. Maybe it’s not Mac compatible?
The video plays fine on my Mac, but I just checked and I'm getting the same gray box on my iPhone.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BiffPow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:46 pm
Thank you, Sir!

This is what it looks like, whether I use my Mac computer or my iPhone. Maybe it’s not Mac compatible?
Sorry for the run around, Jim. From some further research it appears there's some inconsistent WebM incompatibilities with iOS devices. It playback worked on my iPhone 13 initially but then didn't today, but it was fully working on all three browsers on my Mac. Anyhoo, i've cut out the middle-man and embedded an unlisted YouTube video to replace the file we hosted here natively on the back end of the site.

Enjoy!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:59 pm Great detective work. I can't believe no one has brought up or seen that broken shield incident before? Maybe because of the dvd/BluRay's quality it is now more easily noticeable?? Wonder why they just didn't replace the plastic and just put back on the BAT? Maybe re-did it all for a for better spacing for a better look. I have showed this montage made in 2005 using the available video quality then and my how the prices have jumped. I don't know what it actually went for in 1990 but the estimate was $1,500-2,500.
Thanks, AP! Initially, I couldn't believe it when I saw it either, but you hit the nail on the head with the Blu Ray quality. We would have never spotted this in a million years through the haze of my FX VHS tapes or the horribly compressed TV Land bootlegs we all clung on to. Haha
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I saw it this time. Nice detective work “piecing” it together!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:21 am
BiffPow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:46 pm

Thank you, Sir!

Sorry for the run around, Jim. From some further research it appears there's some inconsistent WebM incompatibilities with iOS devices. It playback worked on my iPhone 13 initially but then didn't today, but it was fully working on all three browsers on my Mac. Anyhoo, i've cut out the middle-man and embedded an unlisted YouTube video to replace the file we hosted here natively on the back end of the site.

Enjoy!

Sorry to have caused you extra work (and thank you), but what a FANTASTIC video!! Again, this, or some variation of it, (along with the Bat road locations video by you and Scott) should be included as bonus features on future Blu Ray/DVD releases. Very informative and interesting!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Nice work! Where's the "like" button on this thing...
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"