Robin (Burt Ward) on "The Clown Show"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BAT 77

Robin (Burt Ward) on "The Clown Show"

Post by BAT 77 »

I get the weirdest stuff on my YouTube suggestions sometimes, and I don't think I've seen this on the board before, so apologies if it has. Burt Ward, as Robin, making an appearance on "The Clown Show" in Seattle. I'm pretty sure this is from 1976 as Burt mentions the upcoming Filmation cartoon series. What's fascinating is that he describes it as half-animated and half-live action, as in Burt and Adam were originally going to film segments as Batman and Robin. I'm guessing it would've been for the "Bat Message" segment at the end.

CW: Clowns!

BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Ben Bentley

Re: Robin (Burt Ward) on "The Clown Show"

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks for sharing this JB, i've personally never seen this before!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Oh, my.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yikes.
Didn't Filmation do a live action/cartoon thing? I seem to remember either the real life Lone Ranger or Shazam giving us safety tips after the cartoon was over, but it could be just faded memory.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

AndyFish wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:43 am Yikes.
Didn't Filmation do a live action/cartoon thing? I seem to remember either the real life Lone Ranger or Shazam giving us safety tips after the cartoon was over, but it could be just faded memory.
Don't know about The Long Ranger, but the Shazam show was all live-action, and yes Capt. Marvel would give the lesson at the end of the episode.

I have to wonder if either A) the live-action segments with Adam and Burt were to have been filmed but were scrapped; B) the live-action segments were filmed and are in a vault somewhere; or C) Burt was, as usual, being an unreliable narrator? I don't think he would've confused the work he did on the Filmation series with that of "Legends of the Super-Heroes" as the later was a Hanna-Barbera production, and it was filmed in 1978 - a full year after the Filmation series aired.

Per the YouTube comments, this was "The JP Patches Show" in Seattle.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BAT 77 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:24 am
AndyFish wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:43 am Yikes.
Don't know about The Long Ranger, but the Shazam show was all live-action, and yes Capt. Marvel would give the lesson at the end of the episode.

I have to wonder if either A) the live-action segments with Adam and Burt were to have been filmed but were scrapped; B) the live-action segments were filmed and are in a vault somewhere; or C) Burt was, as usual, being an unreliable narrator? I don't think he would've confused the work he did on the Filmation series with that of "Legends of the Super-Heroes" as the later was a Hanna-Barbera production, and it was filmed in 1978 - a full year after the Filmation series aired.

Per the YouTube comments, this was "The JP Patches Show" in Seattle.
I'm leaning towards theory C given how often Adam and Burt seemed to imply throughout the 70's that them being back on-screen as the Dynamic Duo in some project or other was right around the corner.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

There was also a Shazam show that was all cartoon-- I don't know if the live action Captain Marvel made appearances from his own show on it.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Fun video showcasing Burt's acting and improv skills. Notice the cape is not from the show judging by the length, at least a foot too long, and the collar, almost a foot too wide.
thanks for sharing.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

My son thought it was impressive that they apparently time-traveled to the Seattle of the 2020s. :lol: