General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

MeTV ideas for Bat Villains

Post by clavierankh »

BiffPow

Re: MeTV ideas for Bat Villaons

Post by BiffPow »

I could’ve seen Jack Palance as Two Face or Deadshot.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Sorry, about Ann Margaret as Poison Ivy. My vote goes to Deanna Lund as Poison Ivy. She was already on the show as Riddler's Girlfriend, and I think she would have done a great job.

--jthree
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Jthree wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:20 pm Sorry, about Ann Margaret as Poison Ivy. My vote goes to Deanna Lund as Poison Ivy. She was already on the show as Riddler's Girlfriend, and I think she would have done a great job.

--jthree
Ann Margaret and Deanna Lund both would have been good choices, but, interestingly, I think Carmine Infantino’s version of Poison Ivy on the cover of Batman 181 (1966) looks to be a red-haired Julie Newmar. That face and figure is definitely Newmar.
AndyFish

Re: MeTV ideas for Bat Villains

Post by AndyFish »

I think the majority of ME-TV's picks were a stretch. Andy Griffith as Two Face? Doesn't work for me. And the made up villains are worse than the bad ones we got on the show already.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

In fairness, Andy Griffith has effectively played the villain. I remember watching him in a TV movie called “Pray for the Wildcats.” Definitely not an Andy Taylor characterization. Of course, he also played a cartoonish Dr. Evil type of villain in “Spy Hard.”

But, I agree, Andy. I think there would be better picks for many of the villains. Some on the list actually didn’t even exist in the comic books at the time the show aired.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm a big fan of Andy Griffith, but Two Face was initially created as a very vain metrosexual type of guy, obsessed with his appearance, I don't get that from Andy or from Clint Eastwood (who was rumored to be in contention but I don't buy it). You needed a Dean Martin kind of guy for the role. It was only later on that Harvey Dent (originally named Harvey KENT) became a close ally of Bruce Wayne's or Batman's-- the crusading DA thing came later.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Valid.