Bat-Villains and their masks

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddler Fan

Bat-Villains and their masks

Post by Riddler Fan »

Has anyone ever wondered why the Bat-Villain(esse)s bother wearing mask? Are they dumb enough to think that people couldn't identify them just by their outrageous costumes? I can just see one witness saying...............

"Yes, she was a tall blonde woman (or short black woman or average sized bruntte) wearing a black skin tight suit with cat ears in her hair and she purred alot, but I can't say for sure it was Catwoman, her eyes were covered with a mask"
dell

Re: Bat-Villains and their masks

Post by dell »

You make an excellent point Riddler Fan. I think the masks were more of a fashion statement for the villians. Sometimes the villian just looked more like a criminal with the mask on. Batman, Robin and Batgirl needed them, but the villians were well known with or without them.
dell
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

When Frank Gorshin was at Wally's years ago and we were watching "Hi Diddle Riddle" I asked him why he wore his mask around his neck or on top of his head rather than over his eyes most of the time and whether it was his idea or the director's. He said that it was his idea because he acted with his eyes so much and that he figured that unless his character was in public committing the crime why bother putting it on.

A particular favorite moment of mine where Frank demonstrates his usage of removing the mask to delivering a line is the Batman movie where he's in Penguin's sub. He turns to Penguin with his mask in place. He then lifts the mask over his forehead to reveal his eyes and then says to Penguin (I paraphrase), "I sure hope you know what you're doing?" To which Penguin makes his reply and then Frank promptly drops his mask back in position over his eyes.

It seemed that Catwoman followed a similar pattern of leaving the mask off when in her lair.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I thought it was because he couldn't see all that well with that thing on his face!
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

The one case of wearing a mask in a ridiculous situation is in "A Riddling Controversy". Riddler (John Astin) is wearing his mask inside his own lair counting down the seconds until Professor Charm's demolecularizer destroys ploice headquaters and during his fight with B&R.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Riddlersgurl wrote:I thought it was because he couldn't see all that well with that thing on his face!
Well, he didn't say anything about that at the time. That sounds more like Burt.
Batguy

Post by Batguy »

Riddler Fan wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why the Bat-Villain(esse)s bother wearing mask? Are they dumb enough to think that people couldn't identify them just by their outrageous costumes? I can just see one witness saying...............

"Yes, she was a tall blonde woman (or short black woman or average sized bruntte) wearing a black skin tight suit with cat ears in her hair and she purred alot, but I can't say for sure it was Catwoman, her eyes were covered with a mask"
I'm surprised they didn't do something like that during the series, I think it would have been a great scene to see. I can just picture Robin at the end of the scene where the villain got off exclaiming "Holy Technicality!"
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

There could have, and should have been some consistency on this point, especially with Catwoman. She looked much more formidable with the mask on, and IMO should have always been wearing it except when in her lair surrounded by obedient underlings, but NEVER off when confronting Batman.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I agree with Epaddon. There is a metaphore of costumed comic crook that reaches a higher level with a mask. The mask is even more dramatic when it is not always in place
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Indeed, many an actor who's character had to wear glasses etc, will pull them off their face to accent a point. In a way, Adam with his cowl was in much more of a "pickle." I once asked Adam about that and he said it was a real challenge, so he had to always be thinking of new ways to make his deliveries not seem "stale" by using body language and speech patterns. Some of Adam's "dean pan" deliveries were done in an attempt to make his emotions come through since his eyes were shadowed by his cowl.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

Wearing a mask served no useful purpose for the Catwoman or the Riddler except to help them get fully "into character". In 'Give 'Em the Axe,' the Riddler calls Commissioner Gordon to tell him Batman and Robin are dead. He's not wearing his mask. After he hangs up on the Commissioner and goes to leave, he puts on the mask. Putting on the mask at that point serves no useful purpose since the only people who are going to see him are his moll and his two henchmen. So, the mask's purpose is solely to help him maintain character heading into the big heist.

Speaking of 'Give 'Em the Axe,' the Riddler mask and Frank Gorshin's use of his eyes, there's an unusual effect at the end of the episode. After the Bat Fight concludes in the museum basement and the police are taking the Riddler and his gang to jail, the Riddler turns to threaten Batman. He's wearing the mask but you can't see his eyes -- there are only black holes where his eyes should be. I don't know if that effect was intended or if it was a fortuitous accident but it's deeply unsettling and adds a real sense of menace to the Riddler. The nearest thing I can compare it to is the Michael Myers character in the original Halloween (1978) and its sequel, Halloween II (1981) [both w/ Jamie Lee Curtis]. Often times in those movies, you can't see the Michael Myers character's eyes beneath the mask and that is equally creepy (if not much more so.)
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Penguin and Joker wearing masks made the least sense of all since they never usually wore them anyway.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Didn't they wear them in the movie?

Which I thought was silly, as anyone with a half a brain would be able to recognize them on account of their clothes; not to mention Joker's dead white face, and green hair. Did they honestly think they were fooling anyone?
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Yes, both Penguin and Joker wore purple eye masks in the movie which of course made them look even more outrageous. Actually I was thinking of that when I started this thread.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

If the writer's had used a lick of common sense for the Joker's disguising himself, all he would have had to do is remove the makeup and wig, and wear another outfit.

No one would have recognized him!