Easter Episode

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

raalongi

Easter Episode

Post by raalongi »

Easter is my favorite holiday. And since it is coming up this Sunday, I thought it would have been fun to do an Easter Episode. They did a Christmas one where Santa Claus pops his head out the window. I believe they could have also done something like this for Easter. They could have had the Easter Bunny pop his head out the window in the episode right before Easter

My other thought was if they didn't use the Easter Bunny, they could have done something at the epilogue of the episode. They could have shown Bruce, Dick, Alfred, and Aunt Harriet getting ready to go to church for Easter Sunrise service or something like this.

The Episodes that aired during Holy Week during those years were:

April 6, 1966: The Joker Trumps an Ace
April 7, 1966: Batman Sets the Pace
(Easter was April 10 in 1966)

March 22, 1967: Pop Goes the Joker
March 23, 1967: Flop Goes the Joker
(Easter was March 26 in 1967)

Easter was April 14 in 1968, but the series had already ended on March 14 of that year. (Exactly one month before Easter!!)

Any other thoughts on this idea?? And which do you think would have been the better episode to do it in??
Dr. Shimel

Re: Easter Episode

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Probably the first, since the latter episode appropriately ended at the art gallery.
High C

Post by High C »

If they did something Easter-related, I suspect it more would have involved the Easter bunny or Easter eggs or somesuch. I doubt they would have mentioned Easter service or anything like that.

For some reason, it seems there have been very few, if any, Easter-themed eps of regular TV shows, as opposed to countless Christmas-themed ones. I don't know why, but that's the fact.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
raalongi

Post by raalongi »

And there were a few Easter episodes. Everybody Loves Raymond Had a few and I saw a Bonanza
Easter show several years ago. But you are right there are far more Christmas ones.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The fact that the Easter holiday is all over the map (calendar-wise) might be one reason shows don't bother with it. Another factor back in the 60's (and until the early 80's) is that shows often ended their seasons before the holiday rolled around. As far as Bonanza, I think the episode you're referring was in 1962.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I don't mean to intrude the religious issue into the discussion, but I do think because Easter does at its core represent a weightier and more profound matter for many people than does Christmas, that it does have the potential to seem like too serious a subject for a more light oriented TV show to tackle or revolve an episode around. That's the only point I think should be made for consideration.
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

Well, Egghead would have been the perfect villain for an Easter-themed episode in which he holds all of Gotham City's eggs (even chocolate eggs and jelly beans!) for ransom, potentially ruining the holiday festivities -- egg roll on the mayor's lawn, Easter egg hunts, dyeing eggs, etc.

The death trap? Feeding Batman and Robin into a candy maker, to turn them into giant coconut cream eggs.
High C

Post by High C »

LittleLouisGroovy wrote:Well, Egghead would have been the perfect villain for an Easter-themed episode in which he holds all of Gotham City's eggs (even chocolate eggs and jelly beans!) for ransom, potentially ruining the holiday festivities -- egg roll on the mayor's lawn, Easter egg hunts, dyeing eggs, etc.

The death trap? Feeding Batman and Robin into a candy maker, to turn them into giant coconut cream eggs.
I like it! And his henchmoll's name would be Bunny!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

Well done LittleLouisGroovy, the perfect plot and villain for an Easter themed episode.
Good suggestion for Egghead's moll as well High C
LL
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

A rash of bank jobs could be pulled by a villain dressed in a bunny suit and tossing Easter-egg shaped smoke bombs as a "holy diversionary tactic!" I'm not sure what a good cliffhanger would be, except for the duo to be taken hostage while attempting to foil one of the robberies. It's later revealed the bad guy really just missed out on Easter as a kid, being orphaned and all. Bruce and Dick show the crook some compassion as they themselves were once orphaned and could put him on some sort of prison furlough program set up by the Wayne Foundation working with orphaned children.