RIP Carmine Infantino, 87, Silver Age Architect

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Shemp

RIP Carmine Infantino, 87, Silver Age Architect

Post by Shemp »

DC Comics legendary artist/editor Carmine Infantino has died at age 87.

An architect of The Silver Age of Comics, with Julius Schwartz he redesigned Batman in 1964 and set the stage for the BATMAN television series. As DC's Editor-in-Chief beginning in 1967, he helped launch the Bronze-Age Dark Knight by Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Irv Novick, et. al. He was there in 1956 to launch the Silver Age as the artist on The Flash.

NYC November 2001
Yellow Oval

Re: RIP Carmine Infantino, 87, Silver Age Architect

Post by Yellow Oval »

Truly sad news. I'm a big fan of his work and he was the genius behind creating the yellow oval (originally a circle) for the original, boring, uninspiring, black-only, bat chest symbol. I am indebted to him forever as a Batman fan. :cry: All the greats are moving on...
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP.My condolences to his family.May God Bless them.Thank You.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Prayers to his loved ones. I cannot begin to relate how much of an influence his work had on me. From his for-the-ages creations/art direction at DC, to his mature, detailed work for Warren, to his unique interpretation of the Star Wars universe, there's not much this man could not do.

I loved it all.

The bat half of my avatar is from the work of Infantino (the cover of Batman #194, Aug. 1967).

I feel secure in saying he's one of the top 5 greatest figures in comic publishing history.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bob

Post by Bob »

Loved his work on Spider Woman
66batmaniac

Post by 66batmaniac »

My love for all things Batman is forever in debt to Mr. Infantino and the glorious white background batman pose poster that hung on my wall when I was 5. Thank you Mr. Infantino.
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
Robin

Post by Robin »

I loved his version of Batman - the definitive 60's version that led to me picking up a comic book in the first place. It was also his cover of a Batman comic ("The Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler!") that some say led William Dozier to create the TV show.

God bless and thanks for the comics.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

After the TV show, nothing says "60s Batman" like Infantino art. Easily one of my favorite comic-related images of all time was this pin-up he did of the Dynamic Duo, which became a poster (that I happily had him sign a copy of in the late 90s), the cover of one of the most-cherished books in my home, "Batman From the 30s to the 70s" and one of the two or three covers to inspire more parodies, homages and outright rip-offs than any others in history:

Those of us who owned and loved the Corgi Batmobile die-cast model will recognize another famous Infantino Bat-pose as the embossed image on the bottom of that treasured collectible:

Plus, Infantino's model sheets provided the "look" of the 60s cartoon from Filmation and the follow-up "New Adventures of Batman and Robin" in the 70s.

And of course, he gave the world this pretty gal:

A major loss, to be sure. RIP, Mr Infantino, and thanks for all the fun!
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Earth 2 Chris

Post by Earth 2 Chris »

Infantino was one of the best designers ever to work in comics. In addition to all the great characters he co-created, his power of composition was unrivaled. I don't think anyone has ever been able to design a more appealing cover that makes the reader HAVE to buy the comic.

One of the last of the young Golden Age artists who continued to work through the Silver and Bronze Ages, and, without question, the most important Silver Age artist at DC.

Chris
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Rest In Peace to one of the all-time greats.