The March 26, 1966 Cover of TV Guide

Post by Dr. Shimel »

During that first glorious season
Attachments
BatmanTVGuide.jpg
Yellow Oval

Re: The March 26, 1966 Cover of TV Guide

Post by Yellow Oval »

Thank you so much for putting this up. I LOVE this cover! I was just telling a friend the other day how regretful I was for never colllecting TV Guides or, at the very least, their covers. Imagine having all these binders with the various covers from over the decades in plastic sleeve pages in pristine condition with their bright rich colors, details, and everything? We'd get them every week, scour them better than our schoolwork, memorize the times and descriptions of what we planned on watching and then throw them out when the new one came in. In hindsight - what a waste! :shock:

On another note - imagine being in the supermarket checkout line back in 1966 and seeing this cover for the first time just when Batmania was starting to get known? I have no idea how that felt. I was too young at the time. :oops:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Yellow Oval wrote:Thank you so much for putting this up. I LOVE this cover! I was just telling a friend the other day how regretful I was for never colllecting TV Guides or, at the very least, their covers. Imagine having all these binders with the various covers from over the decades in plastic sleeve pages in pristine condition with their bright rich colors, details, and everything? We'd get them every week, scour them better than our schoolwork, memorize the times and descriptions of what we planned on watching and then throw them out when the new one came in. In hindsight - what a waste! :shock:

On another note - imagine being in the supermarket checkout line back in 1966 and seeing this cover for the first time just when Batmania was starting to get known? I have no idea how that felt. I was too young at the time. :oops:
Since this past week was the 60th anniversary of the first issue of TV Guide, the magazine posted EVERY cover in their history, including many (if not all) of the regional covers:

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/archive/suboffer/

Regarding your lament about not saving TV Guides, perhaps you can contact Frank Costanza. :lol:
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I can remember in the late 60's one issue of the local publication of "TV Times" had a cover with Batman and Robin on it. It was thrilling to see them in colour because we only had black and white TV back then.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

A beautiful cover, to be sure. Several years back, TV Guide reprinted a number of key issues, including this one, identical to the original except for the cardboard centerfold ad insert. They are probably very easy to obtain in nice shape on the secondary market.

I miss the old TV Guide. It was a regular presence in our home growing up and I remember reading those Fall Preview issues to pieces.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Thanks, Dr. Shimel, for the TV Guide link. I had a blast looking through all those old covers reminiscing (as Little River Band reminds us all to do) about all the old shows and even saw some I completely forgot about! Frank Costanza definitely knew where it was at. :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"