Making BATMAN: The Story of a Camp Classic

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

Making BATMAN: The Story of a Camp Classic

Post by rsaffle »

Found an interesting article written recently. Probably nothing new for most of us but it's always fun to see Batman still being discussed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cinemascho ... c/%3famp=1
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Lou Szabo

Re: Making BATMAN: The Story of a Camp Classic

Post by Lou Szabo »

Interesting read. There was a bit more detail than I imagined it would have. I would loved to have seen Julie as Miss Kitka. I wonder how a more serious take on the series would have played. The first season was the most serious, so staying with that theme may have lead to a longer run. On the other hand GH was more serious but only lasted a year.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BiffPow

Re: Making BATMAN: The Story of a Camp Classic

Post by BiffPow »

It’s difficult striking that right balance. “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” had the formula right in the first and, arguably more so, second seasons. A little bit of humor to counter the hefty dose of action and perceived threat. Sort of the way Sean Connery was able to balance the threats in James Bond by injecting his witticisms to give the audience a break from the tension. Roger Moore did it with “the Saint,“ but the writers practically destroyed the formula in the James Bond movies with Moore.

MFU, seeing the popularity of Batman, changed directions and started mimicking Batman - making the shows more silly and less serious in the third season. It all but finished the show off. They brought it back for a partial fourth season, now over-correcting and made it dryly serious, and the show was axed mid-season.

I think the writers, or whatever powers that be, that change the direction of Batman from that balance of threat and wittiness just did not understand. They saw “silly” and thought it equaled “success,” and forgot about the elements of crime detection, wit and somewhat “believable” danger.