Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar to appear at PCC

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

benderdalek

Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar to appear at PCC

Post by benderdalek »

Hi everybody Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar will be appearing at Phoenix Comic Con 2014 June 5th -8th. www.phoenixcomicon.com
They have listed Adam West's autograph fee at $85, Burt Ward at $50, and Julie Newmar's at $40.
I have a couple of questions regarding Adam West and his autograph rules I have read about. Does Adam still require everything he signs to be personalized? If he does is there anyway to get him agree to not to personalize the item. I have the original theatrical release film poster from the National Screen Service Corporation I would like him to sign, but not personalize.
simm

Re: Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar to appear at PCC

Post by simm »

Yes, he and his handler still will only sign with a personalization. I've never understood this since you are already making money on your signature. The only time I have seen them waive this rule is when folks pay them quite a bit extra not to personalize.

Your best bet might be to send Adam items though the mail. When you do that, or when you buy his signed items from his website, he does not personalize and his cost is MUCH cheaper.
benderdalek

Post by benderdalek »

Unfortunately then you can't control where on the item the signature goes and does such and such talent use an autopen. I am not accusing Mr. West of that, but unfortunately some talents do use an autopen.
batfan1970

Post by batfan1970 »

My son (13) and I are attending Wizard con in VA they are advertising Adam and Burt. My son wants to get his replica Batbelt signed by both plus we both where going to buy a 8X10 from both will they want to charge for the belt also you think? personalizing doesn't matter to him
benderdalek

Post by benderdalek »

They charge per autograph. PS I see that Lou Ferrigno is going to be there. Be careful what you bring to him if you plan on getting his autograph. He charges a low amount for an 8x10 and then he charges ahigh amount of what he feels like for everything else his prices are not set at con.
Batman Buddy 2012

Post by Batman Buddy 2012 »

This is why I stoped going to the Comic con events the prices are way to high now days to get a autograph. I mean come on just last weekend at the Motor City Comic con William Shantner was chargeing $155.00 for his autograph thats Crazy!!!! And Yes Lou Ferrigno charged me for a Picture with him with my own camrea CRAZY!!!! These Stars are gettin paid to be there and making the huge money off there autograph too!!! Greed, Greed. So sad :( :(
benderdalek

Post by benderdalek »

Batman Buddy 2012 wrote:This is why I stoped going to the Comic con events the prices are way to high now days to get a autograph. I mean come on just last weekend at the Motor City Comic con William Shantner was chargeing $155.00 for his autograph thats Crazy!!!! And Yes Lou Ferrigno charged me for a Picture with him with my own camrea CRAZY!!!! These Stars are gettin paid to be there and making the huge money off there autograph too!!! Greed, Greed. So sad :( :(
Their website listed him at $75 for Shatner's autograph so that price is shocking you listed.
catwoman-henchman

Post by catwoman-henchman »

Batman Buddy 2012 wrote: These Stars are gettin paid to be there and making the huge money off there autograph too!!! Greed, Greed. So sad :( :(
It depends on the venue. Some stars are paid because they are top draws. Some aren't that important and don't get any perks. Some get paid the FIRST time they do a show, but not the second. If the venue is part of a hotel, they might get free room, but not free room service. It varies greatly. Some places have deals with airlines and with hotels and the celeb gets a bargain rate, at least. Many simply get their on their own and make all the money off table sales. Which is why some stars only do West Coast shows, and others only do East Coast shows that they can drive to easily.

Shatner...got a signed book from him at Barnes & Noble, at list price. No wonder he was looking gloomy. Glad I didn't have to pay $100 extra! But he had to do that event to dispose of enough copies to push his book onto the best-seller list. There's always an angle.

As for personalization, some stars (or their managers) don't like being scammed by dealers who then turn around and sell the item for double or triple the price. They can feel used when somebody begs to get something odd signed...and it's on eBay the next day. It's human nature, famous or not, to resent being played for a sucker.

That said, I agree that it's a bit nasty for celebs to up the price because there are two people in the photo and if you get theirs, it's "more of a collectors item." That kinda thing. Why charge more when you're personalizing, and it's obviously going to a true fan?

As to taking pix with the star, that's also an individual choice. People willing to pay? Then the star charges! Supply and demand. But... I've seen some of the Bat-folk not charge for a photo op, or sign some extra item free because the person bought a photo or two.

For some of them, signing is just a boring thing done to alert everyone "I'm still alive" or to make quick cash to finance something they want. For others, it really is more of the joy of meeting fans and the money is secondary. Julie's certainly in the latter category.

Best advice I can give to anyone coming to a table is to say something that shows you're a real fan (mention some obscure non-Batman thing they did, or quote a Batman line they might not have heard a thousand times). You might be more likely to get an item signed without extra charge, or get a bonus of some kind, like a quick selfie with the star (more likely if there's not a long line).