10 Years Later ... (Scott's 10 Years in Costume)

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

10 Years Later ... (Scott's 10 Years in Costume)

Post by Scott Sebring »

July 3 marked the 10th anniversary of the very first time I ever put on my Adam West Batman costume. Who knew that putting on a costume would eventually change the course of my life? The costume has changed significantly through the years and so have I. Both for the better.

Wearing that costume open so many different doors for me, introduced me to so many new friends and created lifelong memories for me that I will forever cherish. If you had told me 10 years ago before putting on that cowl that I would have experienced one 10th of the things that have happened to me, my wife and some of my friends during that time, I would not have believed you. The costume experience can be different for different people but I always took it as a responsibility when portraying that character. For me, it's like wearing a uniform that means a lot of things to a lot of people that is so much bigger than I am or could ever be. Whether it's been meeting fans at a convention or visiting children in a cancer ward, I've always tried to live up to their expectations while trying to treat each of them with respect. It's been tremendous fun and incredibly humbling at the same time. It's certainly made me a better person and I still strive to do better.

To the many friends and relationships that I have made along the way, thank you for being the best part about this whole experience. There's nothing like 66 Batman fans. They are a different breed and I'm proud to be among such good company.

Thank you with all my heart,
Scott Sebring

And now I'll shut up and share some trips down memory lane. Maybe you'll see yourself in there somewhere. ;)

First photo posted on web of me in cowl. Suit wasn't completed yet.

First time in suit. I didn't even know what I looked like in it yet since I didn't have a mirror when I got ready.

First finger point. Still the very first time in suit.

Sitting in Nate Truman's Batmobile. First Batmobile photo op.

SDCC 2004. Our first Comic Con in costume!

First meeting with Burt Ward

First meeting with George Barris. The start of some great times with him.

Encounter a young bat fan while at the Bat-cave. One of my all time favorite memories in the suit.

With George and the original Bat Cycle

With George and the Numder 1!

The Joyride fund raiser event

SDCC 2005 - First outing with Alex as Robin and meeting my good friend Bob Mitsch for the first time.

One of many great moments with Wally

Alex and I at George's shop before the Bullrun

On Hollywood Blvd at the Bullrun

Cruise for a Cure with Nate Truman's family

Chiller in New Jersey 2005. My first bat-meet-up with fellow fans

Come on! The smile says it all! I'm wearing one of Adam West's original suits! THANK YOU MARK HARDEMAN!!!

At the 40th Anniversary event in Burbank 2006 with Adam.

With the trio!

At the 40th Anniversary event in Burbank 2006

Novi, MI 2006 - 40th Anniversary event. What a collection of costume characters!

My first live forum party in my hotel room at Novi 2006.

"Fanatical" TV program did a feature on me as part of their first episode.

George Barris Street Naming Ceremony - in the Number One with Jonas as Robin

Culver City Auto Show 2007 with Vickie

Doing one of the things I love the most

Filming "The Amazing Adventures of Little Batman" in New York.

Boston Megafest 2007

My second live forum party in my hotel room in Boston. Actually, we expanded into Mark Racop's room as well.

Driving the Batmobile in Manhattan

One of my favorite pics in a Batmbile. This one is by none other than Fiberglass Freaks!

A 2007 promo shot.

Sitting poolside with Ruben Procopio, Adam, Wally and Fred in 2008.

With the late great Lorenzo Semple Jr.

Vickie took this one of me during a Children's Film Festival in San Diego.

Alex and I with the original Bat Copter - Screaming Tiki Con in Ohio 2008

The third live forum get together. We got our own hall this time. - Screaming Tiki Con in Ohio 2008

Had to have a pic inside the Bat-copter - Screaming Tiki Con in Ohio 2008

My favorite Catwoman - Screaming Tiki Con in Ohio 2008

LOVE THIS PICTURE!!! The whole gang with Lee Meriweather at the screening of the 66 Batman film - Screaming Tiki Con in Ohio 2008

Setting up Mark Hardeman's original costumes on mannequins for the Florence Hendersen Show.

On the Gotham Police Headquarters steps at WB's backlot

Strolling through Gotham

With Yvonne in Arizona 2009

Back at the WB lot again but this time with Robin. Alex made me run up and down those steps at least 20 times.

Another part fo the WB backlot

Should we do Bat-climb?

City of Hope picnic for cancer patients. A great group of people putting in their time. This was the first time I met Sam who would become one of my other Robins.

Fourth of July Parade with Nate Truman's Batmobile

"Who are these people?" - SDCC 2009

My all time favorite pic with Adam. Just a candid moment sharing a really good laugh.

Sam and Sara with me at the South Pasadena Police and Fire Department open house

A selfie

Sara, Wally, myself, Steven and Adrian in Palm Springs for Adam's Walk of Fame ceremony there in 2010

Providing color for Adam's Walk of Fame ceremony in Palm Springs

With Yvonne at Wizard World in 2010. We realized that we didn't have a picture of the two us where I wasn't in costume. So we had this one taken. Not only is she a client of mine nowadays but she and her sister Meridel are really two people I can call friends.

A great display of costumes by the message board members at Wizard World in Anaheim 2010

The fourth live forum get together. Mark Hardeman brought his original costumes for all the members to check out and many got to wear that cowl. - Wizard World in Anaheim 2010

At the forum get together, I had set up a photography area where I did portraits of various folks in costume. Here, I talked Alan into trying on my Batman suit to show him that he could make a decent Batman. He's done us proud ever since!

SDCC 2010

These are the best moments!

Delivering the application for Adam's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with Sam - 2011

Entering the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to deliver Adam's application for his star on the Walk of Fame - 2011

A nice picture of Alex and I taken by Ben Bentley while at SDCC 2011

Support your local library!

At Adam West's Walk of Fame star ceremony in Hollywood. The application we delivered was accepted!

With Adam at his star ceremony.

The crossover you never saw - SDCC 2012

The other crossover you'll NEVER see - SDCC 2012

Chilling with Yvonne during a casual little convention in Los Angeles. Very laid back but fun. 2013

Alex and I during the parade at Dragon Con in Atlanta - 2013

At Big Wow Comic Convention in San Jose - 2014

Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman's "Batman Meets the Green Hornet Again" crossover launch party and live podcast held at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Yep. That’s the real Batcycle! 2014

And I'm not done yet...

Um, I mean I'm done with posting picture but I'm not done having fun as Batman yet.
Todd Grimes

Re: 10 Years Later ... (Scott's 10 Years in Costume)

Post by Todd Grimes »

Wow! Congrats on such an amazing journey - and thanks to bringing so much joy and fun to us fellow bat-fans! My personal favorite event was the Burbank show in '06 as it was the first time I got to meet Adam and Burt.

Looks like a lot of great memories in those past 10 years - can't wait to see pics of the next 10!

Todd
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Although my adventures have been on a slightly smaller scale than Scott's, my 3 years in the cape and cowl have been tremendously exciting, fun and heartwarming. My first real comic con was the Anaheim Wizard World in 2010 where I met Scott and many other board members for the first time. It was a great event and I was hooked! Although at that point I already owned a cowl, I was inspired to work on completing the costume. And I never looked back!

Thanks so much, Scott for all of your help and guidance to all of us batfans! Can't wait to see what adventures you will share with us in the future!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Scott Sebring wrote:Maybe you'll see yourself in there somewhere. ;)
Holy cameo appearance! (look over your shoulder)
Here's the rest of me:
And once again, thanks so much for coming to the drive-in!
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Thank You Scott, fellow Bat-Fan.
Martin Zamorano

Post by Martin Zamorano »

Great story, 10 years, wow. Congratulations my friend!!!!
Adam West Squadron BATMANIA - www.batmania.com.ar
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Oh wow. Has it been ten years already?!

I remember seeing those early photos from SDCC 2004 like it was yesterday. Without being overly dramatic, the insight that those photos gave a kid growing up in the UK in the early 2000's into the experience of putting together a costume and heading out to a convention were a catalyst for me, to be quite honest, they began to change my life. Those photos and this board in a pre-social media world opened my eyes to only our fandom but to the notion of a "Comic Con". San Diego Comic Con in particular combined my fascination with a character/TV show and my life-long desire to travel to California. Five years later, I couldn't have been happier to make my first journey half way around the world to finally join in the fun with you guys at SDCC 2009. Fast forward to present day and I feel both proud and blessed to count you guys not simply as great friends, but in fact as family.

It might well have started with a mutual love of TV show and some truly special memories of being in costume, but in reality the relationships that are the wonderful bi-product are truly priceless and something that I know will I continue cherish for the rest of my life.

Scott, Alex and I, SDCC 2009
sdcc09_209.jpg
Preview night San Diego Comic Con 2009, merely hours after meeting Scott, Vickie and Wally in person for the first time. Thanks to Adrian for the photo!
Ben-Scott-Wally-Vickie-SDCC-2009.jpg
Scott, Ivan and TDK, Wizard World, Anaheim 2010
It takes four to Batusi.jpg
Adam's Walk of Fame Ceremony, Palm Springs 2010
It takes four to Batusi.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0238_e.jpg
LA Batfan

Post by LA Batfan »

Congrats, ol' chum! You do the cowl proud!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Happy Anniversary Scott!!
Congratulations on 10 years of bat-tastic adventures!!

Wishing you many more years of fun,
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Wow, simply amazing collection of experiences. Scott, we've never met, but I feel like I know you. Your generosity and passion is felt every day here on the board. Here's to many more.

Andy
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Some great experiences, Scott. How much of your costume has changed over the years - anything original that you still use today?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader »

Great trip down memory lane, Scott!

I'm glad that our mutual love of Adam West's Batman brought us together and we found that we have other common ground...like the Fab Four! We've had some fun times at various Bat-gatherings and for a VERY special few days after SDCC 2007, visiting the Batcave, Tom's shop, and that INCREDIBLE photo-op at George's shop!!! I'm forever in your debt for taking those shots there! :D

It's been a pleasure getting to know you and Vickie and I hope to see you guys in a couple of weeks!

Are you going to make it to Dragon Con this year?

Anyway, Happy 10th Bat-Anniversary, my Bat Friend! :)

John AKA "Mauled Vader"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Batfanman wrote:Some great experiences, Scott. How much of your costume has changed over the years - anything original that you still use today?
Everything has been replaced over the years. Some quite a few times like tights, trunks and I'm on my third cowl.

The oldest items I currently have still are my cape, belt and boots from 2005 (third pair of boots since my first to get it right). My utility belt will soon be replaced with a Chuck. Looking to replace the cape as well in time.

Click on pic for full size.
evolution.jpg
Bama-Bat

Post by Bama-Bat »

Mr. Scott all I can say is wow! HOLY WOW!

You have been an inspiration in both my costuming and my music. I just wish I didn't sell my bat-costume. But I'll always share the memories and good fortune it brought me. Thanks Mr. Scott for sharing these awesome moments. Love the one with you just sitting at the table with Adam, Wally ect. I mean who else gets a chance to do that.

Thanks Again
Jay
BAT-J
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Scott,

My congratulations on your "Bat-iversary." You've certainly racked up some great experiences.

Also, I wanted to publicly thank you for your contributions to this community. By your generosity in sharing your knowledge, and unending enthusiasm, you've helped many of us be better bat men.

A tip o' the cowl to you, sir!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.