With the Duo at World of Wheels, Boston, 1978

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Steve Rosinski

With the Duo at World of Wheels, Boston, 1978

Post by Steve Rosinski »

At World of Wheels, John P. Heinz Auditorium, Boston, Mass., 1978

elmrgraham

Re: With the Duo at World of Wheels, Boston, 1978

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Excellent.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Great pics!
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

I remember one fan lifted the table cloth to see if Burt was wearing his tights. He wasn't. And as you can see, he took his gloves off 1/2 way through-- probably easier to autograph that way. You almost half expect him to keep taking off the mask like he did between takes on set.

Another highlight was Adam calling me a pain in the utility belt.
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Those are amazing pics. I would have flipped out if I were a kid and got to I see them in person.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

I DID flip out! I can still recall the anticipation of waiting for them to come out on stage and the overwhelming exhilaration when they did. They were like rock stars. After meeting them once I kept getting back in line to meet them over and over again. Hence Adam's "Pain in the utility belt" comment.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Sounds like great memories, Steve!

I saw Adam in 1976 (no Burt) at a car show, but I'm afraid the only thing I remember about it was that Adam was in full costume with his arm in a cast, and that they had a trailer behind some curtains where he went to take a break.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

His arm was healed by the time I met him, Gleeps. I too remember a trailer behind the curtain pictured above. Adam and Burt popped out of it to go on stage and popped back in for breaks. I remember Adam's opening line he made while standing holding the microphone: he apologized for running late but he was chasing Catwoman on the roof.

Was he wearing that same mask (Gila cowl) when you met him, Gleeps?
Gleeps, it's Batman

I'm afraid I have yet to find my pictures from that time, so I can't prove anything one way or the other, but I seem to remember something being different from the costume I was used to seeing on TV, so it's highly possible it was the gila cowl.

Has Ralph ever posted any pictures on the old message board of Adam with the cast on his arm? We'd have been at the same auto show. I've read two accounts of people saying the Batmobile was there too, and I have no recollection of the Batmobile, so either I somehow missed it, or it's just because I have a memory like a sieve. LOL. It would certainly make sense to have the Batmobile at a car show, but again, I don't have my pictures to help me.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Steve. It's great that you got to meet both of them! *And* visit Wayne Manor many years later. ;)
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Hijack away, Gleeps! I love when people respond to posts. Yes, I have been lucky to have been inside and out of the Pasadena Wayne Manor. As I mentioned in the Travel Channel thread, that was totally by accident, unlike my intentionally going to Bronson Canyon to see the entrance to the Batcave. Getting to see the Bat Stages 15 & 16 was both by luck and choice. I was lucky enough to get booked at Culver Studios, and determined enough to spend my lunch time on the stage where the Batcave was built. Same with police headquarters at Warners: I ate lunch on the steps.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I love your pics! They remind me of my college days...This is a photo of my Dad, Burt, Adam, and me circa 1985-86 at the Indianapolis World of Wheels (along with the #2 Barris-built Batmobile).
502_100405020091_7935_n.jpg
This was the third time I had met Burt, and the second time meeting Adam.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

What a great photo, Mark! I love how Adam's chest emblem looks so much bigger in your photo. It was also one of the last years you could get Adam & Burt in costume as Warner's Dark Knight version was right around the corner. It may be Burt's haircut, but he seems to look younger and thinner in '86 than he did in '78. LOL
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Here is the headshot from the event I thought was autographed. I guess in the excitement of it all, I didn't notice or care that they were pre-signed photos. LOL

Gleeps, it's Batman

Great memories for you too, Mark. :) Am I seeing things, or does Adam have the cape over the cowl in your photo, Mark? Seems to be less gila effect there. lol

As to the pre-signed photo, Steve, at least when you meet them in person you're assured that they really wrote your name on it. :) I really didn't write to celebrities, (just one time in the 70s), but I found out in the 90s when trying to get an autograph for a friend that the studios a lot of times use a place on Robertson Blvd called Studio Fan Mail that sends out postcards of various celebrities, and those are signed by automatic pen. No idea if some worker at the place ever writes the fan's name on them or what, as I didn't really go that route. I ended up getting my friend some original signatures through a guy who worked at Warner Bros at the time. He's the one who told me about Studio Fan Mail and their automatic pen.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Gleeps, when Adam first took the stage in Boston, he had his "Gila bib" tucked under his cape-- at least as best he could since it was so short. After he sat down, it either just popped out or he pulled it out from underneath his cape. I do remember him tipping his cowl up slightly to vent his face by lifting it from under his eye. It looked like when Batman tips his cowl for respect on the series.

Also, I plan on getting Adam to sign this photo at the next Con I go to. I already have his autograph on other things.