#1 Futura/Batmobile On The Auction Block?

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

Re: #1 Futura/Batmobile On The Auction Block?

Post by Lou Szabo »

Why does George want to sell it?
reasons could include his age, inheritance taxes, DC/Warner issues, 1966 merchandise is hot and he always strikes when the market is hot - right?
Who may buy it?
1. Museums
2. TV/Film buffs
3. Movie/Music stars
4. Business owners
5. Lottery winners
6. Ford Motor Company
7. Warner/DC

Restoration will be tricky - for anyone who has seen Washington's axe at the Smithsonian - when the handle rotted away, they replaced the handle. When the axe head rusted, they replaced the head. But it is Washington's axe!

Still, I think we know what Lee meant - return it to season one (exterior/interior), fix the rust, repair the undercarriage, clean up the engine bay and for heaven's sake, pull off the stickers!

By the way, did the original have a manual transmission - I seem to see a stick shift and clutch, but I don't believe i read any discussion of it?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
svl

Post by svl »

My guess at final price? Over $10 mil. Could go well over that even, be interesting to see who comes to the table.

I also predict it'll be going overseas....
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Hope not. I am curious about your comment regarding barris not making an money on the recent releases from Mattel. Is that documented somewhere?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
svl

Post by svl »

I worked with George on a project a while back. Heard all the "horror" stories about the HW deal.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Actually, according to George's PR guy Ed Lozzi...it's not official yet... Here's what I received from Ed minutes ago...
MEDIA ADVISORY

TO: AUTO NEWS Media and George Barris Fans

ORIGINAL GEORGE BARRIS 66 BATMOBILE AUCTION WAS ANNOUNCED BY BARRETT-JACKSON

Los Angeles- Carscoop.com broke the story from "confirmation" given by Barrett-Jackson Auction House on Tuesday. We have been swamped with calls. So here is the official story:

Barris himself has not yet officially announced the upcoming Auction sale for the Batmobile . The Auction house has. Stay tuned.

Interested bidders are already talking in ($) 7 figures.

CARSCOOP ARTICLE :
It's Official: George Barris Selling Original 1955 Lincoln Futura-Based 1966 Batmobile - Carscoop
carscoop.blogspot.com
batdom28

Post by batdom28 »

I see George everytime hes in NY for shows, and he absolutely adores that car... And he did tell me too that after all the scanning hw did on the batmobile with Georges cooperation, they rally didnt make out on the deal... WOW that really STUNK!!
v194

Post by v194 »

I predict that it will NOT meet reserve at auction but will sell out of the auction setting.
B-J is past the first of the year and I think this will be a rather big blow tax wise to Barris especially considering the new tax laws coming down the pike. He may have wanted to sell sooner but there was not enought time to promote it well. Auto prices are down and that means less competition for those who have the means so I also doubt the final price will be as high as some have expected. Its not the auto boom of 2006 and it is a non restored car that has been modified time and time again over the years so it really does not show well. Hoping that George does not try to "clean it up" before auction and destroy more of the car.
Owner of an Original TV used Black Beauty
Learn the history of the 2 cars at:
http://www.theblackbeauty.com
Troy

Post by Troy »

I agree with Karl 100%
svl

Post by svl »

Have to disagree on one point Karl made. Shape of the car at this point doesn't matter, nor does the economy- it's the iconic value that will push it over the top.

Agree it may sell out of auction, and in any event most likely to a foreign buyer (methinks Japanese Batfans will have much to celebrate next year).
Darren Nemeth

Post by Darren Nemeth »

Wow! I hope it goes on tour so I can see it someday. :cry: :shock:
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/
Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader »

Wonder if the Petersen Museum will bid on it? They "hosted" it for sometime until Mattel/Hot Wheels need to scan it.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Articles are popping up all over the internet and on CNN. I think its finally "official," LOL!
batdom28

Post by batdom28 »

Yes Mark is right, It is official, and the #1 batmobile will be on the auction block in January.. i got an email today from barris custom confirming..
ls1ss

Post by ls1ss »

As I have interests in both the Batman and car worlds I've seen news of this from different perspectives. Clearly here on this board the consensus is this is a great possibility for restoring it to Batmobile glory and making it available for viewing. It might interest us Batfans to consider the view of the collector car world. As we know the Batmobile was based on the Lincoln Futura show car, what those in the Bat world may not appreciate is how significant of a show car that was for Lincoln specifically and show cars in general. For those not in the know, Hemmings is somewhat the "Bible" of collector cars. Take a look at some of the comments over there, http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... o-auction/. Note the serious calls for it to be returned to it's Futura roots.

Personally I agree with the Hemmings' commenters who 1)recognize that the 66 Batmobile is itself incredibly important and iconic, and 2) the remaining Futura bits are too few in number to truly "restore" it to Futura status. Nonetheless it stuck me to see those calls, something I imagine no one of here would have considered.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Thanks for the link, ls1ss. As a huge fan of the Futura and of the 1966 Batmobile, I can understand those that are torn on this issue. My company can help out those seeking a 1955 Lincoln Futura. ;)

Famed sculptor Marty Martino made a spectacular replica buck of the 1955 Lincoln Futura and sold it to me. I restored this buck and popped Futura molds.

Here is a photo of the buck before I restored it:
DSCF0011.JPG
Back to topic:

How many of you are planning to attend the auction in person?