CHILLER CON

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Aussie Batfan

Re: CHILLER CON

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Hi everyone,
I think it’s a shame that these type of experiences have come up quite a few times over the years.
I’d really like to invite responses from Fred and Andrew regarding the reactions posted here. Maybe they can shed some light on the attitude of the actors to these appearances. Why do some fans have such a positive experience at these events whilst others leave disappointed? What causes the polarised outcomes?
I would think the actors and managers would be savvy enough to distinguish between the genuine series’ fans looking for a cherished memory meeting their childhood heroes, versus the sharks just looking to get a signature to make some money.
I have met Adam and Burt once (after a mammoth 22 hours of flying time from Australia!), and preferring not to go into detail, I’ll just say that my experience was very similar to that of Jimmongan.
I also have to say that Yvonne was always more than willing to spend time chatting to fans. Her attitude to these appearances was clearly evident and I always walked away on a high after meeting her. If anything you waited longer in line for Yvonne because she did spend so much time talking to people! But how could you complain about that??
Having read the posts I have to say I’m probably better off to sustain my happy memories of Adam and Burt by watching the DVDs rather than forking out a lot of money in travel and accommodation only to run the risk of being disappointed.
Take care all,
Terry
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

I understand everyones ?? discontent with meeting the BAT-CREW !!!!,,but lets be serious..they are up in age..JULIE even gets around on an electric scoter..so if the do not stand...chat,,,or seem happy to see you..dont take it personal...lets not forget they were there all weekend...I stopped in to see them..without wanting an autograph...etrc..etc..saw BURT was having touble get to his feet...probably because he was sitting for 2 hours..maybe his age has something to do with it also ??? ..when it was time to leave for the photo shoots upstairs....fred had to repeat several times to ADAM,,,{we are going upstairs now to take photos}...maybe his hearing is,nt what it used to be.....I said hello to both and was a little saddened seeing my childhood heroes aging..heck, WE all are....plus the fact they have been doing these shows for MANY,,,MANY,,,years....thankfully I was able to obtain my autographs...photos with them..etc...etc....years ago....so now I,m happy just to see and say hello to them !!
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

When I saw them on Saturday it was a little upsetting to see how our heroes are aging.. In all of our minds eye Adam, Burt and Julie are still the Heroes and villain we saw on tv last week..young vibrant and in great shape! It sucks growing up!
Matt Helm

Post by Matt Helm »

I find this thread very interesting. I have gone to these shows for many years.It has indeed been fun.I did have the pleasure of meeting Aussie Batfan at the show he attended.I supplied two bat vehicles at that show.The shows have been such a blessing to me.I hate to see our heroes aging.It's not just Batman,but all the shows we watched back then.It's been 50 years! Some actors are no longer with us.Really kinda' sad,but reality.We too are aging,as was stated above.Nothing will be the same going forward.We just have to adapt and remember what was.The responses above are proof as to why I elected not to go this time.It was all down to money for me.I was set to go.Room,car, and all. There was just not enough meat on the bone to go.I wanted to hit several actors,plus photos.Lost In Space and all.With 100.00 autograghs,I just couldn't do it at all. At the same time,I have trouble watching all these old shows because of the age factor.Sometimes I want to cry when I see the beautiful Julie on screen, in a old Monkees' episode,then see how she is much older.Hard to handle sometimes.Hope we all adjust to what is,vs what was.Take care my brothers and sisters. Matt
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Autographs is big biz these days , example Stallone charged a whopping 400 at NYCC........I prefer un inscribed (not a dealer) and was willing to pay more for that but Fred and Julie insisted on it and I didnt feel like arguing.
capman

Post by capman »

Morning,

I am a little late here, but I have to ask all those who went to chiller. I went on Friday night and did not go out to see since it was dark, but does anyoen know how much was being charged was to sit in the batmoblie or all three? I am hearing reports of all 3 for $40 to all 3 for $100?
VintageMike

Post by VintageMike »

I was there Friday, and it wasn't bad. When I went into the room, there was a line for Jule and not much for Burt. Adam wasn't there. On a positive note, Since Burt's line was slow he was encouraging people to ask him questions which is in contrast to what's been posted here. I went thinking about upgrading my existing Jule/Adam pics to color ones and it that vein it wasn't worth it. On the Adam front he can charge whatever he wants but I have better uses for $100. Julie was personable but when I last got her signature 14 years year ago the signature was a bit sharper as there is a wide gap between age 69 and 83 that I hadn't considered. Not a bad appearance from my perspective but basically a waste of time for me.
capman

Post by capman »

Thank you for the reply. I should have been more specific though meaning how much was it to take a picture with the batmoblie, cycle and (I think) , boat?

Yeah I saw Adam's crazy line and jsut how impersonal he was. Even though I had my blu ray box in hand, i decided not to get Adam at $100.And sadly,I'm one of those that if i don't get the main person, I don't want anyone else until do.
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Here are my photos from Chiller Theatre!
Attachments
Me with Julie Newmar.
Me with Julie Newmar.
Benjy5.jpg
Benjy3.jpg
Benjy2.jpg
Benjy1.jpg
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think this whole concept of paying a ridiculous fee then getting rushed in an out for a photo is ridiculous. I certainly appreciate that these events are a lot of work, but if you don't like doing them then don't sign up. I know hearing endlessly about a job you had for two years fifty years ago can get old, but if you're charging for your time it has to be more than as living cardboard figures.

There's an absolutely great photo in Bob Kane's "biography" of him standing next to a bored Jack Nicholson at the '89 Batman premiere. Nicholson made about $50M off his Joker role and even he couldn't muster enthusiasm for the man who "created" his character. Either that or maybe Bob was being obnoxious Bob. If you ever meet Jim Steranko at a comic con ask him for his Bob Kane story.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Well put Andy. I am sure these people get paid enough to show up anyhow. I have better things to do with $100. I loved the show dearly, and that will never ever change, but I refuse to pay anything like that for any signature, don't care who it is. It just saddens me to hear this stuff.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I went to the Cincinnati Comic Con where Adam and Burt appeared with the original Batcopter plus the replicas of the Batcycle and the Batmobile. I couldn't afford photos with Adam and Burt, but I did get some with the Batcopter, etc. for about $35 and the people doing that were very accommodating. I really don't see why people are complaining. With the DVD and Blu-ray release, there's some more demand for autographs from Adam, Burt and Julie. I'm happy to see them profiting. If you can't afford it (like me), that's fine, but why complain?
Jersey Jim

Post by Jersey Jim »

Why complain??!! If it wasn't for Batfans like us, where would they be today?? Adam's net worth this year is roughly 6 million dollars..and Burt's is 2.5 million!! Do they really need the money that much to charge such outrageous prices!!? The only reason I went for the photo op picture ($100.00) was because I was suckered into the whole 50th anniversary tour..the last tour! It's a shame..if this is in fact their last tour, my last memory of my childhood hero's is one of disappointment and not a pleasant experience!
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Hi Bookworm,
I don’t really think people are complaining for the sake of it.
What I tried to highlight in my earlier post is the disparity of experience our Board members appear to have when meeting the stars. Some walk away happy with the interaction whilst others are very disappointed.
Yes, I realise it may well vary because of the expectations of the individual, but I can only say that if I spend time and money to meet a childhood hero at one of these events, I would like to be able to chat for a few minutes for the effort I’ve made to attend.
I just think it’s sad that with the 50th Anniversary upon us, and with the passing of more and more of the creative talent, genuine fans should have to consider what the outcome will be like when deciding if the cost is going to be worth it.
For many of us, particularly when you live on the other side of the world, these encounters may well be the one and only opportunity we get to meet these people. I would hope that all parties involved – the managers, stars and fans themselves - work at making it a positive and memorable experience.
Take care all,
Terry
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Hi Folks, I've been away for awhile but recently came upon this post. I was in attendance at this particular con, which by the way was a great success for Chiller!

I suited up and worked with the Bat vehicles both Sat and Sun of the con and there was a lot of excitement about the 50th anniversary of Batman which is always a great feeling that so many still consider the "West" version to be their only BATMAN. The vehicles almost "always" had a crowd surrounding them and tons of people took pics. I even got a few of the celebs to come out and pose and they had such a great time!
John Amos
Antonio Fargas (Huggy Bear)Image
Victoria Price (Vincent's Daughter)
Julie Newmar (signing a Catwoman mask that I made. It was signed by Lee Meriwether at a previous Chillercon)

Unfortunately, the experience that the con patrons had outside did not seem to follow once they got inside the "Batman" room. For example... There was a room devoted to Lost in Space with some of the cast members there as well as the B-9 Robot and working Chariot. Once you entered the meeting room used for LIS, you heard music from the show playing, 2 versions of the robot (1 color and 1 in b&w to represent season 1) you had a display and a backdrop and the starts were standing and interacting with the guests and their was a sense of fun and excitement in the room.

Upon entering the Batman room, however... there was no music, no posters or signage, no excitement... just 3 tables lined up with the 3 celebs sitting there. Folks were lined up like they were at the DMV. They just wanted a signature and then they left. there was no reason to stay. It just appeared like a money maker. Now, I wasn't expecting the stars to be singing and dancing... but the managers could have made a bit more of a presentation, like the LIS folks did. I witnessed I person, who brought a 11x14 picture with them get charged $125.00 for it to be signed! Meanwhile, the signature was no bigger than it appeared on an 8x10. Heck, he didn't even get one of the 8x10 pictures that otherwise, would have been included with the $80 autograph charge!

As people left the room, you heard the grumblings about how disappointed they were. Most of the comments were about... you guessed it... Fred. Once older gentlemen, was freaking out and yelling about how DARE they treat him that way! Who does Fred think he is!!!, etc... I could see the stars were very uneasy, and Burt was asking that someone get security.

I find that people don't mind spending the money as long as they are treated like fans and not like dirt. I attend Chiller 2X a year and have observed a lot of fan interaction and find it interesting how celebrities treat their fans. I'd like to end with a little story...

Earlier in that October, I attended New York Comic Con. I was approached by a young girl, visibly shaken and nervous as she approached me and asked if she could take a picture with me. After taking a few, her Dad pulled me aside and told me that her Mom had passed away a few weeks prior and that he was doing activities with her to keep her occupied. Upon hearing this, I asked if they had ever heard of Chillercon and then told them about the con and who was going to be there. I also told her that if they come to the con, I promised her that I would get her into the vehicles for pics. her smile is still emblazoned in my mind. :o :D

That Sunday morning, she showed up and had a Batman costume on. I brought her over to the car, boat and cycle and she had pics taken on each and every one. her Dad had tears in his eyes while he was watching her daughter smile and be so excited.

Later that day, they approached me and said that they overheard the negative comments that were floating around concerning the experiences various people had with the Bat-Room. She then asked if I would sign a picture that they had printed with her and I near the Batmobile. She said that she did not want anything negative to hinder the memory of a great day. I am telling you all this because it's a shame that so many celebrities (and agents) either have no idea or just don't care about the importance of their interaction and what it means to so many fans. Particularly, one who so many consider a childhood hero and role model. I don't have to tell you, because if you did not feel the same way, you probably wouldn't be here on this forum to begin with.

Dad and Daughter

My day was made.