Adam West at Three Stooges convention

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim K, Bat fan

Adam West at Three Stooges convention

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I happened to see that Adam West will be the special guest at this year's Three Stooges convention.

http://threestoogescon.com/

Of course Adam starred with the Stooges in The Outlaws Is Coming.

Also on hand will be Nancy Kovack who was in The Outlaws Is Coming too, as well as playing "Queenie" in "The Joker Is Wild/Batman Gets Riled."

Has anyone ever been to this convention in the past?
chrisbcritter

Re: Adam West at Three Stooges convention

Post by chrisbcritter »

I have - in August of 1998, a friend and I went to the one in Burbank. I got to meet Adam briefly and took a photo of my friend with him (but completely spaced out on having my friend do the same for me - D'OH!). I got to participate in one of the pie fights with some real good Stooge "impoisonatas", as well as meet Billy Barty and Bela Lugosi, Jr.

Best (O/T) part of the story: After the last pie fight, there was a flurry among the event coordinators: "He's here! He's here! Clear the room! Clear the lobby!" Everyone was ushered outside, and my friend and I grabbed our cameras. Out front a stretched Rolls-Royce pulled up and several people got out. In the midst of them, wearing a silver-gray metallic hooded boxing robe and shades, was... Michael Jackson. We followed him inside at a distance, and he and a bunch of kids went into the pie fight room. It was closed to the public, but they forgot to shut off one of the video monitors in the lobby so we got to see the same kind of pie fight I was in; this time starring the pseudo-Stooges and all the kids - but not Michael, who was just watching off-camera and laughing it up.

Wonder if Michael Jackson got to meet Adam as well?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Interesting story. Thanks for posting it.

And I didn't know that Adam West went to Three Stooges conventions. That's pretty cool.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I wanted to update this topic to let the members know that I have decided to attend - a friend of mine thought the "road trip" idea would be fun so we will be heading out. Unfortunately, I see Nancy Kovack is no longer on the guest list, but Adam still is. I'm curious if he will get the same huge reaction he might at a traditional comic con.

I don't think I will be getting another autograph - I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times and will most likely use my funds for Stooge memorabilia. Perhaps if the crowd is not overwhelming I can say hello to him. Also looking forward to seeing some of the Stooge family members.

If any of our members are also planning on attending, drop me a PM and let me know. Perhaps we can meet for a moment at the show!
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Thought I would pop in with a review of the show and seeing Adam.

It was a strange set up, as they had Adam in a guest room, not in the main convention area (they removed the bed from the room... :lol:) They did have a sign outside the room with the prices: $80 for an autograph on one of his photos, and $100 for your item. There was definitely a lot of grumbling about the prices.

Also at the show were the two actors who played Moe and Curly in the 2012 Stooges movie (Chris Diamantopoulos and Will Sasso) along with Johnny Ginger who was in the Outlaws Is Coming and they were not charging for autographs. The Stooge family members were free as well. So perhaps that deterred some from getting Adam's autograph.

As it turns out, my friend picked up our tickets, and he surprised me with VIP tickets that included Adam's autograph. The ticket that came with the package stated the autograph was for a Three Stooges photo only, but when I went in, Fred said I could have a Batman photo if I wanted. I actually took one with the Stooges as I don't have one like that.

I decided to pay the extra $20 for a photo as I haven't had a photo with Adam since the Screaming Tiki Con! The photo came out quite well and I decided to update my profile photo.

It dawned on me that I actually haven't seen Adam up close since then, and I have to say, this was the first time that I really felt like he is getting old. Don't get me wrong - he still looks great, but it really hit me that the man is 88. I don't know, maybe I've been in denial or something. Anyway, Adam was very nice and even asked to take a look at the photo once it was taken.

I'm guessing that everyone who got the VIP package did get Adam's autograph, but, quite frankly, there really wasn't a line to speak of. Most of the time I walked by to see the room either there was no line or the door was closed. I will say that I heard Fred was allowing folks to just go in and say hello without buying an autograph, and I thought that was very nice.

I'm really glad I went to the show and as it turned out, I'm glad I got to say hello to Adam as well.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Glad it turned out well for you! I recall in '98 Adam wasn't in a real high traffic area - not well lit, either - so there wasn't a line when my friend and I were there.
So, did you try your hand at the pie throwing contest?

"Nuts to you!" :mrgreen:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."