Gorshin Down Under (c. 1982)

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Therin of Andor

Gorshin Down Under (c. 1982)

Post by Therin of Andor »

A friend and I saw Frank Gorshin's stand-up routine in Sydney, Australia, in about 1982, but we had heard he was trying to separate himself from his Riddler character. Because he had been in "Star Trek" (Commissioner Bele in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"), we wrote to Mr Gorshin in advance and requested an interview for our local "Star Trek" club newsletter. During the performance, his minder came out to tell us that "Mr Gorshin wasn't doing any interviews". Oh well, we tried. He surprised us by doing a whole segment referencing the Riddler and even did The Laugh.

Cheronites by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I went looking for online references to that Sydney tour, but found this 1990 reference in a review of a Lynn Rogers appearance. "That quite incredible impressionist, Frank Gorshin, who played The Riddler in the classic 'Batman' TV series, has paid Lynn Rogers the compliment of being the only Australian star he impersonates. In her case he doesn't try to capture the distinctive voice. He goes for the hand movements. Incidentally, it would be good to see Frank Gorshin here again..." ["The Sydney Morning Herald", 7 June, 1990.]
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Re: Gorshin Down Under (c. 1982)

Post by Ben Bentley »

So cool that you got to see Frank perform in person, even more so that you heard "The Laugh"! Rather envious of that indeed!
chetchumley

Re: Gorshin Down Under (c. 1982)

Post by chetchumley »

i also was fortunate enough to see FRANK doing his stand up live. Believe it was 1992 in ATLANTIC CITY,,it was filled by people older than my wife & i,,,,,when he mentioned being the RIDDLER on BATMAN i was the one who gave him the loudest recognition :) ...i have photos somewhere of the show also,,,i did not get the chance to meet him afterwards though....but luckily that was accomplished in 1988 at a convention..i actually met him 3 times "88" '92' '98' the last was with my son...he graciously posed with him & didnt charge us